All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Where to buy vegan "dairy" products
      #120577 - 11/10/04 10:54 AM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

I have IBS-D and cannot tolerate casein or whey - therefore I need the vegan soy or rice "dairy" products. I live in a rural area and cannot find any suitable vegan "dairy" products. All I can find is Veggie Slices and Veggie Shreds, but they both contain casein. Does anyone know of a place to mail order products from or a company that will deliver them to your home?

Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Where to buy vegan "dairy" products new
      #120612 - 11/10/04 11:42 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Your best bet would be at a Health Food store. They have everything there.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#120613 - 11/10/04 11:43 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yes, Dana is right...

Where abouts do you live? Maybe others near you can suggest something.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#120629 - 11/10/04 12:04 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

My suggestion is to look in your phone book under "Health Food Store" and find the one nearest you. They will definaetly have it. The AWESOME thing about soymilk, is that if you don't open the package, it stays good for MONTHS AND MONTHS. Even if your nearest Health Food Store is a million miles away, take a trip once a month and stock up on those babies! The only thing is that once you open it, you will have to use the carton in 7- 10 days. I am a soy addict, so I have no problem with this, I usually run dry every four days, tops.
You will pay lots more at the health food stores first, so make sure you really check out your closest large grocery store chain first. Soymilk (except for Silk and 8th Continent brand) is usually not in the milk aisle, but somewhere else in the store, cause it does not need to be refrigerated until opened. Some stores keep it by vegetarian foods, health foods, or kosher foods. One store I go to keeps it by the frozen foods (I have NO idea why!)
I don't know if these chains are by you, but I shop at SHopRite and Pathmark. ShopRite usually has sales on Vitasoy, which is my fav brand (cheaper than SoyDream, too). They have a pretty big selection for a mainstream grocery chain, and SoySilk yogurt! (kept with regular yogurt)

Good luck, and if you are new to soy be careful and work your way up alittle at a time eating it, starting out on it and eating lots at one time can cause major gas and discomfort.

--------------------
-Sheri

#121312 - 11/12/04 12:27 PM
LittleLamb

Reged: 07/22/04
Loc: USA

Thank you so much for your suggestions. It seems that my only option is driving over 1 hour away to get the items I need. As we only have one car, this is a major inconvenience for me. That's why I was hoping there was an online purveyor who could ship them to me.

I have tried speaking with the local grocery store managers. (We have 2 small grocery stores - they are not chains.) They stated that they do not have the resources or time to expand their health food offerings yet. They brought in the Veggie Shreds and Veggie Slices and will see how they sell before bringing in more items.

I called health food stores near our area and none carry the items I need. Bummer!

I will give it a rest for a while and in a few months talk to the managers again....hopefully there will be lots of interest.

#121337 - 11/12/04 01:45 PM
itgreyhound1

Reged: 07/27/04

Since you have internet access, you might be surprised what you can buy online. I know that there is one company that sells "imitation fish" products online, and if you can get that online (I didn't even know it existed) you might be able to get soymilk.

As for the faux cheese thing, you may want to try ordering Joanne Stepanek's book "the ultimate uncheese". It's a cookbook for vegans who miss cheese--has all kinds of recipes. I have been pretty impressed with it.

Good luck!

Meredith

HERE! new
      #121459 - 11/13/04 07:51 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi there, I'm vegan too. I've found some links for on-line ordering. Check them out!

http://www.veganessentials.com/

http://www.veganstore.com/index-store.html?parentid=2&deptid=17063

http://www.schmookies.com/cookies.htm

Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2537 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1134

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review