All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: false positive gluten antibodies blood test UPDATE new
      #219412 - 10/13/05 05:10 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Here's an article - I didn't read teh whole thing yet - which seems to back up what my doctor said about transglutiminate (sp?) tests being much more reliable than antigliadin tests. It says the antigliadin tests often show a false positive when there is intestinal inflamation due to other causes!
http://www.turner-white.com/pdf/hp_may03_celiac.pdf

I found it through this site which seems to be a celiac article link page..
http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2132

Fellow gluten limbo-ites - Let me know if you dig up anything else interesting.
Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: false positive gluten antibodies blood test UPDATE new
      #219446 - 10/14/05 06:06 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Well, to update you all: My family doctor was furious to learn that my biopsy was negative and the transglut. was also negative. There is no reason I should have been on a gluten free diet. Celiac does not run in my family and I did not get better AT ALL on the diet. He told me it's time to completely forget it and go back to a normal diet. I believe I will feel better being able to eat a bit of bread. Well, I already am. I met with my surgeon yesterday and its been 2 weeks since my gallbaldder surgery. There was horrible chronic inflamation there and he said he was glad it came out then. (Augie-- maybe it would be worth a shot!) I am still constipated, but after pain meds and one horrible bout of diarrea, thats to be expected. I'm back on Miralax and praying for some results! Anyway, thats my story. I don't know about IBS-- with the inflamation of the gallbaldder, there is a chance that was causing everything. SO I'll be careful, but we will see.... stupid gluten free life! I would LOVE to sue my GI doc that made me stick to this diet-- it was so expensive and he simply ignored me. oh well, i'm off to eat REAL cereal this morning!!

--------------------
IBS-A

None of the docs think my Gallbladder should come out. new
      #219476 - 10/14/05 11:21 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What made your doc take it out? Could he tell it was inflammed before he even took it out?

I don't have the vomitting that you did.

I am still confused about my diet. I don't know what to eat.

Let me know how the gluten containing diet goes over with you, okay?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Hawkeye!!! new
      #219477 - 10/14/05 11:23 AM
Augie

Quote:

What are you going to do to look into this further? How are you going to eat? Aren't you scared that if we don't eat GF we won't have a chance of feeling better? We can have IBS and Gluten Intolerance and if we eat GF it could still be the IBS that is causing the problems. If we eat for IBS and still eat gluten, are we sabatoging ourselves?

Any suggestions?

--------------------
~ Beth

Please help new
      #219479 - 10/14/05 11:29 AM
Augie

Hey guys and gals....I'm really confused about whether I should be eating gluten or not. I mean, I had the antibody test done 3 times and they all came back postive (not the one specific for celiac though). I doubt I would have 3 false positives over 2 years. But the GF diet didn't help me.

Further complicating this is the fact that when I had my antibodies retested after being on the GF diet, they were normal!

I don't know if I should or should not be eating gluten or wheat free or normally? My docs are no help.

Any opinions from anyone---even without postitive antibodies--- can you guess share what you would do if you were me? Please?

The post above explains it all better. I'm just getting more and more confused.

I know you guys aren't experts, but if you were in this situation, what would you do?

--------------------
~ Beth

So I gather you are going to eat wheat and gluten again?-nt new
      #219480 - 10/14/05 11:31 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Please help new
      #219481 - 10/14/05 11:35 AM
melissamonica

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

What happens when you eat gluten or wheat? Anything different than when you don't eat it?

Re: Hawkeye!!! new
      #219514 - 10/14/05 03:28 PM
hawkeye

Augie,
So far I've eaten a few bites of wheat in the past few weeks. The truth is i"m as unsure as you are. It is possible that I am ( or We are ) wheat intolerant. That doesn't show up on any blood tests according to the doc I saw. It seeems like this is about as murky for dr.s as for us, or we'd have clearer guidelines to follow.
I'm going to experiment very slowly. Lets stay in touch about this though, I'd like to hear what you experience. - Dan

--------------------

personally new
      #219527 - 10/14/05 06:30 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If it was me I would start with gluten containing products that aren't straight wheat. Products that have small amounts of gluten could help test your reaction. I am only giving my opinion because I know you will not hold me to any responsibility and besides you don't feel good now as it is.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: personally new
      #219556 - 10/15/05 06:00 AM
hawkeye

Yes, that is what I've done. I eat spelt, barley, etc with no problems. SO now its on to tackling wheat and figuring out if I can handle it.
Dan

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 808 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6894

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review