All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
This diet must not be very helpful for my IBS-C
      #120491 - 11/10/04 07:29 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I've been on Heather's diet for 2 weeks now, & although I haven't had as much gas, I'm simply miserable with constipation. I even resorted to an enema this morning. So I think my body just doesn't work right. I've tried adding more fiber to my diet in the past, & nothing ever worked. This is the first time, however, that I've made a major change in my diet. I truly think my body processes food very slowly & then my intestines simply don't retain water like they should.

I think, sadly, that I simply need to be on Zelnorm or Miralax to be able to function somewhat normally.

I'm gonna keep taking fiber (might switch from acacia to something else to see what happens), but I don't think diet alone is gonna help. LIke I said yesterday, I exercise regularly, drink lots of water/herbal tea, and eat solubles & insolubles at every meal. It's exhausting doing all of this just to end up cramping up, uncomfortable, & C.

Just wanted to give an honest opinion for IBS-C'rs.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: This diet must not be very helpful for my IBS-C new
      #120495 - 11/10/04 07:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

SF works for both A, D and C. See why here.

You do need to be careful to incorporate more IF if you're C, but you seem to get that. How much water are you drinking btw? It should be LOTS and LOTS.

There is nothing wrong with needing a combination of medication and diet to stabilise. I did, but now I'm off all my IBS meds and control my IBS through SFS and diet.

How long have you been on Acacia?

Btw, if your intestines weren't absorbing water, you'd have D.

#120497 - 11/10/04 07:39 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm IBC C and the diet works great for me. I control my IBS with the diet, acacia and an antispasmodic...I still struggle with C but I'm doing much better than I was!!

You've only been on the diet for 2 weeks (and as great as it is...it's not something that will give you a miracle overnight)...it takes time and hard work to figure out what works for your body.

Hang in there!! Make sure you're drinking LOTS AND LOTS of water or else the acacia won't do anything for you...

Good luck!!

I meant to say... new
      #120498 - 11/10/04 07:47 AM
bellshel32

that my intestines are absorbing too much water & taking it out of the "poo."

I've been taking the acacia for 2 weeks. I drink atleast 8-10 glasses of water or herbal tea every day.

I understand the theory behind SFS, but I've never had much success with them.

I'm surprised at how bad I'm doing, though, after 2 weeks.... new
      #120499 - 11/10/04 07:49 AM
bellshel32

I would've thought I'd see some improvement. As you can see, I'm getting more frustrated by the day.

Re: I'm surprised at how bad I'm doing, though, after 2 weeks.... new
      #120503 - 11/10/04 08:01 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

With C, it's a lot more of a juggling balance as you HAVE to keep eating IF. With D, you can just cut it all out till you start feeling better. I'm A and I found it took a long while before I really sawy a difference - 6 months after starting the diet I was pretty close to stabilising.

Keep it up. This isn't a miracle cure, but once you get there, it does seem like a miracle!

#120552 - 11/10/04 10:31 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Before you resort to the miralax or Zelnorm, try added in 2 stool softners morning and night! These will not make your body dependant on them like the other drugs. They are not a stimulate laxative and won't cause cramping or anything. Be sure to eat as much insoluble fiber foods with your soluble fiber foods. Sounds like you are drinking lots, be sure to also get exercise. I fell recently and have my leg in a cast and had to stop working out and my C is worse. Exercise does help. Try the stool softners, also called peri-colace for a week. If you have to resort to Zelnorm or Miralax, I would do the miralax. I have taken both. The Zelnorm may help a little bit more with the bloating but most people build up a tolerance to it very quickly, its not a long term solution. I have been on Miralax now for more than three years and have not built up a tolerance at all! I'm sure my body is dependant on it now and I'll probably have to take it forever but that was better to me than going through life miserably constipated!! I still follow heathers diet and take my acacia everyday!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re:Michele new
      #124770 - 11/22/04 08:33 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What's the difference between colace and peri-colace? Is one safer than the other?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re:Michele new
      #124826 - 11/23/04 08:00 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry, I just saw this. I'm not real sure what the difference between colace and peri-colace is to tell you the truth!! I guess thats a question for the pharmacist!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#124832 - 11/23/04 08:11 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I agree with Michele about the stool softners. Take them every morning and night. I take mine at night along with 2 SFS and usually have a bowel movement in the morning. Also try to train yourself to go at the same time every day. My BM happens aroung 7am every day. Even on weekends. Lately it wakes me up on the weekends which isn't great, but hey I can't complain and least I'm having one! Have you tried prunes or prune juice. Make sure your stomach is full of SF first! Good luck and hang in there.

#125009 - 11/23/04 04:13 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Not to turn the thread towards me, but I'm having problems with C, and I'm wondering if you guys can help. I admit I'm not following the diet as well as I should I am taking a SFS mixed with 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds twice a day. But when I take Colace, I find that it doesn't even really work well anymore. If I take 2, nothing happens, and if I take 3, a bit happens but it bothers my tummy a bit. They're not supposed to be addictive but it seems like the more often I take them, they eventually wear off. I'm trying to eat as much insoluble as I can but to no avail!

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Angela E new
      #125018 - 11/23/04 04:35 PM
Augie

Do you take a caplet form of SFS as your post says you take 2 SFS at night. That would only be one gram of fiber, right? How much SFS do you take total in a day and what type? I may try caplet form of citrucel but wasn't sure if it worked. May also try fibercon. Are you taking either of those?

--------------------
~ Beth

#125031 - 11/23/04 05:14 PM
Angela E.

I alternate through the day. In the morning I usually take citracel in powder form. At lunch I do the caplets because I am at work at its easier. I take only two. At dinner I do 1 1/2 teaspoons of Acacia. At then sometimes at night I take 2 more caplets of citracel. This is the one that I have found works for me but everyone is different. I can say that I am going to working more Acacia into my SFS because I have alot of success with that. Everyone can give you suggestions but it really takes time and experimenting to find what is right for you.

#125038 - 11/23/04 05:34 PM
bellshel32

I know what you mean. I switched back to Miralax this week, but it's not working on me. I haven't tried Colace. I'd be interested in any advice the others could give!!

You don't want Peri-Colace!! new
      #125048 - 11/23/04 06:40 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

You don't want to take the Peri Colace, because that contains both Senna (a laxative) and a stool softener. Colace is strictly the stool softener, which is safe for you.

Jessica

Thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't sure-nt new
      #125052 - 11/23/04 06:50 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#125053 - 11/23/04 06:54 PM
Augie

Are you going to add the Acacia while keeping the citricel,both powder and tablets. Or switch over to acacia altogether? It looks like your taking in about 6 grams of fiber a day now and that's working for you right?

--------------------
~ Beth

#125116 - 11/24/04 05:46 AM
Angela E.

Yes but I also eat veggies and fruits at lunch and dinner as well. It works for me but remember you have to find what works for you. These are only suggestions of what I do and from being on these boards a couple of months I have found that really no two people are exactly the same. You may need more fiber than me. I know the big things that help me are drinking plenty of water, stool softners, and cutting out all of the seven deadly sins! LOL

#125124 - 11/24/04 06:15 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Hi there. I am also having slight problems with this diet and my C. I definitely need more insolubles in my diet than this diet prescribes. I think having solubles as a base is a good strategy. I am slowly getting control over the pain by eating small portions and eating SLOWLY. Hope this helps.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1795 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3351

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review