All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Newbie Here
      #126381 - 11/30/04 12:21 PM
Leah131

Reged: 11/30/04

Hello all:
Everytime I eat I get a wricked stomache. Sometimes I get gas. When I go to the bathroom my pains are gone. I have tired everything nothing works for me. I also get that spastic colon. I had colonoscopy, endoscopy. What can I do so I can feel better again? Write Back Soon,
Leah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Leah! new
      #126401 - 11/30/04 02:25 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Welcome to the boards!

I don't know if you've read this information yet, but there's plenty on the website here that should help you. We've all had success with the diet guidelines set up by Heather in her book, Eating for IBS. You can find LOTS of information about starting here. The idea behind the diet is that you center all your food choices around soluble fiber foods, which regulate your digestion system and "spastic" colon naturally.

You might also find supplements - such as peppermint (a fantastic anti-spasmodic!), probiotics, and soluble fiber supplements - to be a great help with managing your symptoms. You can find information on those starting here.

Finally, we're always around to answer specific questions that may come up as you read through all that, so ask away!

That should give you a starting point to feeling better... welcome again!

Re: Newbie Here new
      #126404 - 11/30/04 02:31 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome!

My stomach hurts when I eat too... It's no fun is it?? Do some foods hurt more than others? I find if I stick to rice, french bread, chicken breast and pasta, my stomach doesn't hurt as much.

A lot of the diets we follow here have to do with eating soluble foods, a little at a time! My advice is to make a food diary of what makes you really ill. It's a good way to figure out what you can and can't eat safely.

Good luck!!

~nelly~

Re: Hi Leah! new
      #126487 - 11/30/04 06:46 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Leah. Welcome! I'm the same. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat most of the time it causes a really sore belly. Turns me off eating mostly. Follow Atomic Rose's advice. The diet has helped pretty much everyone on the boards (unless they're like me and just starting). An anti-spasmodic can also help with the pains. I take one whenever I get them and within 15 minutes they're usually gone or at least bearable.

--------------------
Amy

Welcome! new
      #126625 - 12/01/04 12:16 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I just wanted to say hi...I think Casey's got everything covered! This diet and SFSs, etc really works. Stick at it and you'll be amazed.

Re: Newbie Here new
      #126668 - 12/01/04 01:13 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: french bread new
      #126671 - 12/01/04 01:32 PM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

I was just wondering if you could tell me is there is any specific reason for the French Bread, is it better for you specifically or is there something in french bread that is different from white bread. I have just ordered the ibs book, fennel and acacia from this website and am waiting for them to arrive, but in the mean time since Monday, I have eaten nothing but white rice, white english muffins, water and peppermint tea. I was desperate to give my insides a break from a bad attack of diarrhea on Sunday night. I really don't know what to do next since I haven't got the book. Since I started on the rice and bread, my stomach has felt amazing, unfortuneatly, I might need an anti-depressant because I am longing for a salad and pasta and it has only been 3 days on this elimation diet. I don't know what is worse, eating food I like and getting sick all the time, or eating nothing that tastes good in order to feel good but being sad and depressed because I am longing for salads and pasta and sauce. Does anyone know how long you do the rice and bread thing until you start adding things?

Edited by whoopiecushion (12/01/04 01:35 PM)

Re: french bread new
      #126685 - 12/01/04 01:51 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of time to add things later. I kept my bland diet for 6 weeks before adding things one at a time, but I got sick right away from adding the wrong things. Don't take this time for granted!! You're NOT SICK!

You have your rest of your life to eat. Why not try this for a while. Don't be depressed about not having salads. Salads?! Come on. Are they worth digesting on the bathroom floor? You've had enough salad. You're not missing anything.

First you get yourself *really* stable. Then you add one food at a time to see how far you can push the envelope. Then you take imodium to eat the foods you really want to have. But you don't push it, cos you'll end up right back where you started. It's a dance. Give your stable diet a chance. The long-term result is really beautiful, with you going out and taking part in the life you've been missing.

It's really easy to say "I'm cured!" and slip back into your old ways. No one throws you a party when your bowels don't go out.

Keep it up!! You're doing great!!

~nelly~

what to eat when you can't eat anything new
      #126692 - 12/01/04 02:04 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi.
Take a look at the website section on "What to eat when you can't eat anything at all." It talks about the list of foods (brief, but more than white bread) that you can eat when you're trying to rectify a massive down turn!!! It also talks about the tricky business of re-introduction of different foods. I'll tell you right now though - the pasta will come LOTS sooner than the salad! I too love salad, but havn't indulged for one in about a year because I'm too afraid of what it would do to my tummy! See how it goes for you and you'll be able to get back some things gradually and find substitutes for lots of others.
Good luck
Min

Re: Newbie Here
      #126743 - 12/01/04 03:54 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Welcome Leah!

I don't have anything to add to what Casey already said, so I'll just say hello, and hope you start feeling better soon!

Good luck to you!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 853

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review