All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can't eat anything
      #121682 - 11/14/04 01:33 PM
Fairy

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA

I was recently just diagnosed with IBS and I am not able to eat anything but oatmeal. I am constantly nauseous and anything I eat really makes me feel like I am going to throw up. Six weeks ago I wieghed 121 pounds today I wiegh 108 and I am very scared. Has anyone experienced this much wieght loss and nausea and if so what can I start to eat to feel better and put some pounds on before I blow away?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can't eat anything new
      #121686 - 11/14/04 01:51 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I lost 20 pounds in eight weeks when I was first diagnosed.
Try to eat the things on Heather's "What to eat when you can't eat anything list". White rice with some salt is usually very safe. Casey (atomic rose) did an excellent post a while back on how to introduce foods into your diet when you can't eat anything.

As regards gaining weight do a search on the boards for this with no time limits, it has been discussed A LOT- here is one link to such a discussion and you should find lots of helpful advice from he boards,

Good Luck!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#121690 - 11/14/04 02:09 PM

Unregistered

Like Cailin said I'd stick with the suggestions for the really bland safe foods. I lost 30 pounds in the first 2 months from when I was diagnosed and while it was a kind of a Catch 22 since it was nice to lose a little pudge, but I felt just awful. Once you're stable you'll get back to your healthy weight and I've put 10 of those pounds back on since then. Good luck to you and I hope you're feeling better really soon!

#121691 - 11/14/04 02:28 PM
Fairy

Thank you guys so much for the advice. One more question... Does depression and anxiety come along with IBS? All I can do at the moment is sit around and cry. I feel like the person I was six weeks ago is gone. I don't even feel part of my family any more. I feel that I am on the outside looking in. I can't enjoy food, I constantly feel sick and I have no energy. I have not been to work in three weeks. I just hope that I feel better soon. I have never had anything hit me so hard before. It's just hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again.

#121694 - 11/14/04 02:34 PM
cailin

This sounds very familiar to me..the old sick and tired of being sick and tired, I was in that place for most of August.

I was that person but now that I am stable I am more positive than I can remember being in years, I have more energy and am really enjoying exercising and getting inventive in the kitchen. The way I look at it, the bad foods sapped my energy.
The diet WILL help, get started as soon as you can- I notice a reduction in pain in a few days (once my meds got sorted out) and energy levels great within about a month.

Good luck!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#121695 - 11/14/04 02:38 PM
Fairy

Thank You! What meds were you on?

#121696 - 11/14/04 02:48 PM
cailin

i was on antispasmodics but they didn't help me at all so I am on a low dosage AD now (citalopram)

Talk to your GI doc about what will suit you

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#121703 - 11/14/04 03:11 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello!! I agree with everyone said!!! Try the bland thing for awhile!!! It will get better!!! Here is a link you might find interstering!!!
http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=107637&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Hope you feel better soon!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#121704 - 11/14/04 03:11 PM

Unregistered

It is definitely normal to feel that way. I hated leaving the house and always felt like I was just avoiding social situations just in case I felt sick and especially ones where food was the center of it. It will get easier and you'll slowly become more confident and you'll learn what you're safe eating. I never leave the house without a tin of Altoids and a pill bag of everything I can think of. If you are prepared you'll be more confident and then you're on your way to feeling better! I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel and we all have setbacks no matter how stable we think we are so don't get discourage because it will get better. Everyone here is so supportive too and all know what you're going through no matter what the case. I was put on an antispasmodic and I think that helped me quite a bit and now I rarely take it unless I'm really unsure or just need it to mentally think it will help. I hope you start feeling better really soon and asking lots of questions is a great way to know how to do that quicker!!

Boy oh boy, can I relate! new
      #121706 - 11/14/04 03:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Been there! As of the time I'd found this board - back in June - I had already lost 40lbs because of IBS. (Some of it was weight I needed to lose, but still.) I lost another 15lbs on top of that, and by then I was underweight. I had the same problem you do - constant nausea, whether I ate or not. The good news is that I got better... the better news is that you will too.

Sinead's advice to eat bland is excellent. If you're not already familiar with Heather's IBS diet, definitely do read up on it - her books are more comprehensive, of course, but you can definitely get started with what you'll find on the website, easily found from the navigation bar on the left of the page.

