All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chinese Restaurant Help!!!
      #120834 - 11/11/04 05:00 AM

Unregistered

I have to go out to a chinese restaurant for a friend's birthday this weekend. any suggestons on what to have besides white rice? should I get chicken or shrimp without any sauce? thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chinese Restaurant Help!!! new
      #120848 - 11/11/04 05:29 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I love Chinese. I never have any problems with it. I ususally get, Shrimp (any shrimp dish, minus the steamed veggies),General Tos Chicken, Sesame Chicken and as much rice as posssible.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#120856 - 11/11/04 05:40 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I love Chinese. If it's buffet you can pick out what you want. Get lots of steamed rice and just a little chicken. If it's by the menu any of the chicken dishes should be OK. And get steamed white rice not fried rice. Try to get the sauce on the side so you can add just a little. Stay away from the egg rolls. Oh, the won-ton soup always agrees with me, too. One more thing. Sometimes if you ask they will leave out the MSG.

Hope you enjoy it.

Barbie

--------------------

#120865 - 11/11/04 06:12 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If the chicken is breaded before it goes into the sauce, that means it's deep-fried - avoid it at all costs. Alot of the chicken dishes - General Tso's, Sesame, etc - are deep-fried. Just something to be careful of.

Things I always found pretty safe were the curries (not as hot as Indian curries, and the shrimp/chicken isn't fried), and on pretty much every Chinese menu these days, you'll find a steamed chicken (sometimes they call it "health" or note that it's steamed with a garlic sauce) and something called "Buddha's Delight" (or something similar), which is vegetarian and not fried, with a sauce on the side.

Can't you tell I used to eat a lot of Chinese? Haha.

Skip all the appetizer-type-things; none of them are really safe, unless they have steamed vegetable dumplings, which are heavenly.

Good luck!

#120878 - 11/11/04 06:51 AM

Unregistered

Thanks so much everyone! You all were a great help. I am actually excited to go now!

good suggestions.. new
      #120935 - 11/11/04 08:42 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

one is missing though- what I normally order.. yu hsaing chicken/chicken in ginger/garlic sauce... it has bamboo shoots- good for us, mushrooms, again good, and without MSG isn't high in fat because the sauce isn't high in oil in most restaurants, and it is actually cooked in the sauce, but no breading so no frying!

and I love vegetable steamed dumplings- can make a meal of them!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1254

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review