All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
PMS and IBS...HELP!
      #126 - 01/29/03 08:02 PM
Rose

Reged: 01/29/03

I seem to get very bad attacks the week before and sometimes during and after my period. Some months I'm okay for maybe one week! Is this normal? I go to the bathroom so many times, I think I'll have to move my office in there!
I also have horrible cramps with my period as well, but I think sometimes the medicine I take...midol, pamprin multi-syptom, brings on an IBS attack. Are there any other alternatives for dealing with IBS and your period?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: PMS and IBS...HELP! new
      #37454 - 01/14/04 02:14 PM
Dolphin

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: NY, USA

This is how I found out I had IBS...I was having symptoms with my period and my Dr. told me this is what it was from. It makes the pain so much worse. There are times where I have to keep running back to the bathroom and I feel very faint from all of it. Now I felt that at least I knew when I was going to have an attack (during period). Now, I have gotten symptoms from food triggers which the doctor never told me I would get. So I'm just learning what are the bad foods by experiencing them and by this wonderful website.

#37456 - 01/14/04 02:17 PM
AngelKitty

Reged: 12/31/03

I have always had mild diarrhea and cramps before and during my period..and though everyone did!! Yours sounds a but worse than mine though...Maybe Heather or someone can suggest a diet chnage or supplement to take during this time that will help you out...

Edited by AngelKitty (01/14/04 02:19 PM)

#37467 - 01/14/04 02:47 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

funny you should post this! I'm having the same thing this week. Mine varies from month to month. This month is a bad one too. I would NOT take midol. It has caffeine in it and I think maybe a few other things that arn't to good. I just use hot packs and take imodium. I also get a bad headache. And my mood is so bad the past few days!!! I can't wait for it to end!Do stop taking midol and check the labels on all otc med's a lot of them have triggers in them.

Good luck! I hope all us pms/ibsers feel better soon!!

--------------------

#37480 - 01/14/04 03:55 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

I think if you can get your IBS stable, it will help. There are two types of period pain - spasmodic (traditional cramping labour-like pains caused by the uterus contracting) and congestive - related to IBS, as far as I understand. The BEST thing you can do is ensure you are stable in the days leading up to your period and do anything you can to avoid constipation. Problem is, the hormone changes affect your gut, and ours of course react severely.

My cramps are so bad I have almost passed out, vomited, and rolled around on the floor in agony. I get the awful symptoms of IBS flare-up during my period - terrible gas, C&D, migraine type headaches AND the awful labour-pains that are so bad they extend all the way down my thighs and legs. It's been like this since I was 13. The pain can last for 2-3 days, almost continuously.

I have now stopped fighting this and accepted this is how it's gonna be and I PREPARE for it almost like preparing for childbirth!!! It is, of course, easier if you're at home rather than at work when the dreaded P hits you, but my best strategies are....

Nurofen (fast-acting liquid capsules) (IBUPROFEN). Not sure what this is called over there. Anyway, with pain-relief meds, the faster acting the better. ALWAYS take with food (soluble fibre base). You really need to catch the pain as you feel those first twinges - leave it too long until you're in serious pain and you've got no chance of stopping it for HOURS (This is advice from very sympathetic female doctor).

Next try heat: my favourite is a hot bath with lavender essential oil - FANTASTIC. I admit I'm particularly sensitive to the soothing effects of warm water, but I never found anyone for whom this doesn't work. If you can't take a bath - use a hot-water bottle, a microwave heat-up cushion (not sure what you call them), or THESE ARE GREAT: one of those - heat-up sticking plasters (band-aid??) that automatically heats up on contact with your skin and lasts for about 6 hours - very discreet under your clothing and I was AMAZED at how effective they are.

Also: drink LOADS of warm/hot drinks. Don't know why, but I always seem to need more water than usual at this time.

Yoga postures: you might not feel like it but some of these are wonderful for expelling gas or bringing comfort to cramps: I find the shoulder-stand type postures very helpful. Check out the yoga boards for this.

What else? PEPPERMINT TEA, how could I forget... once ran out of painkillers at work. This stuff is GOOD. Also try ginger and fennel teas - I was suprised how well they work.

Exercise - if you feel you can handle it.

Last but not least - get yourself into the most comfortable position you can find, put your hands on your abdomen, (shut your eyes if you can) and focus on your breathing - breathe to a count of ???, slowly, deeply and carefully (but don't make yourself dizzy - it's sort of the focus and rhythm that are important). I once stopped my pain dead by doing this - don't ask me how it works, but it does.

Finally, make no apologies for the way you feel - this is agony, you feel awful - accept that and remind yourself how good you'll feel when it's (soon) over. Remember that if anyone who hasn't experienced this sort of pain felt even a fraction of it, they'd have dialled 999 (or 911 to you lot!)

OK, I'll shut up now.
Shellsbells

Which cramps are worse? new
      #37513 - 01/14/04 06:38 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I'm in the same boat as you this week, Steph. This is my second day home from work (no sick hrs = no pay! ) and I've been trying to decide which cramps are worse - menstrual or IBS cramps? Yesterday I was doubled over in my office at work and my boss made me go home; and then today, I was driving to work when they hit and I pulled over to a supermarket and threw up because the pain was so bad. Continued to work, but came home after my boss showed up.

What I find weird is that when I have extreme pain from IBS cramps, I often pass out from the pain. The menstrual cramps are just as bad, but I throw-up instead. I'm just happy I only have my menstrual cramps every 9 weeks!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#37529 - 01/14/04 08:05 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Rose, do a board search. You'll find that there are many of us who find that IBS flares up around "that special time of month".
There have been lots of discussions. Maybe there is something in old posts that can help.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Which cramps are worse? new
      #37534 - 01/15/04 02:45 AM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

I think possibly the IBS cramps are worst - at least with menstrual cramps they're (no less painful, but) a bit more predictable - you can sort of steel yourself for them and you know they'll be gone in so many hours, until the next month. Funnily enough, the menstrual cramps are more likely to make me throw up too - I think that's the hormonal effect kicking in as well as the pain itself.

#37537 - 01/15/04 04:59 AM
ILSA

Reged: 05/10/03

What works for me!
1. You have to prevent. I take Aleve (naproxen sodium)with food three days before the first day of my period without problems. I suffer from Fibromylgia and IBS symtoms are very common. I learned this from my gynecologist.
2. Use heat pads three days before your period also. If you do not want or can not take Aleve or any other ( Pamprin is not good because it has caffeeine and diuretics) try ThermaCare heat pads. They are awesome!
3. Take 1,200 mg of Calcium daily. My PMS symptoms are reduced because of this. Prefer Calcium Citrate. It is gentle to the stomach.

#37538 - 01/15/04 05:06 AM
ILSA

Reged: 05/10/03

I forgot! I am testing a 10-day vegetarian cycle every month to see if I feel better during the week before my period and the first days of my cycle. I am having problems with the fiber supplements so I decided to be vegetarian these days to increase my fiber intake from foods and prevent attacks on these days wich are the most difficult for me. The changes I made plus Heather's diet have reduced my problems 90% of the time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 898 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4234

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review