Definitely talk to your doctor about the anxiety and depression. They're completely normal feelings to have when dealing with this condition, but yes, they can and do affect your IBS symptoms. The diet and supplements alone were a vast improvement of my symptoms, but it wasn't until I went on anti-anxiety medications that a lot of my nausea went away, and I was finally able to *really* eat again, and start gaining weight back.

Good luck - and feel free to ask any questions that might come up, we're glad to help!

#121716 - 11/14/04 03:48 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Sweetie, I went through this about a year and a half ago and I had to eventually honestly admit that my not being able to eat had as much to do with my being overwhelmed/"depressed" as it did with my IBS making me sick. Which came first, the chicken or the egg, is the eternal question... but still. Not eating enough ended me up with bad gastritis in my stomach which hurt like heck. And being so underweight only sapped me of more energy, focus, etc.. it's a vicious cycle that I praise the Lord I was freed from and pray I never find myself in again!

Please take care of yourself, try to find people you can talk very openly and honestly to during this time, and eat that bland diet. Fresh veggie juices will help maintain your vitamins/minerals. Lots of hugs!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#121718 - 11/14/04 04:17 PM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

Hello and welcome,

I am so sorry your not feeling well. The nausea is the worst part for you I am sure. You can't do anything when you feel that way. You can't eat so your dropping the weight. It will come back as you start to feel better so try to push that worry aside.

We can also relate to the part about waking up and BAM your old body is gone and you have to deal with this new disaggreable one

This was my husband to the "T" - the diet, working out, good sleep made all the difference in the world.

He did not want to go out of the house either but with me there with him supporting him we went for family bike rides, walks even when he felt lousy. Maybe you can lean on your family at this time? Have them make sure you get outside or to the gym for a workout.

I know it's hard but keep putting one foot in front of the other. Try not to look at the number of weeks you have felt bad or how much longer it might take you to get stable.

Keep repeating a positive mantra to yourself: "I will get better, I can do this, I will get better" (the psychologist that helps our child with "worries" recommended this and my husband adopted it for himself)

It did take four months to learn everything that Heather has to say. Then we had to tweak the diet to fit his needs. We also learned to identify his non-food triggers and plan accordingly (stress from work, travel etc.) Meaning that if it's a tough workweek with travel then we try to have a quiet weekend for him or if that is not possible we have naptime!

I hope this helps - good luck and bless you!

Lefty

Welcome to the boards new
      #121719 - 11/14/04 04:22 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I'm sorry your are having a rough time. I remember being nauseated a lot, too. And I still get that way sometimes now. Oatmeal is good....at least it's a start and has vitamins in it. Have you tried slicing up a bananna in your oatmeal if you can tolerate that.

Try to stick to toast, steamed rice, mashed potatoes, pasta and things like that for a while and see if you can hold them down. Also, when I had my nausea I went to the doc and he said it was acid and put me on Pepcid and told me to eat bland and small meals. It really did help me. I take Pepto Bismol, too. I know it's yucky but it helps me. The doc also has me on Librax to relax me and relax my tummy. I am stressed out a lot and that causes me tummy troubles. Librax has really helped me. I lost a lot of weight, too. From 139 to 108. The doc told me to find which foods I could tolerate and eat lots of that. I lived on mashed potatoes for about 2 weeks. Finally, I started putting the weight back on.

I would advise that you keep a food diary so you can record what you eat and then you will know what foods to avoid.

I know this is tough, cause I think nausea is the worst. You have already gotten a lot of good advice from the others. I wish I could have been more help.

Hang in there.
Barbie

--------------------

#121729 - 11/14/04 05:24 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Welcome to the best board in the world! We have all been where you are now and can close our eyes and remember what it was like. Nausea is one of my major IBS symptoms...it is very distressing. I absolutely support everyone's advise. Start with warm yummy fresh bread to stimulate your appetite and any other bland carboyhdrates which make you feel like you could eat. You can also try going to the doctor to get some antinausea medication. It works for me when it is terrible and I can't take it anymore....
Good luck, and please come back to the boards.
Don't forget that you MUST spoil yourself to help with the depression that comes with this stage of IBS - I love bubble baths, movies, photos...and sex if you feel well enough and have someone! anything that makes you relax!
Lots of love XXXXXXXXXXXXX Please don't give up...

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#121737 - 11/14/04 06:28 PM
littleone24

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: London, Ontario

What an amazing and inspiring reply you gave! It is wonderul to know that there are others who will support those with IBS. I hope I find someone who is very supportive and inspiring to spend my life with.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1830

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review