All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
drinks and appetizers
      #127229 - 12/03/04 05:25 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

Went out last night for drinks and appetizers after work. Just had water and lime (which is OK) to drink. But when it came to appetizers - there was not 1 item I could eat. (I do not like seafood either...). The soup would not work either. What appetizers do you eat when you go out - if any? Anne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: drinks and appetizers new
      #127264 - 12/03/04 07:32 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's been a long time since I've gone out to eat anywhere, but I always remember there never being anything I could eat. I always skip the appetizers altogether, and just eat bread. I know... boring... but I'd rather be boring and/or look like a freak than be in pain an hour later!

I actually tolerate unbreaded buffalo wings pretty well. nt new
      #127271 - 12/03/04 07:46 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Eat not, suffer not! new
      #127276 - 12/03/04 08:10 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Anne:

With IBS, the only safe thing to eat when you're out is your own food which you would prepare in advance and bring with you.

Sometimes you can eat something out if you are able to determine what the ingredients and cooking methods are (and assuming the ingredients and cooking methods are okay).

Otherwise, it's best to bring your own food. Even eating bread out is not safe unless you are able to ascertain it contains no milk products or anything else that might aggravate your IBS.

Personally, I would not recommend drinking lime juice in water. It's best to just stick to water only -- but make it bottled -- what the heck! Actually, I'm an anomoly because I can tolerate freshly squeezed lemon juice on just about everything as long as I have some soluble fibre along with it!

Belinda

#127289 - 12/03/04 08:38 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I usually skip the appetizers at dinner, too. It is too much food if you are also getting a meal, anyways! If anyone asks, I just say 'If I eat an appetizer, I will NEVER be able to eat any of my dinner!"
I am not sure where you are from, but I noticed most restaurants in the US, most appetizers are fried or contain cheese.
In japanese/chinese restaurants, you can sometimes get steamed veggie dumplings, or a bowl of white rice, or steamed shrimp dumplings (Dim Sum)
In italian restaruants, I eat bread first, salad with balsamic vinagrette, or minestrone soup (I am not sure if you are counting soup/salad as appetizer).
I am usually happy to be able to eat SOMETHING somewhere, and don't get hung up on the whole meal package.
As couple of weeks ago I was traveling and wound up at a bar and grill, only thing I could order was a baked potato!

--------------------
-Sheri

#127302 - 12/03/04 09:07 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

It's tough. I get brushetta without the cheese and am fine but I can tolerate raw tomatoes.

At Chinese restaurants, I get steamed veggie dumplings. At Indian places, I can eat pappadums. At Thai places, I can eat Tofu Todd.

It all depends on whether or not it is a traditionl restaurant with nothing but fried food. Experiment a bit.

Oh ya for drinks. Chinese: green or jasmine tea. Thai: lemongrass tea. Indian: chai tea with no milk.

I sometimes get a virgin bloody mary (with no booze or oyster sauce). They come in fancy glasses and people assume you're having booze.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 634 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 491

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review