All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pain, no bowel problems
      #119045 - 11/04/04 01:35 PM
court10

Reged: 10/06/04

I was wondering if anyone experiences mid to upper abdominal pain (soreness) without bowel changes. What happens is I can feel the gas starting up but then the pain starts and i start to feel sick and than it gets to a point my stomach feels sore and this can last for several days. This is what I have considered to be an ibs attack, I wanted to see if that's what it is and if anyone else experiences this.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pain, no bowel problems new
      #119080 - 11/04/04 03:28 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I have pain predominant IBS-A but my pain is usually lower abdomen. I had upper abdomen pain before and my GI doc said it was a muscular reaction to the lower pain. I also get gas issues and D/C alternatively but the attacks are characterised by pain mostly.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#119151 - 11/04/04 07:03 PM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Hi Court - I have had some pain (when I was in the hospital in the summer) up top - that is why they thought it was something with the liver/gallbladder etc. Then another time they thought it was "definitely" an ulcer...negative on that too - lol. Now the pain is mostly lower...I have pain predominant IBS..leaning towards IBS-C...

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

#119217 - 11/05/04 06:53 AM
court10

Thank you for your responses. The pain sucks but Heather's diet definitely helps. What have you found helps the best when you feel it coming on?

#119224 - 11/05/04 07:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

it could be reflux probelms - that would tie in with the upper-abdomen thing and the nausea. Have you been checked out properly by a GI doc? It's very important to do so.

#119229 - 11/05/04 07:37 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

This also sounds like when I had gastritis in my stomach. I'd see a gastro if it continues. In the meantime, low acid foods help and Heather's diet too. Peppermint tea may make you worse if the problem is in your stomach, so be careful of that!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#119231 - 11/05/04 07:41 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I went to the ER about a year ago when an unbelievable pain attack had me up most of the night. I didn't have any D or anything like that. I wasn't C that I knew of, but when the docs asked me I realized it had been probably a day since I had a BM, so maybe I was a tiny bit C but not much. The pain I get feels like something is wrapped around me, like a girdle, and is just squeezing me so hard. It hurts up my back, up my front, knocks me to the ground, and is unbearable. One time it came on me at a bar, and I couldn't even stand up. Thankfully I haven't had one like that in a LONG time. The ER docs didn't do much for me: made me drink Milk of Mag (not a great idea, IMO), gave me tyelnol of the pain and benedryl to help me sleep, and sent me home. I wish I had some better advice. I think the best way to deal with the pain is to try not to get it in the first place -- stick really close to the diet! Best of luck,
Amanda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#119239 - 11/05/04 07:51 AM
court10

Yes, I have had two endoscopes, a colonoscopy, and other tests. I did have gastritis on my first endoscope and he gave me aciphex to take for two months. So I assume that it is cleared up. I think what happens is that my digestive tract gets off tract (when I get off tract) and it gets very sore for a couple of days. Does anyone else get that sore feeling? I was taking Nexium for a while but I don't like the idea of taking an acid reducing medicine that has to be taken long term for it to work.

#119241 - 11/05/04 07:52 AM
court10

Did you take nexium or aciphex?

#119261 - 11/05/04 08:34 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Aciphex... had to take it a long time to heal. Finally off it! Each time I went off too soon I started to have problems again. I also really watch the acid - OJ, tomatoes, NO coffee EVER (and I loved it!).

Also, I've really seriously had to learn how to cope with my level of stress. I don't know if that's an issue for you but it would probably aggravate the gastritis. And also eating small meals all throughout the day, never allowing the tummy to be completely empty.

I hope all this rambling is helpful! I feel for you - may you be well very soon!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Edited by ecmmbm (11/05/04 08:36 AM)

that was me for months! new
      #119699 - 11/07/04 11:43 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

yes, i know what you're talking about. for months i was plagued by pain and not so much anything else. i would be stopped in my tracks by the pain!

the fiber helped (getting the right dose for each person takes a while). so so yoga poses! if you've not tried that, you should. it gets stuff moving around much better in there.

--------------------

#119706 - 11/07/04 12:35 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Yep I get that alot!! No problems with my BM just gas pains!! Unfountanly my BM's haven gotten worse over the years!! So now I have both!! I use Gas x for the gas!!!
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#119726 - 11/07/04 02:04 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

Yes I have a lot of upper GI distress. Most of it is gas and I take a OTC Phazyme and that does seem to help. A long time ago I had a lot of pain in the stomach area and nausea. I had all the tests done and the doc said I had acid and told me to take pepcid and eat lowfat and smaller meals. I did that and got a lot better. I usually only get "D" when I eat a trigger food or have a lot of stress. BTW, stress also causes me to have nausea, too.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

#119770 - 11/07/04 06:53 PM
court10

Thanks for the reply. Yes, smaller meals, lowfat, and less stress do make a difference. I think following Heather's diet has helped me stop some of the intense pain from happening.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 670 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2127

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review