All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Very Confused and Need HELP PLEASE!!!
      #120709 - 11/10/04 03:50 PM
Amari

Reged: 10/29/04

Hi everyone...need help!! I got diagnosied by a gastronolgist (sp??) with IBS. I didn't have any colonascopy. I did have all this Blood work done which came back fine. I had an endoscopy to check for bacteria and any reason as to why I have nausea all the time, especially when my bowel moves. That all came back fine and was told that it was proberly the IBS and I should eat more fruit and fiber. I am beginning to think that I wasn't checked out properly. I know that you all are not doctors but I would really like to know your oppion on it. Is it nessary to have all the tests done, is my doctors diagnosis correct...Alot of questions I know...but I am very confused and need help!!
Thank you,
Amari

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Very Confused and Need HELP PLEASE!!! new
      #120720 - 11/10/04 04:01 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Welcome Amari!
I am sad to hear that there is another person in this world with nausea all the time and especially with bowel movements. Nausea with bowel movements is one of my main symptoms and probably the most difficult one (the hardest one to laugh at).
I have been diagnosed with IBS for ten years and never had a colonoscopy (though I am considering one now but very scared for the preparation). It IS true that it is better to have one in order to truly rule out other diseases, but many of us here haven't had one.
What do your poos look like? Are they mainly D (diarrhea) or C (constipation) or a mixture of both (IBS A)??
Have you read heathers books and started her diet? the nausea is most often a symptom of an IBS attack so when you get the IBS under control then the nuasea will get better...
Get back to us on what you are eating and more info on your poos!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#120722 - 11/10/04 04:04 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello and Welcome!!
Alot of us have had the test alot of havent!! I have had blood work and stool samples and that was about it!! My Gi said yep you have IBS!! Since I have been able to control it with diet and some meds my Doctor agrees!! I will only have to have the other test if things get worse!!

Watch out eating more fruit and fiber it could make things much worse!!! http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/ Look at this link and read what it says!!!
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!!!! We all ask alot in the begning so don't worry!!! Ask away!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: daliatree new
      #120736 - 11/10/04 04:26 PM
Amari

YAY..someone else with this nausea...I was beginning to think that I was the only one. I am C..especially when I have nausea. I have to wait about 6 weeks as I am in Australia and the book has to be ordered in. I am thinking of staying away from the foods on the trigger list and try to manage it that way until the book comes. I am feeling better knowing that not everyone has had the test. I think that I agree with the doctor that it is it, as I have had the blood work and stool samples and that was fine. And all the symptoms sound like IBS very much so. So I think that I will give this diet a try and see how I go. Has your nausea gone?? Please tell me that it goes away because I have a phobia of vommitting so being nauseated all the time doesn't help me get over that phobia!!!.......
Thanks for all the help,
Cheers
Amari

Edited by Amari (11/10/04 04:32 PM)

Re: heather7476 new
      #120739 - 11/10/04 04:30 PM
Amari

Thanks for that info heather, it makes me feel better, like you I have had the stool tests and blook work. I think that it is IBS but maybe I haven't felt better because I had no idea how to manage it. I am hoping that this diet will bring the much need relief that I need to get on with my life again, It has been 3 years too long!!!
Thanks for the help,
I think that if this diet doesn't work then I will go and get the colonoscopy and investigate it further.
Take care
Cheers
Amari

