All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Another thing to consider....stress...the ugly beast! new
      #164660 - 03/28/05 09:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If a person is quite stressed out and eating GF AND has IBS...their symptoms may not abide as quickly? Is that possible? I have no research/evidence to back this up EXCEPT that IBS can be exacerbated by stress as can celiac. So if we are stressed about our diets I would think this COULD prlong our recovery? What does everyone think about this? Thanks!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I think so! new
      #164665 - 03/28/05 09:57 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

No soy or rice milk unless I knew it was gf! And no citric acid either, if you mean tomatoes, oranges, grapefruit. I do put lemon juice on fish. What is wrong with citric acid for Gluten intolerance, btw?

I do get my millet and slippery elm powder from bins at Wild Oats, so could this be cross contamination? I just started doing this, though, so that wouldn't explain the 16 months of pain and symptoms I still had before doing this.

Wow, that's a lot of possibilities to happen since I do eat GF and am having no relief. How do I know which one is my case? It sounds with all of the possibilities the best thing to do is to stay GF, is that what you think? Or would I just need to avoid wheat. I'm so confused!

I will need to look into that book. I have not had any gluten for 17 months now, and still no relief from gas, bloat, and awful, severe cramps and pain.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I don't want to dispute a doctor new
      #164667 - 03/28/05 09:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

That is sooo interesting! My doctors are so ANTI celiac! They don't think anyone has it except children

I'm glad to hear there are docs out there that ARE testing for it! Thanks LM!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Citrucel new
      #164668 - 03/28/05 09:59 AM
Augie

I called this company and they told me citrucel is gluten free, and I think they even post it on the canisters now. I never considered cross contamination. But in that case, no SFS would be safe!

--------------------
~ Beth

Citric acid new
      #164671 - 03/28/05 10:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

How does this relate to going GF?

Nope, never tried it new
      #164675 - 03/28/05 10:06 AM
Augie

I was too chicken and after "talking" with Kandee, was pretty convinced that my two positive blood work tests indicated that I should stay GF for life.

That being said, I still may try it, as being GF is sooo hard and sooo expensive and inconvenient. Even my GI told me I maybe should try a Gluten challenge. But he isn't one of my favorite people, and I don't really trust his opinion on anything anymore. I don't know what I will do, so I just keep eating GF for now.

Do you feel better eating GF, Ruchie? Even though you have no antibodies? That's the thing. I am going to the trouble of eating GF and cooking GF, but I still am just as pained and symptomatic as before, so what is the point? That's my feeling. But I keep eating GF anyhow, hoping one day it might get better.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Citric acid new
      #164678 - 03/28/05 10:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

"Can utilize gluten-containing grain or by-product in the manufacturing process, or as an ingredient (page 122-123 Wheat Free, Worry free, Danna Korn).

there are others on the list I had no CLUE about when I went gluten free in 03'. It's a LOT to keep up with.

Ground spices is another one...who knew?!?!?! They use flour to keep it from clumping!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Very possible!!! new
      #164680 - 03/28/05 10:12 AM
Augie

I am very stressed out about what foods I should eat, what might be a trigger, what is tolerable, etc... As most people can tell by my frustrating posts! I know you all must be sick of me and questioning every food I put into my mouth!

I think the stress over my pain, not knowing my triggers, not being able to find a SFS or knowing if I should just give up on them altogher, not knowing if I really need to be GF, not convinced there is more going on than IBS, and not having a reliable doctor to go to for answers is probably highly contributing to my symptoms. I don't know how to stop obsessing and worrying about it though. The more pain I feel, the more desparate I feel, the more I work to find my answers, the more stressed I become, the more the pain increases.... A vicious cycle I am in!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Citric acid new
      #164683 - 03/28/05 10:15 AM
Augie

Is it the citric acid that is listed as an ingredient on a product, or citric acid in fruits too? Are the natural citric acid foods safe?

If a product contains citric acid and is still listed or labeled as GF shouldn't that make it a safe bet?

This is news to me, this citric acid link to gluten!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I think so! new
      #164685 - 03/28/05 10:17 AM
Snow for Sarala

Have you had tomato sauce? It contains citrci acid. How about ground spices? Artificial color? Flavoring? Baking powder? Brown flour? Calcium Caseinate? Caramel color? Coloring? Dextrins? Food starch? HPP or HVP? Inulin? kamut? Malt, malt extract, malt flavoring, malt syrup, malt vinegar, miso, modified food starch, mono and diglycerides, MSG, mustard powder, natural flavoring, rice malt, seitan, Sodium caseinate, soy sauce, starch (same prob as citric acid), terriyaki sauce, TVP...I'll stop her!

If you have had any of these (and more possibilities as well), you have NOT been gluten free

I thought I was in 03' but I ate TONS of tomato sauce and soups (gluten was not listed nor was anything else that sounded suspect...but now I am better informed!).

I hope this helps you Beth...if there's anything else I can do let me know *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2968 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25164

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review