All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
McCannes Oatmeal
      #120089 - 11/08/04 04:07 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Is Quaker brand oatmeal the only safe oatmeal. I have some McCannes Irish Oatmeal but it doesn't say rolled oats. Has anyone tried this brand

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: McCannes Oatmeal new
      #120094 - 11/08/04 04:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Aren't all oats ok? I thought oats were soluble.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Oatmeal confusion new
      #193836 - 07/10/05 11:11 AM
Augie

Since they don't say "rolled oats" I thought maybe this brand was too harsh. It's not the steel cut kind...but I was wondering if most people find Quaker brand easier to digest.

Or do most people use the instant? Is instant easier on the tummy?

--------------------
~ Beth

#193839 - 07/10/05 11:27 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Beth. I thought you were on a GF diet? Doesn't that mean you can't have oats either? Maybe I misunderstood...

I've only had Quaker oatmeal and I find that I can tolerate the instant oatmeal better. I think this is because the oats in instant oatmeal are finer cut, so they have been mechanically broken down which makes them easier to digest. (This is similar to an earlier discussion where Heather explained why cutting up, cooking, pureeing makes insolubles easier to digest.)

Quaker instant oatmeal has 3 g fiber: 2 insoluble, 1 soluble, but I eat it with 1 - 2 slices of french bread toast which adds 1-2 g of soluble fiber. I also have a Chocolate Peppermint Luna Bar as a prebreakfast which adds another 2 g soluble fiber and 1 g insoluble (from inulin which can be bothersome for some IBSers but I find I tolerate it well). So that gives me 3 g insoluble, 4-5 g soluble from my usual breakfast.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if this is much help since I'm IBS-D.

#193842 - 07/10/05 11:30 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I'm sorry, but I've never heard of it. The only one I use is quaker, both regular and instant.
Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Re: Here's a link to the website... new
      #193843 - 07/10/05 11:36 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

McCanne's Oatmeal . Which oatmeal product did you buy? It looked to me like a lot of their products contain steel cut oats. Uh oh, and their newest sugar-free product contains Splenda. I did see under "Preparation and Tips" that you can put the oats in a food processor to break them down and make them easier to cook--I bet this would make them easier to digest as well.

HTH!

All oatmeal is fine... new
      #193852 - 07/10/05 11:52 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

As far as I know, all of it is made with the whole oat - the only difference is the way it's cut. Rolled oats aren't cut at all. Instant is practically pulverized, and "quick" oats are cut more like flakes. Steel-cut oats are cut before rolling, as far as I know, so they're chewier in texture. But they are ALL made with the whole oat grain, REGARDLESS of brand. (I usually eat store-brand, personally.)

...which means that they ALL contain BOTH soluble and insoluble fiber. They are considered a soluble fiber food because of the way the body handles them, but if you read the nutrition information, most brands (I think!) will give both insoluble and soluble fiber grams, because they contain both. Which is fine! It's all a safe option.

Re: Oatmeal confusion new
      #193865 - 07/10/05 01:57 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

But remember to take it easy on the oatmeal with the GP. Its still fine to eat, but its super high in fiber so it does taske longer to digest. There are some oatmeals that are "ground up" and quicker to digest as well. I guess its a matter of what you can tolerate....

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

No, you didn't misunderstand new
      #193937 - 07/10/05 08:05 PM
Augie

I did test high for gluten antibodies twice! But after being on a GF diet for about 20 months, I am still hurting big time. Going GF has only made me go from chronic D to chronic C...but that is no trade off in my opinion.

All the literature I have read seems to support staying GF if you have any high antibodies...but I just want to test the waters a bit to see what happens.

Maybe this is foolish, but I'm tired of hurting. Maybe the gluten free diet is making me worse? I won't know until I try going off of it for a while.

I am so scared! I just keep eating GF even though I decided to eat gluten about a week ago!

BTW, can you recommend a good french bread? It's been a while since I bought regular bread.

--------------------
~ Beth

Thank you! new
      #193940 - 07/10/05 08:07 PM
Augie

I have the regular quick cooking kind.....not the instant or the sugar free.

I guess I could try to break them down a bit more somehow.

Thanks for the link Maria!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4716 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1967

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review