All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: A teen in need... new
      #126228 - 11/29/04 06:59 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hi there and a big welcome..I was 15 when I was diagnosed...it was severe IBS C and though our symptoms are not the same..I totally understand where you are coming from (I am now 25 and have lived a fantastic life since diagnosis, despite it always being with me - I have spent two years working abroad, got a university degree, been travelling around the whole world for almost a year and now am beginning a masters degree, so don't worry, this does not have to ruin your life)...you are a very very lucky person to have found this site. I WISH I could have had such a site when I was diagnosed. And though some of the changes are not easy, and its more difficult to be spontaneous, please concentrate on the diet, keep a diary and make getting better a top priority....
Welcome welcome welcome!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#126230 - 11/29/04 07:03 PM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

Hello! I'm 17 and I've had IBS for about four years. I thought that only adults got IBS but then I read some other peoples' stories and realized that people of all ages get it.

#126236 - 11/29/04 07:32 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Isabel, you are lucky to have found this site so young! I have had IBS since 17 years old, and hadn't found this site until I was twenty, I am now twenty one.
Lucky for you that being vegan you already have alot of triggers out of the way, you just need to add in the solubles and be careful with the insolubles, and get rid of a couple of other triggers.
If you have any specific questions regarding your vegan diet in correlation to the IBS diet, just post it here or email me (it's in my profile), I eat a strict vegetarian diet myself and still follow the guidelines of this diet and have never been better.
Maybe try explaining to your friends on how seriously ill you are? They may think that you are just making excuses to not hang with them. Hopefully they will come around, I drifted away from almost, ok well all, of my friends from having IBS. But, now I am back on track, making friends, and going out places!
I even go out overnight now!
It will get better, just follow the diet,and I hope to see you around more.

--------------------
-Sheri

#126268 - 11/30/04 04:00 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

HI Isabel!

I know exactly how you feel. I had IBS when I was 17, I am now 47. BAck when I had my first attack, I didn't tell my parents about it, things were not going good in my home. My mom had "left" for about a week, my dad was pretty much a mess, and I was very sick. I was still going to school and suffering in silence. I did not have diahrea, it has been so long ago, I must have been more constipated than anything. The attacks came and went for years and years, I also suffered with trapped gas, not knowing what it was, thinking I had some type of ovary problems since most of the attacks came and went during my period. Anyway, that has been many years ago with many remissions.

Do you have family support? Have you been to a Dr? DId he subscribe you an anti-spasmodic? Something like, Levsin/Hysoscyamine, or you can take Peppermint Caps, many people use these to help with the cramping.

When used to have really bad attacks, I would take a warm shower, get in the bed with my heating pad and let my body rest while being very still.

HOpe this helped you Honey!! I will be around if you need to talk! gayla

#126280 - 11/30/04 06:17 AM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

Hi!
I hope everyones experiences will help you. I am 30 and have been suffering from IBS and lactose intolerance for about 12yrs now. You will get overwhelmed at first with the diet. When I first started I thought I could only eat what was in the book. That is not the case it is a very individual thing. The book gets you started on the right track and it is up to you to form it to what works best for you. It would definatly benefit if you read the book first. It does't seem like you will ever be able to eat fast food or get a bag chips or eat cookies. Once you get yourself on track there will be things you will find that may not bother you but you must get regulated first. We have all went through alot of anxieties and panic attacks with our IBS. It is very important that you take care of yourself first and those people that don't understand are not very good friends to begin with.There are no dumb questions on this site. There is also some good recipes and tips on the recipe board and if you want to talk about anything at all there is the livingroom board all right here on it this site. Good luck and we are all here for you!

#126289 - 11/30/04 06:54 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there!
I just wanted to poke my head in to say Hi and Welcome to the site. Most of the stuff I was gonna say, someone has already said! I think you've gotten some good advice so far, so I'll try not to ramble on for too long.

I wanted to say that like lots of the other people here, I have had IBS since I was really young. I'm 22 now, and I can't remember a time when I DIDN'T have problems with my stomach. I remember getting a report card once saying that I had missed 45 days of school! Yeesh! Anyway, that being said, I know how absolutely hard it is to deal with IBS when you're younger and going to high school and wanting to do whatever you want, and not have to worry about fiber and 'trigger foods' and all that!
I am really sorry to hear that you've lost friends because of the IBS, but I say that if they took off just 'cause you couldn't make lunch because you weren't feeling well they weren't really awesome people anyway! I STILL have a friend who if I say I can't go out to, tries to give me massive guilt trips and acts like I am making up stomach problems just to inconvenience her! She's back in Canada, and I've lived in the UK for 2 years now but I can tell you that I am not going to take any of that so-and-so anymore! When you have a condition that is stress related (my IBS reacts more to stress than food even), people like that hanging around in your life are just making things worse and need to be talked to, given a second chance, and then chucked out if you ask me!
I know starting out the diet is hard, and I think it is especially hard for younger people (all my friends used to eat at McDonalds practically every other day in high school!), but it will SO be worth it! I think it gets way easier too, 'cause as you feel better you stop wanting the foods that you know'll just make you sick.
Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3462 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3322

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review