All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Antdepressants for C'ers?
      #128382 - 12/07/04 10:06 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I was recently put on Lexapro for anxiety, but finding that it is causing C to be worse. (It could also be from stress, in all honesty).

For all IBS-C people, what antidepressants have you found to be most helping and not increase the C? I did a search on antidepressants, but it did not distinguish if the person taking the specific AD was a C,D, or A. Any advice is appreciated. My Doc wants me to wait it out to see if the C gets better (it's been 2 1/2 weeks). But when I'm C, it feels a lot longer...I will do whatever he says, but I would love some real life experiences from other IBSers to give him feedback.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antdepressants for C'ers new
      #128391 - 12/07/04 10:25 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Augie,

I'm a C'er and am currently on a low dose of prozac. The prozac is working great for my night-time attacks, and hasn't affected my C at all.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#128681 - 12/08/04 10:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm IBS C and was on Lexapro fopr a while and it did not make my C any worse. If it contimues you may want to ask about Zoloft, this gives most people a touch of D!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Antdepressants for C'ers- Jenifer Rose new
      #129475 - 12/10/04 08:32 AM
Augie

Hi Jennifer Rose,
Did the C help you "go" at all or just not cause you D? In other words, it didn't effect the BM's at all? I thought SSRI's were suppose to help us go more!
Also, does it help with the pain at all? What dose are you on?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Antdepressants for C'ers- Jenifer Rose new
      #129520 - 12/10/04 10:36 AM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Please explain: night time attacks of what?

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Re: Antdepressants for C'ers? new
      #129526 - 12/10/04 10:53 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Hello...

I tend towards the D side and would like something to help me not go as much...do you mind me asking what you are taking?

I hope you find some relief.
Sandy

#129547 - 12/10/04 12:03 PM
Chela

Reged: 03/17/04
Loc: California

I'm currently on Lexapro. It's been 8 months now...I think..
It's actually has helped with the "C". I would give it a few more weeks and see if it helps.

Antdepressants for C'ers-Michele or anyone on lexapro new
      #132421 - 12/22/04 12:27 PM
Augie

How much lexapro did you take? I am constipated on 10mg but my doctor pushed me up to 20mg because he said that increasing would actually alleviate the Constipation!

Also did it gas you worse gas. I have also noticed a lot of gas lately and don't know if I am just blaming the lexapro.

Thanks,and GL at your doctors appointment. What a great Christmas gift!

--------------------
~ Beth

#132432 - 12/22/04 01:27 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I think I was on the 10mg Lexapro. I really liked the Lexapro best of all the ad's I've taken! I didn't notice it to make the C worse at all! I'm on zoloft now but after I have my baby, I'll probably switch back1

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#132488 - 12/22/04 04:21 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I had tried Lexapro before for anxiety but it may be terribly dizzy all the time. I take prozac and it has not helped nor hurt my constipation. Maybe you should experiment a little with a few of them until you find one that works for you. Everyone responds to medications different. Prozac has been known to have a side effect that makes you go more....but not for me,unfortunately.

#132500 - 12/22/04 06:02 PM
Augie

Thanks Jessica. I just went and picked up some more samples of lexapro from my doc. He said that sometimes if people increase from 10mg to 20mg the constipation goes away. This makes no sense to me--how increasing a med can make the side effect of C better! Seems like it would make it worse if your taking more of it. I don't have the dizziness from it.

My doc also gave me a prescription for Prozac just in case the 20mg doesn't resolve the C issue. So, funny you should mention it because that's exactly the alternative med he wants me to try next.

I really hope I can start tolerating the lexapro because not only do I have high anxiety, but he has tons of free samples which would save me loads of money!

--------------------
~ Beth

#132523 - 12/22/04 09:36 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

im so glad someone posted something about ADs. i used to take them a little over a year ago and was very afraid to bc i read that C was a side-effect but since it was further down in the list i gave it a go. i was taking zoloft. i took it a total of about 6 months and at a fairly high dosage [100mg] and found that it in a way reduced the pain from my IBS. i suffer from the same IBS as you [C] and understand what you mean when you say it feels longer when youre C. i hate it so much bc it feels so painful and nothing can make it stop. one thing *i* seem to have trouble with is when im in the C state..i tend to get upset and eat more..not caring about how the food will effect and worsen my C-pain. while i was on zoloft however i found C to not be such a big problem and therefore i was able to set the anger of my condition aside and didnt stuff myself full! i see that you already got a few replies from your question but came across and thought id offer some advice. i hope its helpful=) ive not heard of lexopren [??] is that the right name??

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Hi Ashley-Lauren new
      #132552 - 12/23/04 05:10 AM
Augie

Lexapro is a fairly new drug that is suppose to be well tolerated by people. I have tried about 5 others, but have suffered intolerable side effects from all of them, so doc thought this would be a good one to try. Unfortunately, the C has worsened.

I am curious as to why you stopped taking the zoloft if you found it helpful for your IBS? Many of us on the board take them, so you shouldn't worry about the incorrect assumption that if you take an AD you are weak or anything like that. But maybe I'm just jumping to an assumption and you had to stop taking them for other reasons, which may be none of my business!

I just want you to feel better, and if you felt better on the zoloft, why stop? I would do or take almost anything to feel better! Nothing illegal or abusive to my body, that's not what I meant. Well, you know what I meant!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5075 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1761

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review