All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia question for new Acacia User
      #127356 - 12/03/04 11:11 AM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

I just received my 1st shipment of acacia and am about to start taking it. I know everyone says to start out slow, so I want to. I am afraid though because I have to work this weekend and every weekend until christmas, along with weekdays at my other job. So, what can I start out with to be extra careful, because I am extremely gassy and diarrhea prone, even with being on the bread and rice diet all week, I am still very bloated in the morning with trapped gas and have soft stools. Also will it hurt if I take it on an empty stomach, but don't eat until later in the day. Please any helpful hints would be great. Thank you so much.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia question for new Acacia User new
      #127358 - 12/03/04 11:22 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,
There is a post towards the top of the Eating for IBS Boards dedicated to Acacia information, put up by Heather. I would take a look at that if I were you as they are questions and answers link and stuff, so you might get some good info there before starting out.
I am not really an expert on this topic, so I hope you can find some good info there and from some other people.
You should be alright for work, as the Acacia shouldn't make your symtpoms any worse if you do start out with a very small amount. When I started, I was only taking 1/2 tsp per dose. I usually took it before eating.

I put out a post for you the other day asking how you had been feeling, but it got lost I think! How have you been doing this past week? You mentioned you have been on a rice and bread diet, has that made any difference in your symptoms?
Good luck with the fiber, have you tried the fennel tea yet?
Keep us updated!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Reply to Stephie new
      #127368 - 12/03/04 12:24 PM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

Hi Stephie, thank you for asking how I was doing, you seem really nice. I guess after 5 days on nothing but rice and bread, I was hoping for a little bit better of a reaction, I don't know why I am surprised though, because many many years ago I tried something similar and gave up after 2 weeks. It is not that I am not feeling somewhat better, because I am. It is just that I am still gassy and bloated every morning like ususal and I am still having to spend 1 1/2 hours in the bathroom every morning evacuating. It's not that it is terrible diarrhea or terrible pain because it isn't. It is just the same old thing of sitting on the toilet forever then having to go back again and again before I can be finished. That is the main thing that I want to have stopped. I just want to go into the bathroom go and be done with it. I don't want it to be hours long because it has been that way for so long and I am just worn out of doing this. I really don't believe that magically because I am just eating rice and bread that my butt will just say, okay I will just go once and be done with it. I think all the rice and bread in the world will never change that. If rice bloats me today then it will bloat me tomorrow and the rest of my life. What I believe is that this type of food will defineately decrease my symptoms because of its makeup, but as I add food it will get worse, I have already tried to add boiled carrots and white plain potatoe, and i became even more gassy and bloated. I have had a dull bloated stomach ache all day today. Face it I can't get any blander than this, and if this bothers me you can imagine what other things will do to me. I fear I will eventually give up. I will however try to continue on and my acacia and fennel just arrived today, so I will try these. I truly believe that all food is my enemy, and it makes me feel like eating what I want and at least getting enjoyment in that as opposed to this bland crap that leaves me lethargic and just wanting to sleep when I get home from work. There is nothing to look forward to when you work all day and can't even look forward to a yummy meal and treat at the days end. I know I sound pessimistic, and probably people will think I am a downer with a bad attitude, but after 20 years with this curse of a disease it can be hard to be up about it. I know everyone hear has a very positive attitude about this diet and becoming better, but I just don't know if it is in the cards for me. On the up side I haven't had any type of explosive type D movements and that is a good thing, but I am not going completely solid. It seems to have loosened up more as the end of the week came and I can only contribute that to the adding of carrots one day and potatoe the other day.
Well I do hope you have a nice weekend and thanks for caring. I do appreciate it. I know I go on alot, but I have alot inside. Bye.

whoopie new
      #127370 - 12/03/04 12:27 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Acacia sounds like just what you need for your symptoms! Good luck with it. SFSs are fantastic.

Re: Reply to Stephie new
      #127385 - 12/03/04 01:23 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi again,
Didn't I tell you before not to apologise for talking to us about what's going on?? My name may have changed, but I remember! This is exactly what boards like these are designed for. And don't worry about long posts, we all write long posts from time to time when we have a lot to say! I swear, some of my posts in the past have been like novellas. I may publish one one day...
Anywho, I am hoping that once you start taking the SFS regularly the bloating and gas, as well as the pooping will improve!
I dunno if this will mean anything to you as you've probably tried several thing before, but when I was really sick I was eating the "when you can't eat anything" diet and I still wasn't getting any better. It took the diet, AND medication and some other lifestyle changes before I finally felt better. I know what you mean about having to go back again and again to the toilet. I can remember one day really clearly when I was trying to clean off my running shoes in the sink. I remember having to go back and forth so many times, and I was so frustrated because all I wanted to do was clean my shoes. It did get better, though.. but those were some really yucky days!
I know how hard it is as well to not be able to look forward to food anymore, once you are on the ultra bland diet. I have managed since to add quite a few foods back into my diet, but it did take a while.. with the SFS, the diet, and the medication.
Have you tried any of the yoga poses for the bloating? I have found them helpful in the past. I also find fennel tea very good for that. Have you ever tried hypnotherapy, by the way? It may be useful for your IBS overall.
Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

What about Peppermint? new
      #127395 - 12/03/04 01:49 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Have you tried peppermint caps? I couldn't wait to order them from Heather so I bought some at a HFS & they really really seem to help with the gas & bloating. I take a brand called Solaray Peppermint Oil. They're capsules containing peppermint oil, quercetin, rosemary, thyme & chamomile. I used to take fennel caps but this helps even more.
I hope by the time you read this you're feeling better. Stick with this, it does help

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4016 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 971

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review