All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Need some expert advice new
      #121282 - 11/12/04 10:50 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I dunno - I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with C myself (I'm an A, and have swung to mostly C). I've been eating oat meal every other day, and I've had a bm every day. Maybe you need to add more insolubles? Have you tried things like oatmeal or brown rice? Maybe in the morning? Eating insolubles helps me, but I don't know if that is enough for you ... I wish I could offer some better advice

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#121304 - 11/12/04 11:50 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

If you are C, then don't cut down your insolubles! Just make sure you are getting solubles before and after them, and that you are getting at least 64 oz of fluids and some exercise every day.

--AC

Re: How much insoluble fiber is safe? bump it-nt new
      #121911 - 11/15/04 10:33 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#121952 - 11/15/04 11:58 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I just started eating peas and carrots. I don't measure them so I don't know how many ozs I am eating. The can contains three servings and that is what I eat three servings per day. Insofar as fruit, I eat DelMonte diced peaches, pears and apricots. Of course I have these over oatmeal and my veggies over rice.

I have been doing this for four days now along with my peppermint capsules, teas and of course my SFS!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

RE:SLiCKsGiRL new
      #125339 - 11/24/04 08:52 PM
Augie

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciated the advice. It's hard for me to understand why everyone can't find the same solution. Then we could all just follow those rules, period and all live happily ever after!

When you say insolubles help you, which ones? Do you venture into the veggies and fruits,like spinach or green beans, or mainly stick with the brown rice and oatmeal, but oatmeal is soluble so never mind that one.

Do you also take acacia?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: RE:SLiCKsGiRL new
      #125372 - 11/25/04 09:12 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

I know what you mean - sometimes I wish we WERE all cookie-cutter type people. If we all came from the same mold, we'd all be able to use the same things ... Just try to remember on bad days that you can still live happily ever after with IBS - like anything else, it just takes a bit of work. You'll get the hang of it, don't worry.

You're right, I did mess up on the oatmeal, got it backward! oops! As far as the insolubles I do eat (and hopefully I don't have anymore of these wrong), I can do wheat bread, tomatoes, onions, brown rice, peas, lettuce, grean beans, garlic, broccoli, grapes, peanuts/cashews, and granola bars. Tomatoes, onions, and lettuce I'll slice and eat raw in a sandwich (on safe white bread); broccoli, peas, and garlic I eat in stir fry. If I have grapes or nuts, it's only a small handful.

I rarely eat insolubles at more than one meal; for example, I'll have two sandwiches at lunch ( ) OR I'll have stir fry for dinner. It hasn't been taking all that much to get rid of the C. And I am an IBS-A, so I do have attacks of D that can last for days and I don't eat insolubles at all then.

I think I mentioned before (sorry, very bad memory lately!) that my diet isn't very stable. It's widely varied because I have to eat whatever happens to be around. This is 'cause I don't have a job and can't afford much at the moment. I really want to try acacia, but for the same reason ($), haven't yet. I will though (hopefully soon) and I promise to let you know how it goes ... unless of course the next ice age has come by then

Anyway, I hope this helps you a bit. Feel free to ask me any other questions (or for clarifications in case this is fuzzy). Good luck!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

RE:SLiCKsGiRL new
      #125374 - 11/25/04 09:26 AM
Augie

Wow, your list of insolubles is awesome! Can't believe you can eat those! So, you are saying that you only have one insoluble per day? If you have it for lunch, you won't have it at breakfast or dinner? Is that right?
How long into the diet did you start adding insolubles?
Are you taking and SFS now?
Do you feel like you were just bombarded with questions? Sorry.
How do you stay so positive? On my bad days, I get so down on life, feeling sorry for myself.
Thanks again, Amber
Ps I know what you mean about money. That's a big big problem for me as well.

--------------------
~ Beth

Rylee new
      #125386 - 11/25/04 11:31 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

Have you given herbal teas a try? I can't have peppermint cause of my acid reflux...but thre are several kinds I can tolerate! I can drink fennel tea, black currant, red tea, liccorice spice, and a few others.

Also, for almost a year I ate mostly potatoes and bread and rice and pasta. Problem was....I got sick after a while because I wasn't getting any insolubles! Try pureeing them and add them in slowly.

Anyway, just concerned your diet is so limited....hope we can help you out!

-<3-

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Rylee new
      #125411 - 11/25/04 04:18 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

I have had IBS-D for thirty some years. I tried so many things over the years that I decided to just eat safe foods so I could have a life outside my home. If I ate a veggie or fruit and it made me sick, I never ate it again. Yes my diet is very limited but I enjoy my life a lot more than I used to. There is a lot more information out there now than there used to be. Friends, family and doctors would say it was just nerves but I knew it was what I ate because most of my terrible bouts were at home when I was not under any sort of stress. I have never tried teas. Maybe I will try adding more things but that scares me. The only thing I ever drink is plain water. I don't care about a healthy diet because what good is being healthy if I am going to feel that lousy. I feel good and can do anything..I have even went out to work. Maybe I will have a shorter life but I will enjoy it.

Re: RE:SLiCKsGiRL new
      #125425 - 11/25/04 09:33 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

No problem about asking questions! I enjoy helping and being able to actually answer them once in a while

I do only eat one insoluble per day, WITH a soluble base. I don't know if I'm getting all of my nutrients that way, but I AM getting my IBS under control. One insoluble per day is really all I need to get things moving every day. As for serving sizes, if for example I have two sandwiches at lunch, I'll have a slice of tomato and onion on each. Then no more insolubles the rest of the day.

I really never stopped eating insolubles - I've had IBS for 7 years and only found this diet/site in June. I started keeping track of my triggers and cut out the insolubles that did it for me. I guess I ate pretty plain foods for about 3 weeks before I really tried experimenting, but mostly I would eat only soluble foods while I was having D attacks (usually last about 3-4 days) then go back to insolubles. I know that doesn't really go with what the site says, but again, I was doing all of this before I even knew about this place, and it has worked for me.

I'm not taking an SFS, and haven't ever tried them.

I stay positive because I know that there are so many worse things that could be wrong with me (and with my luck, should be wrong, so I'm thankful that IBS is it). And, though it can be difficult, I try to think of something positive about my IBS, too. For example, I have pretty great abs (despite little exercise) because of C and trying to keep from passing gas around others ... I know it's difficult, and everyone goes through times when you just want to give up. But I'm a firm believer that our purpose in life is to bring joy to others - and that is what helps me make it through the day. Your life wont always be ruled by your bowels. Remember, tomorrow is another day.

Wishing you all of the best!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review