All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Terrible abdominal pains.
      #12657 - 06/27/03 10:16 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

I had horrid gas last night and I missed about four hours of work this morning because it was so bad. I ate just oatmeal for dinner.

I do have good news though, I lost 51 pounds which is a milestone for me. I never thought it would be possible. I have been watching my diet and eating per Heather's advisement. I exercise each night as well with the exception of the last few days.

My mom thinks something is physically wrong with me since I had an operation on my lower abdominal area to cut out a strangulated hernia. They had to knick my intestine or colon down there, so we think it could be from that.

Any ideas?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Terrible abdominal pains. new
      #12658 - 06/27/03 10:26 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I don't have any ideas on what could be giving you the abdominal pains, and I have also missed work because of this. I'm SO sorry that you have to go through this. I'm new to this board, and have found that the fennel tea suggestion (strong cup, covered and steeped for 10-15 minutes) has worked the best at relieving gas pressure for me.

I've also lost weight on this diet. Five "vanity" pounds to be exact, which I had been trying to get off me for three months. I think it's because I'm eating less (I used to subscribe to the theory that if you put more in one end, it just HAS to come out the other.. I'm IBS-C) but more frequently. I'm making consciously healthier (i.e., IBS-safer) foods choices.

I also also keep track of EVERYTHING that I eat on www.fitday.com. It's a free Web site that lets you track foods, calories, nutrients, etc. There's also a journal on the site that I use to keep track of how I'm feeling that day. That way I can look back and try and discover a pattern of foods or a certain food that triggers an attack.

If you haven't tried fennel tea, go out and get some as soon as you can.

HTH!!

--------------------
~jules

#12671 - 06/27/03 02:13 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Wow! 51 pounds! that's a lot! congratulations, girl! you should be so proud.

Jules, you crack me up! new
      #12674 - 06/27/03 02:20 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I thought I was the only one that thought that. I told my gastro doctor, "I thought if I just kept eating surely I would eventually have a BM!" He just laughed and said no, it doesn't always work that way. Of course, I also told him that I finally realized (I'm a little slow!) that my theory wasn't working when I looked 8 months pregnant and I thought my stomach was going to explode!

#12685 - 06/27/03 05:11 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I have horrid gas, gas cramps, gas pains, pressure, bloating everyday. I feel like I'm going to die it's so bad. I'm taking Phazyme in extra strength. It's helping so far but I wish it was stronger since mine is severe. Congrads on losing weight. Good for you.

#12711 - 06/28/03 03:57 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Two things: if you've had surgery recently, you should probably mention the pain to your doc just to be safe.
Second, I can't tolerate oatmeal. For some people, it's a problem. That could be the case with you, too.

Try the fennel tea - just by some fennel seeds and go nuts.
Congrats on the weight!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#14660 - 07/23/03 09:09 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Jules,

I just read this post! Thanks for this webcite...it's exactly what I've been looking for! You really do know you're way around the internet! (I love google too...but I'm not as savvy with it as you are!)

Hope you're doing well!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Jules, you crack me up! new
      #14661 - 07/23/03 09:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

My husband told me to keep eating so it would come out the other end! LOL Now I've gained quite a bit of weight (7 or 8 pounds) I need to lose! It makes sense in theory...I wonder why it doesn't work? Another digestive mystery...what are we up to now...?

Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review