All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A bit at a loss here!
      #12425 - 06/24/03 05:16 PM
Shannon Kimberly

Reged: 06/20/03

Well I've had good old "nervous stomach" since, heck I think high school. Anyway my symptoms are not as "painful" as some of what I've been reading about on here but all the same they really put a damper on life. I was dealing with the crampy stomach every couple weeks followed by one bout of diarroeh and then I'd be a bit shaky but get through the rest of the day. I spent a lot of time sleeping on the couch cause I could take my mind off of the gassy bloaty feeling I got a lot in the eveing but it wasn't really so much that it hurt just it made me feel a bit sick to my stomach.

Well I was really dealing ok with all this and going about my own business when my asthma flared up. They put me on Prednisone and it all went downhill from there. I started having severe panic attacks along with nausea. I'm PHOBIC of throwing up so this didn't help the anxiety or the asthma. They took me off the prednisone and put me on singular which also has side effects of gas/bloating and nausea with anxiety. I don't have any other options really unless I'd rather suffocate to death so I'm stuck with this medicine as long as my lungs are all inflammed.

So here's my question. I've been following the diet plan and although I know in general this is just a good thing to do, it's not food that's making my stomach upset. I've tried ginger and OMG it makes me want to hurl. It's Tooooooo strong. I'm supposed to go on a retreat with my bible study this weekend and I'm so afraid to go cause I'm so sick to my stomach all the time.

WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?

Shannon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A bit at a loss here! new
      #12429 - 06/24/03 06:03 PM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

Hi Shannon,

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. I have the same symptons as you, and it really does put a damper on life. I, too, have asthma, and for a while my asthma/IBS were horrible. I was on Flovent for a while, and then switched to Advair (I'm not sure about the side effects). Then, about a year ago, I started going to a chiropractor. Now, a year later, my asthma and allergies are under control. I'm off of the advair/albuterol except when I'm really bad (like the beginning of spring). I don't feel as though my chiropractor helped with my IBS, but it might just be that I have to fix one thing at a time.

As far as anxiety...what about talking to your doctor about anti-depressants? I know that some people use anti-depressants to help treat IBS. How about bringing Immodium to your retreat to feel safe?

Good luck,
Kristin

Re: A bit at a loss here! new
      #12442 - 06/24/03 10:12 PM
Shannon Kimberly

Reged: 06/20/03

Advair was the first inhailer I was on. Let me say the side effects of that were about as bad as the prednisone. I'm now taking Singulair (this one is the side effect monster) and Pulmicort (which I don't think is really doing anything).

I just started a yoga class and I find after class now I'm REALLY gassy I hope nobody notices. Good thing she burns a candle in class! I was certinally going to bring my "medicine cabinet" with me. I never leave home without it. But I'm sooooooo tired of waking up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm going to throw up. I need a good nights sleep! I can't afford to be put on anti depressent. I have no insurance and the asthma medication is killing me as it is. So I've got to find a way to cope.

Doing my best.

Shannon

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 362 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review