All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Bloating
      #120442 - 11/10/04 04:46 AM
Pepita

Reged: 11/10/04

I have long-standing problems with constipation and bloating.The problem has been explained to me as slow transit with no organic cause.
After posting on this board ages ago,Heather suggested I might have coeliac disease and should be tested.
I had the relevant blood test and the result said it was "very unlikely" that I had the condition.
So,I'm back to looking at Heather's diet.The main thing that bothers me about it is that I don't think it will help my bloating - which is often more troublesome than my constipation.The fennel tea helps with trapped gas,but I can be bloated even when I am not aware of any problem with gas.
Also,Zelmac helps me with C. but the bloating remains.
Any ideas,anyone?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bloating new
      #120445 - 11/10/04 05:29 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Hi Pepita. I recognize myself in your post. I suffer from C and bloating as well. I also drink fennel tea although most times I feel that a bit of exercise is the best. Walking around in the office for example. I do yoga regularly which has helped me a lot (although not "freed" me) because it teaches you to breathe correctly as well. Not much help, sorry, just wanted you to know that your not alone.

#120467 - 11/10/04 06:43 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have read a lot of opinions like yours on another IBS forum. Some people there recommend completely gluten free so as to have nothing for the gas bacteria to feed on- but this DOES NOT work. Honestly I have had the world record bloat and I know it has more to do with a long term healthy bowel than what goes in there at the moment. In other words, your bloating will go away if your bowel functions properly by eating a safe diet and staying away from trigger foods (like Heather's!!!) Of course regularity is important- a little C makes it easier to get B but when you are stable that happens, you are regular. So follow the diet and with time you will find your tummy flat as a pancake. I never thought I would have that but I do!
Additionally, the fennel tea is awesome or a mix fennel tea from the store does taste better. Too much soy too quickly can cause gas, also brassicas like broccoli and of course beans; walking everyday, eating slowly and often and going 'potty' when you have to will be very beneficial too! Hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#120520 - 11/10/04 08:52 AM
Cathryn

Reged: 10/31/04

Your complaints sound like mine. The bloating is so uncomfortable and the gas so unbearable. I wish I could also find what would alleviate the problem. I am now taking Reglan but after a week have had no changes. I just received the Acacia in the mail but am so hesitant to use it because taking Citrucel exacerbated my situation.

#120523 - 11/10/04 09:24 AM
Pepita

Thanks for all comments.Actually,little Minnie,when I am "regular" as I think I said I am for periods on Zelmac,I still get bloated.This is what I don't understand.

Also,on occasions,I have a very good evacuation in the morning where I really feel I have expelled properly(happens rarely)and flat stomach straight after.But then,within a couple of hours,I'm starting to bloat out again!It is this that I don't understand.

I'm trying just now to eat more(appetite goes down when I'm bloated and constipated)and eating brown rice every day and soluble fibre.Stools are better ,but that damned bloating......

And fennel tea just doesn't do anything for my bloating.

(loved that kitten by the way - was that you're post,Little.M?)

#120525 - 11/10/04 09:44 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi there, just read your message and I too suffer from bloating. I have come off gluten entirely and since I have (3 mths now) feel much better. The bloating has definately subsided, although at times I still bloat for some reason. I have to say again, no gluten has helped me immensely! Have you tried massaging your tummy, this helps me get rid of the trapped gas, it makes me belch. Definately do it in private. Also a stretch, I will try to descibe it, this is fantastic for me, lie on our side with knees on top of each other and bent. Take your up side arm and try to bring it to the floor (it will take time) as your muscles realign your shoulder will reach the floor and your hand will get there too. All the time I belch and belch! Feel much better after. Give it a go and see what happens. Also definately consider going gluten free for a while. I improved immediately! Don't rely on tests! Neeta

#120544 - 11/10/04 10:16 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

This is one of my biggest compliants also. I am Ibs C but take miralax to counteract the C. I also find even with "going" on a regular basis, I suffer from the bloating. I also will find it to get worse as the day progresses. When I'm mostly stable I would say the bloating varies from day to day. Someday I HAVE to unbutton my pants by noon and can't wait to get home and into a nightgown or something without a waist. When I'm not so stable, I literally look 6-7 months pregnant! I have pants and bra's I wear for bad tummy days. My belly bloats so much sometimes, my bra's hurt!! I have asked the dr many times about this and have been assured its "JUST" ibs and its nothing to worry about! Like to see the dr's live a day in my tummy and call it JUST ibs!!

