All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ok. Getting very discouraged......IBS-C
      #120199 - 11/09/04 09:10 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I sound like a broken record, I know. But I think this diet might be causing me to be MORE C. I always thought that too much bread, rice, or potatoes made me feel too full & C, so maybe that's what's wrong. The gas & bloating are better, but OOOHHH the C. I just keep getting all bound up. The Zelnorm doesn't even help as well now. I took it two days ago & NOTHING HAPPENED. I took it this morning & finally had a BM after nothing for two hours, but it was hard pellets.

Sorry if too much info. Maybe the acacia is too constipating? Maybe I should go back to trying Konsyl or some other psyllium fiber?

I'm not even taking that much acacia. 1 1/4 tsp twice a day.

Maybe taking Miralax for 3 years messed up my body.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ok. Getting very discouraged......IBS-C new
      #120208 - 11/09/04 09:22 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I don't think it is the Acacia. I think you can start adding more safe insolubles, such as a pealed apple, a Luna Bar or a smoothie, that will help you.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

I'm eating lots of insolubles with the solubles...... new
      #120215 - 11/09/04 09:29 AM
bellshel32

I eat raw fruit every day. I eat either fruit or veggies with every meal & usually at one of my snack times. I've tried fruit smoothies, too.

For example, yesterday I had toast & fruit smoothie for breakfast. Chex cereal & raisins for a snack. Turkey sandwich with lettuce & an orange for lunch. More chex cereal & baked Lays potatoe chips for snack. Potatoes, green beans, & another fruit smoothy for dinner. Later, had some honey chex mix, salad, & grapes.

So you see, I'm getting lots of fiber. No doubt about it.

(I was on a chex kick yesterday, too. )

#120216 - 11/09/04 09:30 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

Hi... I am an IBS-C, severely so. I had to stop taking the Zelnorm after about 4-5 months, as it loses is potency as your body becomes used to it. It is only supposed to work in the short term. I have switched to Heather's diet a few weeks ago, and the bloating/pain is much improved, but still totally C. Could no longer have a BM on my own, even with the Zelnorm.... still can't, but am trying to slowly build up my SFS.
At the moment, I try to incorporate some insolubles after solubles.... blended drinks including some of these - banana, pawpaya, peaches, pear, apple juice, cranberry juice. So far, I am okay on these. I even had a small piece of overcook cabbage, and this seemed okay. I think the key is to start small, with well cooked veggies after your soluble food.
Good Luck.

Keep trying...some days I feel discouraged, but hope to keep improving.

#120217 - 11/09/04 09:31 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you're IBS C (like I am) then you need to be eating a certain amount of insoluble on top of your solubles. Try adding some veggies/fruit into your diet and that should help.

It's highly unlikely that the acacia is causing you more constipation....however...it has been known to cause some people bloating and gas for the first little while until you get used to your dosage. If it's giving you bloating and gas then try cutting down on your dose a little and that should help. Also it is VERY important that you drink LOTS AND LOTS of water when take a soluble fibre supplement (like acacia) or else it's not going to work properly at all.

You could also try getting a little exercise each day....sometimes just going for a short walk will get things moving.

Another hint...try sitting down in the washroom at around the same time each day...even if you don't feel the urge to "go"....this helps train your body to start feeling the urge around the same time each day and then you may notice that you'll start getting into a routine....

Hope you feel better soon.....

Thanks for your replies. I really feel like I'm eating lots of insolubles, though.... new
      #120222 - 11/09/04 09:36 AM
bellshel32

See my reply below. Am I missing something? Am I eating too many solubles?

Re: Thanks for your replies. I really feel like I'm eating lots of insolubles, though.... new
      #120231 - 11/09/04 09:56 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

How about exercise and fluids? How are you doing there?

--AC

Doing good there, too..... new
      #120234 - 11/09/04 10:04 AM
bellshel32

I'm on the treadmill 3 times a week (a 30-minute interval training program) & drinking at least 8-10 glasses of water/herbal tea every day.

(I don't get on the treadmill every day because it throws out my neck)

Re: Doing good there, too..... new
      #120236 - 11/09/04 10:17 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Have you tried taking stool softners?? I take them every night before I go to bed. I usually take two of them. Also warm tea in the morning.(peppermint) Try upping your water intake even more. I know that can be hard because you are always running to the bathroom to pee, but being hydrated when you are C is very important. Maybe try to get those extra glasses in right after you exercise.
Good Luck!

Re: I'm eating lots of insolubles with the solubles...... new
      #120246 - 11/09/04 10:28 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

How long ago did you stop the miralax?? I have been on it for several years and have tried to stop and I go into severe C mode no matter what I do. Sounds like your diet and exercise is good. Maybe try the stool softners if you don't want to go back on the miralax.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2077 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2677

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review