soulmates!! new
      #120770 - 11/10/04 06:40 PM
daliatree

I have a fear of vomiting too!!! I have never, in ten years of nauseous IBS, actually vomited from it..have you? I have come close, and esp as my IBS has been awful for the last 6 months (I caught a tummy bug and was soooo close to puking..and it ruined my ibs for me)..I haven't ruled it out for the future. I am trying to be more mature about the puking fear, but its hard, seeing as fears are irrational!
Well, I can safely tell you that when my bowels are better, so is the nausea and even though it can return sometimes, it is much much milder when the bowels are better. its the kind that you get when you get that majoooorrrr hunger with the ibs and eating some dry carbohydrate settles it. With my IBS I get lots of different kinds of nausea - all settled by different things.
There is a drug that is my saviour that has recently been banned in the US (I bring it in illegally woooooo) but is available over the counter in Europe and probably Australia. It is a gastric emptier and an antiemetic (anti puker). It is totally safe, and has been used for decades all over the world. The reason the US banned it is because one of its potential side effects (never got it)is increased lactation in boobs. So women who are nursing and who feel that their milk is drying up take it to increase their amount of milk. Studies haven't been done to see the effects on the babies recieving the drug through the milk so they took it away. Its a crime, because people that suffer with gastroparesis (stomach that has delayed emptying or none at all in extreme cases) were saved by this drug and now they have nothing!! Its name over the counter is MOTILIUM but its actual name is DOMPERIDONE. Its fantastic and really really helps for the nausea associated with bloating but will not help nausea associated with hunger, which doesn't matter because it is easily fixed with crackers or a good chunk of bread! I am sure you can get it in Australia. Get a prescription from your GP, to make it cheaper for you!
As for colonoscopy - I am not sure if I am going to have one. Its a big deal and I have spent some time looking at the symptoms of Crohns and Colitis etc and they involve pain and blood and diarrhea etc I hardly ever get pain and its even rarer that is stays for a long time or doubles me over....so I'm still not sure if I am going to put myself through it.
So glad to have found an anti puke mate!!
So where are you from in Ozzieland - I was travelling on the east coast there for 2 months last year. Love it!!!

--------------------

Re: soulmates!! new
      #120775 - 11/10/04 08:07 PM
sarahinoz

Reged: 11/09/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Hurray! I am terrified of vomiting and I thought i was the only one! I have been feeling nauseous every day for almost a year now, it really gets me down because I cant live a normal life. I alternate between C and D, more D in recent weeks. I'm going in for a colonoscopy on monday, so I'll let you know how it goes! I'm actually more scared about the prep because it can make you throw up and we all know that we dont want that!

~Sarah~

PS. I live in Melbourne, Australia. I'm going to try and get some of these anti-puke drugs you talk about! I currently take Maxalon tablets to stop the nausea but problem is they make me fall asleep!

Re: heather7476 new
      #120803 - 11/10/04 10:23 PM
lilsis

Reged: 11/10/04

Amari,

Just to let you know, I have been suffering for a few years with the same problems. Cant eat much of anything without getting or feeling sick. Usually the big (D), horrible cramps and some nasuea. I finally am going to have a colonoscopy. I have had the blood work, stool samples etc. I have been told I have IBS but the gasterologist decided I should do the colonoscopy. I bought and read the Eating for IBS book and it has been very informative. I have felt better since I have started to change my diet. However, I feel like I am not eating much due to being afraid to eat and have a (D) attack. Good luck and try changing your diet.

Lilsis

Re: sarahinoz new
      #120828 - 11/11/04 04:21 AM
Amari

Hi fellow Aussie..I am right across the boarder in Adelaide...I too have the same problem with Maxalon and don't take them. They have given me stemitol which is a bit better, but I really don't like to take medication and try not to. I just try to relax when feeling nausea. I acually can't wait to throw up...I know that sounds weird but I have a theory that I may get over it once I do it! i know what you mean when you say that it ruins your life....You feel so sick that you don't want to go anywhere or do anything incase...Hopefully with this diet I can get back to a normal life. I have heard that Hypnotherapy can help get over the fear of vomitting.
Take Care....Amari

#120831 - 11/11/04 04:33 AM
Amari

SNAP!!! Wow how is that. I never use to be until I started feeling nauseated all the time and not feeling well has made me affraid to vomitt because the nausea can get so bad that you think the vomitting part has to be worse. But I guess at least once you have done it then you start to feel better, with nausea it is just constant. I guess I am also affraid of lossing control when I am sick. I am hoping to get over it soon. I need a good bout of gastro or something!! Although I will be so scared, I think that it will help me get over it!! I have never vomitted with IBS. I have thought that I have come close a couple of times too. The last time I did was 6 years ago and I was hungover.