I haven't found a whole lot to help. The heating pad makes it feel better. Exercising and taking the maxium dose of gas-x will also help. I don't understand either what is causeing the severe bloat but you are not alone!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I have been GF for a year.. new
      #120554 - 11/10/04 10:33 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

And it has not helped the bloat at all! Don't want to dishearten you but I agree with the others. Getting regular BM's helps the most. I am going to try the Gas x and stretching now.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#120670 - 11/10/04 01:17 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey Michele,

I'm reading your post at 4:10 pm today, pants unbuttoned, tummy bloated at my desk, hoping my VERY understanding officemate has not noticed his co-worker letting it allll hang out.

I need a cup of water, as I'm really sweating it out, but I can't stand up or my jeans will fall down. Ugh, this is embarrasing, but the bloat really kills me in the afternoon. I'm waiting for my colleague to get up and get a cup of coffee or something so I can streighten myself out. *embarrassed*

~nelly~

#120744 - 11/10/04 04:40 PM
Little Minnie

I have been there and I can only say you have to trust me (and us). There is more to being stable than pooping everyday- somehow- I can't explain it but now that I am stable I just don't bloat. I know what you mean about being regular and still bloating later on, I had that for many, many years. But with Heather's diet and the right amount of soluble fiber supplement I am not bloated anymore. There is no magic pill or anything but I do highly recommend fennel based tea. It helps a lot but will not take the bloating completely away without getting stable.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#120772 - 11/10/04 07:23 PM
bmillermn

I'm new to this board. Found out I had IBS about a month ago. Now I'm in constant pain and completely bloated. I use Citrucil and Miralax twice a day. Completely quit smoking, coffee, alcohol and 200 other things I use to love. I'm drinking green and pepermint tea, tons of water and nothing on the trigger list. Am I missing something?? I would really appreciate anyone's help. TIA.

Bob

#120896 - 11/11/04 07:28 AM
Pepita

You've hit the nail on the head - you sound like my twin(but look healthier!)
What is gas-x?
By the way,I don't have a real problem with gas but no-one seems to have read this.It's one of the big reasons for my confusion about my bloating.If I had a lot of gas,it would make more sense.

#120912 - 11/11/04 08:09 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have many unbottuned days myself. Try looping a rubber band around the button and throught the button hole and back to the button. It help keep the pressure off but still lets you get up and move around with out your pants falling down to your knees! I can't remember the last time I wore a shirt tucked in just for this reason!! In fact, today AT WORK, I have on a yoga workout kinda outfit on. Luckily, with my foot in a cast, I can blame my outfit on my foot but really I'm wearing it because it doesn't put any pressure on my tummy and its a bad tummy day. Another thing to help at work is those thermacare heating wraps. They make them tummy size for menstrual cramps and are a godsend on bad days. Note to those of us trying to make babies, don't use any heating source on tummy from ovulation until you know if your pregnant. The heat can damage your egg, kill the sperm and has the potential to harm any developing fetus.

Everyone remember, you don't need to be passing gas to be bloated from trapped gas inside your colon. I am sure this is not the reason for all of our bloating all the time but I am sure it is responsible for some of the bolating some of the time!! Thats where the gas-x helps. Its a pill of simethicone, you can get it at any drug store without a prescription. You really have to take the maximum dose for a day or two to see if it helps.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Oh Yes! The bloaty thing! new
      #121188 - 11/12/04 05:43 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Don't know what to do about it. Even when I'm feeling great I'm still a balloon. Sometimes I feel like I'm going through a perpetual pregnancy. Sorry I have no advice. Just some empathy and a virtual hug.
Chany

#121245 - 11/12/04 09:27 AM
kaki69

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Chicago, IL

I love the rubberband gimmic, I have to try that, as I too am having a bad tummy day today. I have also used the Thermacare heat wraps for PMS cramps but never thought about using them for the bloated tummy too. I will definitely have to try that. I feel the same way as all of you and don't know what to do to alleviate the bloated feeling. Today I feel particularly horrible, in a general sense of the word too, not just in my tummy. It makes me feel lousy all over. I eat right and drink tea but it doesn't go away. I have no advise, just wanted to share. I always thought I was the only one to get bloated for seemingly no reason.

#121412 - 11/12/04 11:02 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

i always think dr.s are full of bloat tation in them. thats why they dont know what bloating is all about.
we ibs people bloat alot and these dr.s dont know what there saying to us all with ibs. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#121448 - 11/13/04 07:36 AM
Cathryn

Reged: 10/31/04

but I thought Gas X was really only for gas in the stomach, not in the colon?

