Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS venting
      #118628 - 11/03/04 02:14 PM
stidesheaven

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Colorado

Hi,

I've found Heather's web site extremely helpful. This is my first post. I'm a twenty-five year old female and I've had IBS for nearly four years.

It came as quite a shock to me because in the past I've been very athletic and active, and now am afraid to even attempt something outdoors without a bathroom. I also quit my job and have a history of being late, which jeapordizes my accountability at work. Explaining the condition to your boss doesn't do any good if you work for a large corporation, they could care less, if you're late, you don't have a job. Has anyone had a similar experience with work and IBS?

I have had major depression for years, and have been on and off medication for it, currently I am on Wellbutrin 150mg a day, Remeron 45mg at night, Ambien for sleep, and just recently Bentyl 20mg 4X a day. At first the anti-depressants (Remeron only) seemed to help my IBS, and in the past year it seems that the IBS just keeps getting worse and worse, I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I want to lead a normal life where food doesn't encompass everything.

It's so frustrating to know that IBS requires lots of small meals, with all the stipulations of avoiding triggers. Avoiding tight clothing, avoiding going out, avoiding taking too much Imodium in order to have a social life... I've given helpful brochures to my family to explain what IBS is and what I can and cannot eat because I am soo tired of explaining to them that I cannot eat anything in their house. This is one of the most frustrating aspects- my own parents have not tried to understand what is going on. I am really tired of feeling miserable all of the time, waking up feeling miserable and it getting worse through the day.

Another thing I should mention is that I had stomach surgery a little over a year ago, Nissan Funduplocation, which is for acid reflux, and since then has made gas and bloating worse.

I'm also concerned now about the Bentyl interfering with my antidepressants since I've heard it can affect how other drugs are absorbed into the body, and I've been depending on imodium for comfort at least 3 days a week and now I have to be careful about that as well. I really hope this bentyl will help.

Also, I avoid all trigger foods (and I mean EVERYTHING I've come across on Heather's site, other sites, and personal experience) and take 2 tablespoons of ground flax a day (freshy ground every morning).

I just got an opportunity to be in Winterguard, which is an athletic activity that starts this weekend and I am afraid that my IBS will prevent me from following through with this. I'm sorry about the venting, thanks for listening! Hope everyone who has IBS can get to a coping point, and hopefully an attack-free point. Take care!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS venting new
      #118673 - 11/03/04 03:21 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I just wanted to say hi and welcome. You're in the right place, and never apologize for "venting" - we've all been there (or are there right now!) and we all know how you feel all too well.

I can relate to your situation, especially, here and there. I used to be very active outdoors - not exactly athletic, but I used to hike and camp quite a lot. This past year was the first ever that I didn't go camping or hiking a single time - not once! I just didn't dare.

I'm also not working, currently. I wasn't fired or forced to quit; I quit of my own accord, when I was at the job for only a couple weeks and I was sick every morning before I went in, from the stress of it. I haven't worked since, because I know any job I take is going to put me in the same situation.

Have you been back to your doctor recently? I only ask because your symptoms are suddenly getting worse... it couldn't hurt to get checked out again, if you haven't already.

Anyway... it's nice to meet you, and hope you'll stick around.

#118678 - 11/03/04 03:28 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Welcome. Like Casey said don't apologise for venting.
We have all found the restrictions hard to cope with at first, however, ultimately the choice is in your hands, which is worst the pain/C/D or the restrictions?
I have pain predominant IBS and before I was diagnosed I swore that my life would end if I had to give up cheese. I haven't had ANY diary since 9th August and I don't miss it because the pain is gone too. I was never one that could stick to diets before but because this is for my own good and to eliminate pain I have found it fine.

I got very fed up at the beginning with all the restrictions and the difficulty eating out and feeling different but as my symptoms have abated I am feeling great about it.
Casey is right, you should go to your Dr to check out your worsening symptons..just in case.

Good luck and hang in there!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re: IBS venting, remember you are not alone new
      #118727 - 11/03/04 04:47 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

i am a 26 year old female who has had IBS for about 4 years now, also. Like you I was active, outgoing, fearless really. And now I stay in often on weekends, and skip out on things I used to enjoy. It sucks!

Just don't give up hope. Last year, July 2003, I just wanted to give up and stop eating completely, because even crackers and rice were making me sick. But I gradually worked in the SFS and gentle foods, and am now doing much better. Part of getting stabilized is just believing you will. Although, IBS, is a physical condition and I hate it when the doctors or other people tell me it is "all in my head", I have to admit that it is very much a mental and stress triggered condition. So just thinking positive really helps.

And yes having a job is hard. I never come in late, because I wake up about 3 hours before I have to be at work, just to make sure everything is stable before I leave. Plus I hate riding to meetings or training seminars with other people, and when I choose to ride alone, I don't get paid mileage, it sucks because IBS costs me extra money all the time. Plus I get tired of answering the question "why aren't you eating?" "why are you so picky?", "you're so thin, that ice cream won't hurt you", at every work function I go to.

My family has grown to understand. It has been hardest for my father to understand, because as a child I would eat anything, seriously, there is not a food I didn't like, and he can't understand why I can't eat it now.

I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and am so glad my IBS did not pop up until my last semester of college, or I don't think I would have made it through. I also want to get my MBA, and people at work keep encouraging me and asking why I haven't started on it yet. But I just don't think my stomach can hold up to going to work for 8 hours and then going to class and doing homework.

Anyway, a long post, to make a short statement. "you are not alone in the way you feel, and you will get better."

go to the doctor and rule out anything else, so it can clear your mind and concentrate on dealing with IBS.

lots of luck,
angela

#118737 - 11/03/04 05:27 PM
Chickadee

Reged: 11/02/04
Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Hi, I'm new,here,too!

Have you tried talking to your pharmacist about your concerns about drug interactions? Often they can give you a lot of information, and they aren't usually in as much of a hurry as doctors are.

I'm really sympathetic about your parents; my in-laws aren't very understanding my IBS situation either, and it makes family get-togethers and holidays awkward. I try to remind myself that I'm TRAINING them to accept my situation (like puppies), and that helps me to stay assertive with them, but also calm. Training takes repetition - whether for puppies or people who are not quite getting it.

I looked up Winterguard on the Internet - is that with the color guard and percussion?? It looks really cool!

Thanks for the support! new
      #118757 - 11/03/04 06:35 PM
stidesheaven

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Colorado

Thank you for your supportive words. I do have another appointment with the GI doc in December. Last time (6 months ago) we did blood tests for wheat allergy, h pylori (bacterial infection), etc (all normal) and for the depression we did a TSH and ANA test (Thyroid and Antinuclear antibodies) and I was borderline high on both of those, I will try to get these tests done again to rule out autoimmune disorders and such. Anyway, can't wait to get in to the doc in December to see what he says.

As far as the job situation, I am currently unemployed by choice as well, due to stress (I was a bill collector, not the ideal job for IBS huh?)

And yes the winterguard is associated with the indoor drumlines, we share competition sites with the drumlines. It is dance choreographed to music using flags, rifles, sabres, props, etc. The main organization for the sport is called Winter Guard International, or wgi.org and my winterguard is called Alchemy. Hopefully I can will my stomach to submissiveness Again thanks for all of your kind words!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 897

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review