I am from Adelaide. I went to Newark Airport last year. It was a stop over, I saw NY though, would love to acually go and visit it though!

I have never heard of those other drugs but we do have motilium here. I don't really like medication so i don't take any for it, I just try to ride the nausea out. I have started that diet today and have felt much better and it is only the first day, I think I will give it a good couple of weeks, so wish me luck!!!

I think that if you don't have the simptoms than I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are worried then go and have it done and put your mind at rest!

I am glad I have found a anti-puke buddy too...Maybe we can help eachother get over this!!

Where did you visit???

Take Care...from all the way down under...Amari

Re: lilsis new
      #121109 - 11/11/04 04:47 PM
Amari

I know how you feel. I got so hungry that in the end I just eat what ever and dealt with what came afterwards. I hope that everything works out fine with you colonoscopy. I haven't got the book yet, it will take 6weeks to get here, so I am just sticking to the list of foods on this site for the time being and just monitoring. Thank you for the support!! Take Care...Amari

Cholonoscopy! Yuck! new
      #121339 - 11/12/04 01:55 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Three years ago I caught a very severe bug that was going around the day camp where I was working. It was sooooo bad, I landed in the hospital for five days! I'm ususally C, but I had such bad D and I was sooo dehydrated that my hands clamped up into "claws". Guess what - didn't vomit - (too scared to).
Anyway ans a result of the triple antibiotics they put me on I developed infectious colitis two weeks later and I had to get a colinosocopy. I did not have to do all the prep because my body had naturaly cleaned itself out (as the nurse put it my insides were clean as a whistle)IT WAS AWFUL!! I NEVER want to have to go through that again.
Well the docs gave me more antibiotics with side effects of - of all things - nasuea and D - sometimes the cure IS worse than the disease!

#121343 - 11/12/04 02:28 PM
karenj

OMG - I thought I was the ONLY person in the world that is a puke-a-phobic!!!!!!!!!!! I get so freaked out when I hear that there is a stomach virus in my daughter's school (last week as a matter of fact) that I called the nurse and asked her if it is going around in her particular class yet so I can be "prepared" and I start counting down the days thinking of the incubation period. I then make sure that the "puke bowl" is ready and available and I clean out the wastebaskets in the bathrooms "just in case"! I am totally certifiable - at least that's what my mom says! lol! Now I turned my sister into a puke-a-phobic too.

I too have been nauseous for about 2 yrs now - it would hit me out of nowhere and last a day or two. Never puked from it though (but I did get hit with 3 stomach viruses 2 years ago - ick). Turns out I have gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining). I had the endoscopy last week. I am so glad I did it because I was on famotodine for about a year and it helped somewhat but then it started not helping and I was getting really worried. I was always afraid that if and when I got sick - I couldn't take care of my kids. Myhusband works alot. So that's my story. I don't have ibs and never thought I did, I am on this board because my 6 yr old daughter was recently diagnosed with ibs (d). This family has some stomach problems, huh?

Thank you so much for letting me know that I am not alone in my obsession with puke! lol!

Re: karenj new
      #121348 - 11/12/04 03:02 PM
Amari

Wow....we really aren't alone!!! You are the first person I have heard that the reason that we are scared of it is because we are scared of 'losing control'. I am afraid that I want be able to look after myself, or if I am out that I won't be able to get home. I keep imagining bad things happening around that and even though we know that we will feel better if we did, and we aren't going to lose control, hard to shake the negative thoughts. I have tried, and I really am not so scared now. I say that, but the true test will come when I am sick....
Take Care
Amari

Re: Casper new
      #121349 - 11/12/04 03:07 PM
Amari

Ohh...you poor thing! That sounds horriable! You are okay now though!....It's not pleasent and you are right, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease!! It is amazing that we can stop ourselfs from vomitting. Most people with that fear haven't vomitted in like 20years compared to other people who vomitt around every 5years or something. The power of the mind...amazing!
Take Care
Amari

Re: Cholonoscopy! Yuck! new
      #121354 - 11/12/04 03:54 PM
daliatree

Oh Casper!!! hahahahah..its not funny but it is. are you another emetaphobe???? I heard the prep is worse then the procedure though....you have a good way of telling a story that must have been a horrific experience..