Bloating question for Little Minnie new
      #122153 - 11/15/04 08:50 PM
Taylahmai

Loc: Western Australia

Hi Little Minnie My goodness thats amazing news that you have a flat tummy!! I'm so jealous!! I've been constantly bloated for years now and am at a loss as to what to try next! I've been guzzling the fennel tea lately - no change - and as you know the soluble fibre is only making things worse When you suggest following Heather's diet to get a stable bowel could you please give me some pointers as to what a typical eating day is for you? I'm just overwhelmed by so much information I don't know where to start. I know everyone is different but it would be interesting to see what a 'typical' daily menu would be for someone with bloating. Do you avoid alcohol and chocolate completely?? These are the hardest things for me to give up.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Sure new
      #122176 - 11/16/04 04:33 AM
Little Minnie

I have given up trigger foods completely (well almost- I have a tiny bit if fancy cheese once in awhile and a bite of dessert when I go to a restaurant). So no alcohol (unless cooked) and no caffeine and no pop and no chocolate. Ok! So as for a daily diet, I will tell you what I eat but I don't want it to be like a code or anything. I eat 3 packets of instant oatmeal with raisins every morning along with lite soy milk or I have 2 bowls of honey nut cheerios (the oatmeal is better for C). I eat 2 bananas and a luna bar for a snack and my lunch depends on whether I am at work or not. For work, I eat some baked bread like zucchini bread or a low fat PB&J. For home I'll have healthy choice soup, or a sweet potato or a sandwich. I also snack on FF pretzels and sometimes red licorice. I personally eat raw baby carrots but no one else can handle them. For dinner I cook low fat meals according to Heather's guidelines- a lot of rice and asian food. I eat only chicken breast, seafood or turkey breast for meats. I have cooked carrots and a little other veg with dinner. For dessert I'll make a smoothie or eat haagen dazs raspberry sorbet. I also snack some in the evening if I am still hungry. I have tea right after dinner and sometimes with lunch too if I need it. I exercise every day too and try to eat slowly. The big thing is to not let yourself get too hungry. That is why I have luna bars and bananas on me all the time. I also take digestive enzymes. It did take about 2 months to feel really good. It might have been faster if I had done the break the cycle diet. By summer this year I was feeling fabulous! I had a setback in fall from stress and now I am doing well again.
My whole life was about picking clothes I could bloat in and how I would feel after I ate and road trips and conventions were like hell! I feel so free now. I occassionally bloat -especially if a little C- but it is so mild now. To have slim fitting clothes is a dream come true! P.S. I also do sit ups on an exercise ball and I think that has helped some- I also lost about 15 pounds since winter. So there it is- that is what has worked for me. Patience is a key though.

--------------------

Re: Sure new
      #122484 - 11/16/04 01:54 PM
Little Minnie

Also forgot to add: make sure to get recommended hydration intake each day, avoid HFCS, sorbitol and MSG and get on SFS until you are as regular as possible. I am a little bloated this last few days b/c I am messed up with C and goiing too much and stuff - but it is mild and brought on by China Buffet which I am not eating at again!

--------------------

Thanx Little Minnie new
      #122675 - 11/16/04 10:01 PM
Taylahmai

Loc: Western Australia

Wow thank you for the info. The main thing for me is about getting rid of the bloat so have got some good pointers (ie eating regularly and slowly). Knowing what I know about IBS I'm not expecting anything prescriptive as everything works differently for different people. Its just really useful to hear what works for others, and to give it a try. You just never know

Oatmeal isn't something I usually eat so am going to give it a try as it seems to work for a lot of people. Giving up alcohol and chocolate is the hardest thing for me as there's nothing better then a quite glass of red and a block of dark chocolate! But feeling healthy is the most important thing of all and if you want something enough - which I desperately do! - you're willing to do anything. When my BM were stable previously and my bloating wasn't severe I was able to get away with the odd trigger food/ drink. Am counting down the days till I reach that place again.

Thanx for your support and advice

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Chocoholic... new
      #122676 - 11/17/04 12:46 AM
marymary

Reged: 11/01/04
Loc: Zurich, Switzerland

Just wanted to tell you that I'm a chocoholic - in my case, some red wine (toward the end of dinner) and a piece of good, dark chocolate is worth a bit of agony once in a while! Suffer from bloating (all the time it seems: where are the days of my flat tummy?!) and I find that eating slowly and small portions works best to stabilize it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1265 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4095

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review