All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
being on the pill....
      #128443 - 12/07/04 01:27 PM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

i've been on it for a year and i haven't had any problems, but of course whenever its that time of the month, its always worse for ibs-d. My question is the following....i am traveling for work next month for 4 days and the day i leave, i am supposed to get my period. If I skip the month by going straight to the next set of pills, will it screw up my stomach even more? Has anyone done this? Thanks!

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: being on the pill.... new
      #128445 - 12/07/04 01:29 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I do this all the time, but under my ob-gyn's direction. I take 9 weeks of the birth control pills and then have my period after that. I have horrible cramps and IBS with my menstrual cycle, so my ob-gyn told me I could do this.

But double check with your doctor!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#128447 - 12/07/04 01:32 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I used to "piggy-back" my bc pills like that all the time! My obgyn said it was fine as long as I allowed myself at least one period every 6 months! I was great! Most girls who do this usually do get some breakthrough bleeding the first time or two but that goes away the more you do it. Since this would be the first time skipping a period, I'd bring some "supplies" just in case you do get the breakthrough bleeding! But it should help with the other symptoms!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#128456 - 12/07/04 02:13 PM
little suzy

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: Maine

Hi-
Just to add--it also matters what kind of pill you're on. If you're on a monophasic pill (where the hormone level is the same all month long) it shouldn't matter at all. But if you're on a tri-phasic (like ortho-tri cyclen) where you have different levels of hormones each week, it may not work.
I used to be on the nuvaring, which is monophasic, and i frequently went back to back and had no problems. But I when I tried it on ortho-tri cyclen i had breakthrough bleeding for the entire next month.

As for how it will affect your stomach, I've had very odd problems with my stomach and birth control, but it seems that i'm an anomaly. If you're stomach is normally fine on the pill I don't think this would be a problem for you.

Hope that helps!

#128459 - 12/07/04 02:27 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

When I started piggy backing my pills, I was on the ortho tricycline and the dr said if the breakthorugh bleeding continued, he would switch me to the monophasic pills but after a couple of months, the breakthorugh bleeding stopped and I didn't have to switch pills. I was on the bc pills for 18 years and stopped them last february and haven't noticed a change in my tummy one way or the other since stopping them. I have noticed that I get killer menstual cramps now

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#128460 - 12/07/04 02:29 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I'm on Yasmin. I tried this, and had breakthrough bleeding for about 14 days, a week off, then my next period. It stunk -- but my doctor said that's common the first time you do it. Call you doc and check, but probably the only "Risk" is that it won't work, and you'll get breakthrough bleeding for a while.
Good luck.
PS -- I posted to you on the hypno board -- just wondering if you started the CD

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

one more thing ... new
      #128461 - 12/07/04 02:30 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I feel EXTREMELY nauseated if I ever forget a pill and have to make it up the next day, too close to my normal dose for that day. That's been my only tummy side-effect from the pill. It's hard to tell though, since I've been on it so long (doc put me on it when I was about 16 for super painful/heavy periods).

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Argh! I forgot to take mine today! new
      #128494 - 12/07/04 04:22 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I was 16 hours late taking it! Its ages since that has happened, I am so mad with myself!

also just took my antid, was distracted this morning!

--------------------
S.

#128528 - 12/07/04 05:50 PM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

thanks everyone! i think i will try it and see. i'm on ortho-tricyclen lo. i still have a month to decide. if anyone thinks of anything else, keep me updated! thanks again.

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

ANYONE TAKING THE PILL new
      #128607 - 12/08/04 05:08 AM
Chubs

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: London, UK

Hi there,

Just a word of warning! I am suffer with mainly IBS-D. A couple of really bad sessions per week at the moment On my last visit to my doctor regarding my pill he decided this wasnt the best form of birth control for me at the present due to my stomach being the way it is. He said if I am having bad D a couple of times a week this could well be enough to effect the pills effectiveness. So I have had to come off it in fear of creating little ones

This may not be the case for every pill or for every person but I just thought I would let you know peeps.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3874 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1818

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review