--------------------

#121355 - 11/12/04 03:56 PM
daliatree

hahahahahaha...poor you! and your poor daughter...
so did you puke with those stomach viruses? sometimes it just comes up whether you like it or not!

--------------------

Re: karenj new
      #121356 - 11/12/04 03:58 PM
daliatree

I think it must be a control thing, but to be honest, I just have blind blind fear! Its like I can't see beyond the fear. I mean, my biggest fear of being pregnant is NOT labour, its morning sickness...and my biggest fear of labour is if the pain will make me puke! I am trying to get a grip on myself...its beyond the joke.

--------------------

ozzieland new
      #121358 - 11/12/04 04:02 PM
daliatree

hey I started my trip in melbourne (greeeaat city), onto sydney in a campervan, onto byron bay (where we lived for a month), brisbane, cairns, port douglas, fraser island...uhhmmm thats it! It was amazing..part of a round the world trip...

--------------------

#121360 - 11/12/04 04:18 PM
karenj

Yes, I did puke. But I am usually a once maybe two time puker at a clip. I think the worst is the before and in between when you are waiting for the first puke or waiting to see if you will again. waiting, waiting, waiting. And btw - labor is WORSE! (but for some weird reason doesn't scare me! I guess because you know that something good will come out of it!) And yes, I was nauseous during the transition period of labor - of course my husband was standing there eating an eggplant parmesan hero so that didn't help much! And yes, I did curse him out and tell him what to do with it!

me too! new
      #121394 - 11/12/04 08:06 PM

Unregistered

I get nausea too though I'm a D, but I was wanting to post and ask people about that because I always wonder what the pain is that people talk about because is definitely just what I would describe as like the sickest feeling in the world. And I am like deathly afraid of throwing up so I know what you mean about the whole fear of feeling like that all the time. But it does go away if you eat right. Of course it does happen from time to time since everyone slips up, but it gets better so hang in there!! And I haven't had any of the tests either.

#121395 - 11/12/04 08:09 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Oh, wow! I wish I'd seen this thread before I made a whole other one about my emetophobia.
Nice to see some other antipodeans too
I haven't had a colonoscopy, just donated various bodily fluids and stuff.I don't really doubt my diagnosis though, as it really does have all the hallmarks of IBS (as much as anything can with such vaired symptoms).
Don't let your nausea stop you from eating though; I find sometimes I feel sick because I'm actually hungry. Eating a couple of rice crackers or wine biscuits usually gets my tummy to decide one way or t'other whether it's sick or hungry.

--------------------
*Emma*

#121398 - 11/12/04 08:15 PM
CarmenP

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia

Hi there

As a fellow Aussie, I might be able to help with your nausea. I take Blackmores Travel Calm Ginger. They are ginger tablets. Great for travel sickness, but also work well for me with nausea. You can get them at pharmacies.
Hope this helps

#121399 - 11/12/04 08:19 PM
daliatree

yep...thats the 'hunger nausea'...when you are really puke nauseous the smell of food makes you want to barf...so thats the difference...real nausea its hard to swallow..yucky!

--------------------

#121400 - 11/12/04 08:19 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

oo, I think you can get those here too. I might try them

--------------------
*Emma*

wellington! new
      #121401 - 11/12/04 08:21 PM
daliatree

hey I was in your home town...you live in a beautiful country...

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5404 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4655

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review