All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm a fellow college student... new
      #127841 - 12/05/04 02:53 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

at the mercy of the dining halls and of friends since I'm only allowed to have a microwave and a mini-fridge because of the fire code, and I don't have a car to go grocery shopping. I realize your situation is different since you can cook for yourself, but keeps these two things in mind...

My best advice is to make friends with your professors, advisors, boss or any other adult you deal with frequently, especially someone who has kids of their own. My relationships with these people have saved me from certain insanity. When all my medical problems got to tough for me to handle and I was considering dropping out of school for a while, my professors and advisors came to my rescue. They pick up groceries for me when they do their own shopping, bring me dinner a couple of times a week, and nag me endlessly to ensure that I'm taking care of myself. I realize you may not be comfortable sharing your problems with everyone, but since I work in the Dean's office, I know a lot of the professors in my college who I can trust. All you need is one person who's willing to lend a hand if you find yourself in a rough spot.

My second bit of advice, if you eat on campus in the dinning halls at all, is to make friends with the cooks. If you explain the situation, they are usually happy to accommodate you. I attend a university with over 40,000 undergraduate students, and after some difficulty fighting my way through the bureaucratic channels, I discovered that the people at the bottom of the hierarchy have no problem baking a piece of chicken or steaming some veggies for me if I just simply ask.

Good luck, and I hope you find some helpful advise here on the boards.

Meg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Fasting - Preperations new
      #127845 - 12/05/04 03:02 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I'm almost hesident to post this but... Someone gave me some great advice. Drink Powerade the day before the fast. Now I know that Powerade is NOT the best drink for our tummies, but I found that Icould stomach a glass or two (not in one sitting) if I had some bread first. IT Wokred! I fasted a whole Tish Baa'v (that's usually the hardest fast for me) without getting nauceus. So if you can stomach it. Drink a small bottle throughout the day before in small amounts. It will make a HUGE difference, b/c you won't get dehydrated.
As far as breaking the fast... I usually have a bowl of oatmeal and a lgass of water and then wait anhour before I eat anything else.
Hope this helps. (I was also tols that except for YK ans TB that I can break my fast if I feel sick)
Chany

Meg that is great advice! new
      #127853 - 12/05/04 03:11 PM
Casper

I comepletely agree. If you get close to even one or two teachers it's like having family nearby when you need them.
I found out about my IBS only a few years ago, but I've always had stomach problems. As a dormer I was friendly with lots of my teachers and I even baby sat and toututred some of thier kids. When i didn't feel well I always felt tlike a had several Mommy's on hand to worry about me and make sure that I got rest.
I remember when I was a teenager working in sleepaway camp as an art assitant, I was very C and started to bleed terribly when I went to the bathroom. I was sooo scared and my parents were miles away. But the woman I worked for gave me a hug and took me to the infirmary and just got me through it emotionaly.
God luck with your education.
Chany

A dairy free kitchen new
      #127861 - 12/05/04 03:25 PM
Casper

That's such a great idea. My family would never go for it... but it's fun to dream about. I used to be such a Milchig lover in my pre IBS days and my kids love dairy. Since I know where they are coming from I'd hate to deprive them, but my DH is not too fond of diary so I guess it's something to consider maybe twenty years from now when my little ones have left the nest.
(On an interesting side note, my Aunt's house in London has a Dairy only kitchen. My grandmother cooks them chicken for Shabbat and sends it over, but on Friday night they have a fish dinner.)
If you're considering going Kosher again I say go for it! Good Luck! have a Happy Chanuka
Chany
PS if you have any good recipes to send the dormer, send them my way too. I'm always lloking for new lunch ideas.

Thanks for the recipie new
      #127925 - 12/05/04 07:37 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Just made the tuna casserole; it turned out great! I didn't put in the cheese, but I think I will the next time.

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

jumping in here... new
      #127960 - 12/06/04 04:55 AM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

I do not know anything about the Jewish fast but I do fast a couple of times a year by choice. It is faith related but I have no "rules" as I choose what I want to give up.

I have fasted food for a week...God is awesome, he carries me through! Being borderline hypoglycemic I have to pay close attention to my blood sugar so I drink Slim-Fast three times a day. The rest of the day is water, soymilk or juice, never anything carbonated as my colon would go nuts.

I have no idea if this helps or not but I thought I would share...

It took me three years of not eating cheese before I accepted soy cheese as an option. new
      #128212 - 12/06/04 08:16 PM
Casper

I guess my taste buds had to forget what real cheese was like. I still can't eat it stragiht but it's someting to melt over my pasta or tuna.
Have a Happy Chanukah.
Chany

Re: It took me three years of not eating cheese before I accepted soy cheese as an option. new
      #128239 - 12/07/04 02:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I use it as a substitute for pizza cheese and thats it.. I don't miss cheese anywhere else in my diet and I use just enough on a pizza to hold the vegetables on (I can do mushrooms and some other things like that... )

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I used to be a cheese addict in my pre IBS days. new
      #128317 - 12/07/04 08:33 AM
Casper

So I had to find something. Also I like to eat with my family at dinner time and not feel isolated with my food. Now when they have mac and cheese, I have mac and soy cheese. When they have grilled cheese well you get the picture.

Re: I used to be a cheese addict in my pre IBS days. new
      #128350 - 12/07/04 09:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

makes sense.. I do just a sandwich when they eat something or somthing similar, but Bill doesn't get mac and cheese often at home.. if he does I make pasta for me... just no cheese- some other sauce/topping..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 519 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2997

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review