All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Accutane????
      #123702 - 11/19/04 12:33 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

I am curious to know whether any of you have EVER taken Accutane????

--------------------
Natalie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Accutane???? new
      #123705 - 11/19/04 12:44 PM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Hi - I took accutane a good 12 years ago - I never had acne and all the sudden my hormones must have gone out of whack. I had "pimples" that were huge and painful..below the surface. Sure did clear it up.

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

#123728 - 11/19/04 01:53 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Both of my sons did, several years ago when they were about 16-17 years old. They had horrible acne, the kind that makes permanent scars. I was terrified for them to take it since I have bipolar disorder and Accutane can cause depression and suicide in those that have a tendency towards it. They begged me to let them take it. (They were at a new high school and were so self conscious about their appearance.)

I did a lot of research on it and talked to many doctors about it and decided to let them take it. I am so glad that I did. I did not want them to be permanently scarred by their acne. They had NO problems taking it, and it cleared their skins up beautifully. In fact, I am afraid I almost waited too late to make the decision with my oldest son. He may still have a little scarring. He should've started it sooner, but I can't look back at that.

It is very expensive, but we were fortunate that our medical insurance paid for the majority of it. I think the main concern with it now is that it can cause birth defects if a young woman gets pregnant while taking it. Luckily, having boys, I didn't have to worry about that!!! But they did have to have monthly blood tests done to make sure it didn't affect their white blood count (I think that's what they were checking for.)

Are you taking it---or considering taking it?

#123796 - 11/19/04 05:16 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

The reason I ask is because I took Accutane about 6 years ago and recently discovered cases of IBD, Chrone's, as well as IBS that have been directly caused by use of Accutane. I am starting to be curious as to the real cause of MY IBS.
I think if I could turn back the hands of time I would definitely reconsider taking that medication.
Also a couple years after I took the stuff I had to have a tumor removed from my pituitary gland. I'm not suggesting that Accutane is the cause, but I'm starting to wonder.

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5241 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 752

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review