All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lexapro question (or Zelnorm too)
      #127923 - 12/05/04 07:11 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

For all of you who take (or used to take) lexapro, when is the best time to take it, morning or night? My doc just told me to take it the same time every day. Have any of you have some advice on which time worked best for you?

Also, did any of you get worse Constipation from it? I am already having a problem with C and this drug seems to increase the C. My doc says to wait it out another week (it's already been 2 weeks) and to take Magnesium Citrate (bottled liquid) if it gets too bad. Or Zelnorm,but that stuff gives me nasty headaches.

Okay, if I do need to resort to Zelnorm, when should I take that one! In the am along with the lexapro? Or at night? See, this one gives me headaches and an overall blah feeling. If I took it in the PM would I sleep through the headache? Or maybe I would be up all night. And how long does it usually take to get the BM. This zelnorm is only temporary until hopefully the C from the lexapro wears off. It better wear off or no more lexapro for me!!!I'd rather have my BM's back however small they were, better than nothing. Perhaps there is another option to the zelnorm to help the BMS till the lexapro C goes away?

Any help on either of these two drugs, taken together or just the lexapro alone would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lexapro question (or Zelnorm too) new
      #127961 - 12/06/04 04:57 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

When I took Zelnorm, it was twice a day, morning and night.
However, I guess you know that Zelnorm only works for a few months before your body becomes to tolerant to it.

#127995 - 12/06/04 07:07 AM
Augie

Would just be taking Zelnorm short time. Till the side effects of Lexapro hopefully disappear. Thanks. I hate Zelnorm anyhow. Horrible headaches. Will only use as last resort I think.

--------------------
~ Beth

I'm taking Lexapro & Zelnorm right now..... new
      #128002 - 12/06/04 07:17 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I've been on the Lexapro for 2 weeks. The Zelnorm has been off & on for about a month. I haven't noticed any increased C from the Lexapro. I'm simply very C all the time anyway. I cut up a 6 mg Zelnorm into 4 pieces. I take one little piece (so about 1.5 mg) every other morning about 1 hour before breakfast. I take my Lexapro every night before bed.

Sometimes the Zelnorm makes me have a bm & sometimes it doesn't. I haven't noticed horrible headaches. I tend to get headaches & migraines anyway. I have had more headaches lately, but I attribute that to a head cold.

I seem to have to take some kind of medication for my C in order to not get backed up. Next time I'm at the doctor I'm gonna ask her about an alternative to the Zelnorm. I used to take Miralax, but that doesn't work well for me anymore. It just gives me terrible gas. (Yuck!)

Best wishes....
I understand how you feel. This C is the pits!

#128022 - 12/06/04 08:35 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

I am now taking Zelnorm 6mg twice a day. I love the stuff. If it helps - I am all for it. I know that I am not in the majority here. I haven't had headaches/migraines since I came off regular tea/coffee in the summmer. That was my first IBS - predominant pain attack. I started taking Lexapro a couple weeks ago. The Doc told me to take it at night - thought it might help me sleep - wrong. So, I just take it mid-morning with the rest of my vitamins. The Zelnorm and acacia I take directly when I get up (about 6:00 am) - about 1/2 to an hour before I eat. Same with around dinner. I take Zelnorm around 4:00 then usually I just drink the acacia before we eat.

P. S. - just came back from Target..with all that panty talk this morning I just had to go out and by myself some new bikini's and try a thong - lol

Good luck

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

For those who take lexapro... new
      #128027 - 12/06/04 08:59 AM
Augie

Are you IBS-C or IBS-D? It seems like this drug may be more helpful for the D's? I am mostly C, and this drug seems to making it worse. Have other C'ers used this drug and initially became C but had the C from the drug get better over time?

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't know if this drug is going to work for me, but don't want to give up to quickly!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: For those who take lexapro... new
      #128031 - 12/06/04 09:10 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I'm IBS-C. I have severe C all the time. Miralax was my "wonder drug" for a couple of years, but it doesn't work well on me right now. I've had C my whole life & have struggled to find anything to help it. That's why I decided to try Heather's diet when I recently found it.

I honestly haven't noticed any change in my C issues from the Lexapro. (probably because I'm so C regardless. )

Re: For those who take lexapro... new
      #128032 - 12/06/04 09:18 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I was on Lexapro and didn't find that it maid my C any worse. But I also take Miralax on a daily basis!! The Zelnorm is supposed to be taken on an empty tummy, mt dr said about 30 minutes before eating or 3 hours after eating!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Michele new
      #128035 - 12/06/04 09:20 AM
Augie

Did you take it in am or pm?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Michele new
      #128039 - 12/06/04 09:28 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I took the Lexapro in the AM. It took about 3 weeks before the side effects of headaches, dizziness and the shakes to go away. The few times I have taken Zelnorm, I would take it before breakfast and again before dinner.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2132

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review