All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Calcium supplements
      #118271 - 11/02/04 07:35 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

I've been taking Bentyl for a little over a week and been having decent results. Actually I was feeling so good that I decided to eat at McDonalds--bad, bad, bad!! (I now know what Heather means by ibs and McDonalds are not compatible)I digress, my question is: is it okay to take calcium supplements with Bentyl? (I've read not to take it with antacids & Tums is predominantly calcium carbonate)Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Calcium supplements new
      #118273 - 11/02/04 07:46 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I honestly don't know what Bentyl is, so I probably can't help you. But I do know that the reason they say to not take calcium and anti acids at the same time is because your stomach needs acid to break down the calcium. That is why the calcium in Tums, is pretty much useless, because your stomach won't break it down as well.

If Bentyl is an anti acid then I suggest taking a calcium supplement, but at a different time than when you take your Bentyl.

#118277 - 11/02/04 07:58 PM
als53051

Reged: 10/25/04

Bentyl is an antispasmodic/anticholinergic--which means it works by inhibiting smooth muscle in your gut, hopefully decreasing crampy pain. Generic name is dicyclomine. Because antacids may interfere with the absorption of anticholinergic agents, simultaneous use of these drugs should be avoided.

#118309 - 11/03/04 06:08 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I find if I take tums I get bad D. The only thing I can take is Pepcid AC. I can't even take digestive enzymes.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1710 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 791

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review