All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gas, gas, and (surprise!) more gas.....
      #12060 - 06/19/03 01:09 PM
BLF

Reged: 06/19/03

Over the past 3 months, I have been on an all-natural, high fiber diet, which has helped me considerably with my IBS symptoms (constipation AND diarrhea). What a huge difference in my life!!

The only problem I have with taking high doses of fiber is all the bloating and gas I experience on a daily basis. It's awful, but I really don't want to stop taking the fiber. Outside of taking prescription medications (which I'd rather not ingest), an all-natural high fiber regime has worked tremendously for me, and I'm a lot more comfortable these days going out with friends, being sociable once again, and not having to worry about "problems" sneaking up on me when I least expect it.

What would be a good recommendation to help offset the gas? I read that Activated Charcoal pills can help, but are their any side effects like constipation? Would they interfere with my fiber intake? Any suggestions??

I've come such a long way (IBS sufferer for over 15+ years), and I'm a whole lot happier now that I have discovered the benefits of taking fiber and sticking with a good diet, but the gas is a problem, and it has got to go!! HELP??? ANYBODY???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas, gas, and (surprise!) more gas..... new
      #12100 - 06/19/03 10:10 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi,
Try drinking strong fennel tea throughout the day. Ginger, peppermint, anise, chamomile teas are helpfull too. Also, what kinds of fiber are you ingesting? I take Citrucel to help me with my IBS-C. Gas is a big problem for me, and I've found ginger capsulls and fennel tea to really help. Peppermint altoids are helpfull too. Good luck.
Cloudygirl

#12110 - 06/20/03 05:19 AM
BLF

Thaks for the recommendation Cloudygirl!! I have heard of fennel tea, and I'm going to purchase some today. I'm taking a fiber product evey day called INNERCLEANSE (actual website name), which I discovered by mistake. If you get the opportunity, check it out!! You will be quite amazed at the information they provide on IBS and the awsome benefits of fiber. The reason I chose this particular fiber product is because it is ALL NATURAL, and a teaspoon and a half with a glass of water once a day (or if you prefer capsules, they have them, too) will take care of your daily fiber intake whether you eat high fiber foods or not. And believe me, it works extremely well. I am more on the IBS-D side, and since using the Innercleanse fiber, my IBS-D has pretty much subsided for the most part. The only concern now is the gas, but I will try the fennel tea - thanks!!

#12126 - 06/20/03 07:59 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I am by no means an expert on fiber, but hit the search button and you will find there is TONS of information on lots of different brands of fiber. From what I understand, some work better for others, depending on the ingredients.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#12128 - 06/20/03 08:06 AM
CarlaVeg

Hello, I will definitely try the Innercleanse

#12139 - 06/20/03 09:01 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I too am IBS-C (or at least that's what my doc is trying figure out) and I get terrible bloating and gas after meals. I take a Gax-X before I eat, and drink tons of strong fennel tea. I got that suggestion off this board, and it's been the remedy that has worked the quickest for me.

I tried activated charcoal capsules and found that they didn't do much for me. I think that they are supposed to absorb material in the tummy and intestines, but if it absorbs water also that's bad news for those who are constipated.

I take Fiber Choice chewable tabs and have had minimal bloating/gas from those. I've upped my fiber intake drastically in the past two weeks (since joining here) and I've felt about 50 percent better.

I eat the crap out of altoids, and drink about four ounces of aloe vera juice a day, along with drinking lots (six cups total probably) of chamomile and peppermint teas.

I also am taking Primal Defense (probiotic) and am in the second month of that. Seems to be working.

--------------------
~jules

#12163 - 06/20/03 11:45 AM
BLF

Hi Jules. I usually get the bloating and gas right after I eat, too, and although I've tried dealing with it, it's very uncomfortable to contend with all day long, every day, year after year. I increased my fiber intake 3 months ago, but I honestly don't think the increase is the culprit...I've dealt with gas and bloating way before I started taking fiber. I do like the suggestions I've been getting about fennel and peppermint teas. And since I'm a huge tea drinker anyway, this shouldn't be a problem for me at all!! Wish me luck!!

#12167 - 06/20/03 11:54 AM
BLF

Yes, please give it a try. I've been using the products since March of this year, and it has made such a tremendous difference in my life. You will notice a dramatic change in a very short period of time, simply because it is a high fiber product, and it's all natural, too. That's the benefit I like, since I don't really eat foods rich in fiber 3 times a day. Just follow the instructions, and you will be well on your way!!

#12168 - 06/20/03 11:55 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Some info for you

Controlling Gas

http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/gas.html

fiber and gas

"Add Fiber Gradually

It is usually best to gradually increase fiber intake over the course of several weeks to reduce the chance of developing "gas," cramping, bloating, and flatulence. Most people find that the symptoms caused by eating more dietary fiber gradually decline over the ensuing one to two months. Furthermore, the relief from constipation or diarrhea is an acceptable trade-off."

http://www.parkviewpub.com/fiber.html

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#12171 - 06/20/03 12:06 PM
BLF

Shawneric, you are absolutely correct about fiber intake. I've been on my fiber diet going into my 4th month, and even though I'm at my peak daily intake for over a month now, I contine to experience the same amount of gas and bloating, especially after I eat. Even before I took fiber, I had this problem, so I can't blame it all on fiber. I would like to start up with the fennel, pepperment, and ginger teas and see how they work out for me. Once I get that part under control, I'll be satisfied!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1826 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1513

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review