All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Buckwheat... does anyone know if its Soluble?
      #119429 - 11/05/04 06:57 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

is buckwheat (like buckwheat breakfast cereal/soba noodles/Kasha) soluble or insoluble? I've been putting off reintegrating this into my diet, but DH loves his soba and has been asking for it, and I miss my cereal as well as kasha.. its the only hot cereal I've ever liked for some wierd reason!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bumping to see if anyone (Heather?) has an answer new
      #119657 - 11/07/04 05:49 AM
khyricat

thanks in advance folks!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

i'd be careful... new
      #119697 - 11/07/04 11:23 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Quote:

While many people think that buckwheat is a cereal grain, it is actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrel making it a suitable substitute for grains for people who are sensitive to wheat or other grains that contain protein glutens. Buckwheat flowers are very fragrant and are attractive to bees that use them to produce a special, strongly flavored, dark honey

this could go either way. if you're sensitive to gluten and other wheat proteins, you could be fine with buckwheat. in fact, for all i know it's a perfectly safe food. i'd just tread carefully if you don't know how you react to seed-based types of foods.

it's also high in magnesium, which i believe can cause some troubles with diarrhea for some folks.

--------------------

Re: i'd be careful... new
      #119703 - 11/07/04 12:27 PM
khyricat

thanks Jen- I'm stable enough for now to try a small amount and see what happens.. but I'll wait for a day when I can deal with bad consequences if they happen- so probably another week and a half.. this week my days off will be spent doing inspections on the new house and cleaning this one and at the GI...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

ya know.... new
      #119714 - 11/07/04 01:08 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

ironically, i was looking up quinoa for SaraSage and it's on the soluble foods list... it's made from seeds, too. it's another good item for you to try if you find you tolerate the seed-stuff well! good luck!

--------------------

Re: ya know.... new
      #119716 - 11/07/04 01:17 PM
khyricat

I was thinking about trying that actually.. so thanks!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Buckwheat... does anyone know if its Soluble? new
      #119893 - 11/08/04 09:48 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Please keep me posted, as I too have asked this question, but haven't heard anything yet. My ceareal contains buckwheat and I also have some buckwheat noodles, so I need to know. Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Buckwheat... does anyone know if its Soluble? new
      #119923 - 11/08/04 10:21 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Buckwheat is an edible fruit seed that is mild in flavor and very soft if UNROASTED. Once roasted (Kasha) it becomes more assertive in flavor and dry and harder to digest in it's whole form. Just like any seed, if it's ground, it's easier to digest, thus buckwheat flour that is used in Soba noodles (usually with wheat flour added) is very easy to tolerate. Buckwheat flour is usually mixed with other flours because it has such a strong flavor.

But in answer to your question, yes, it's very soluble in nature, as evidenced by how fast it absorbs water.

When I first read Heather's 1st year book, the very first food I put to the test was buckwheat pancakes with real maple syrup. (I've been allergic to wheat for many years.) When it didn't cause a cramp one, I knew this way of eating was my answer to the IBS diet dilemma.

(PS...Beth, if you're wondering about the cracked buckwheat in your Bob's Red Mill hot GF cereal, it's fine once it's cooked and absorbes liquid...look at how much liquid it absorbs....oatmeal is water 2:1, but this cereal is 3+:1)

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 890 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 904

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review