All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Citric acid new
      #164690 - 03/28/05 10:21 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

It was news to me too yesterday when I read it!

IF the product says GF I would trust it (or I would just lose my mind!) LOL THEN the citric acid should NOT contan gluten in it. I have yet to see this tho...but I don't think tht matters.

If a food says citric acid as an ingredient, like tomato sauce (my beloved tomato sauce! ), then do NOT eat it if you are GF!

I expalined this further in a post I just made while you were writing this post

Acid in natural fruits does NOT count btw. Fruit is gluten free if it fresh to my knowledge anyway

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey, that's great! Hurray for CITRUCEL! Thanks Beth for the info. n-t new
      #164693 - 03/28/05 10:22 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

So if gluten is not listed... new
      #164694 - 03/28/05 10:27 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

on the ingredient list, how do you know what is safe to eat? If any of these "ingredients" are listed, I either call the company and ask if their product contains gluten in the food starch, etc, or I check the internet web site for safe brand name food sources of these products.

For instance, I called McCormick seasonings and they assured me all there herbs and spices are GF. Shouldn't I trust them. And the Hellmans mayo company told me the same thing. Plus Trader Joes and Whole foods put out sheets listing all their GF safe foods, even when these ingredients are listed on the product. So I assume there is no gluten in this "flavorings" or colorings. I also know Mumford Baking soda is listed as a GF product.

Thanks for all the info Ruchie. I think I am more confused and stressed now, however! I thought I was doing so well with the gluten and with calling and checking the web!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Nope, never tried it new
      #164695 - 03/28/05 10:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

This i where I am right now:

I just did a aliva test. if it comes back positive for gluten intolerance I am GF for life. If not...I have no plan B for now.

I went mostly GF in 03' (tried to go all the way but didn't have enough info. at the time, I'm learning now). And hubby recalls I felt BETTER....so...

I will prob end up GF for life. I have not decided that officially yet. But I plan to do the diet STRICTLY for the next 2 years. To kow for sure either way. And like I said if the saliva test is positive then I plan to go GF for life.

I believe from what I've read there is a GOOD chance my heath probs are exacerbated by eating gluten. Eating gluten with celiac can CAUSE fibro and other probs (page 53-73 Wheat Free Worry Free, Danna Korn). So...if there is a possibility of celaic I say stay away (but that's me and I have HAD it with being sick and I am ready, willing, and disciplined...so bring on the GF diet please!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: So if gluten is not listed... new
      #164696 - 03/28/05 10:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Somehwere on the Trader Joe's list of GF foods it says "We are not responsible for a change in ingredients making a food NOT GF. Please check ingredients..." or something like that.

Pretty scary huh?

With McCormick I trust it. BUT I would call and check and re-check every so often. With the disclaimer at Trader Joes' I am more reluctant to be so trusting. If I see something has a gluten ingredient I will ask someone at the store to veridy it is GF even if it on the list. If they aren't sure...I won't buy. HTH *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Very possible!!! new
      #164697 - 03/28/05 10:34 AM
Snow for Sarala

My advice?

Make a decision and stick with it!

Say "Beth...you are going gluten free for_________ amount of time. During that time you will/will not eat IBS safe and you will see how you feel. You will evaluate and make changes as needed BUT not before day ______."

If you have things planned out and you stick with a decision YOU make for yourself...you won't be able to o stir crazy all the time wondering what to do/not do and you can spend your time following your own path that YOU made for yourself and just wathcing the results unfold before your eyes.

I don't know if this would work for you...but it's what I'm doing and it has given me a LOT o hope and taken a LOt of stress off. Good luck *big hugs* YOU CNA DO IT!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#164700 - 03/28/05 10:46 AM
Augie

You are so sweet to be spending all this time trying to help me!

Are you doing a GF diet and this IBS diet? Or just the GF diet?
It sounds like you are not really doing Heathers stictly as you eat lots of salads and whole fruits and insolubles alone, without a SF base. But you probably don't eat the meat, eggs, dairy, and high fats, right?

--------------------
~ Beth

#164703 - 03/28/05 10:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

Right on Beth! Low on the fats as they are my triggers (had red meat Sat. lunch and THEW IT UP Sat. night...not fun!)

If I am helping that's super! I have been through SO MUCH all I want to do is hlp people so they don't have to hurt anymore. Let m know if there's anything else I can help ya with...

Btw...you hlp me too! The more I reinforce these things...the more I live them in my own life!

A wise person say that when we give advice to others...we are really giving it to ourselves. And there youhave it!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie new
      #164715 - 03/28/05 11:40 AM
Augie

Do you eat the insolubles alone and not do that part of the Eating for IBS diet? Along with eating unpeeled fruits alone, and raw lettuce salad alone, etc.

Can you eat corn and garlic and onions?

That was what I was wondering I guess. If you just don't eat the main triggers, but not worry about the "other" guidlines.

Yes, that was a very wise person who said that! Glad you are getting something from my posts, and not just headaches!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Ruchie new
      #164764 - 03/28/05 01:56 PM
Snow for Sarala

Corn yes, garlic yes, onions cooked, yes. Brocolli only pureed.

Thank G-d I can eat some veggies raw...esp. spinach. Others I can't even eat cooked 9like brocolli) only pureed. I think you would have to experiment to see what works for you!

I love your posts silly goose...so keep em' coming *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 797 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25165

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review