All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Me and SFS - IBS SUCCESS STORIES
      #118260 - 11/02/04 06:51 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Ok. well I have always had this pride thing about learning to control my ibs through diet alone, but since finding this site back last april and what with my ibs going through a hideous phase in the summer (now improving) - I sat on the potty today, having a tad of an attack, and asked myself why on earth I haven't tried the acacia everyone is raving about (how do you pronounce it by the way?).
I am usually an ibs c, ie I cannot eat white starchy stuff (the soluble fibre foods) without getting painfully C. I used to be able to tolerate tons of wholewheat and salad etc but since getting really bad this summer I cannot overdo any of the brans etc because I get the D's, and the worst part - terrible nausea, which I like to call the big 'N'.
So, ladies and gentlemen, though you may have written these stories before, I would like to hear how SFS (together with a good ibs friendly diet) has changed your life, and why I should order it NOW!!
as a side point - I think heather is incredible and her existance is the biggest blessing...so I am not wanting your stories because I doubt her..

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Me and SFS - IBS SUCCESS STORIES new
      #118306 - 11/03/04 05:46 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

SFS and peppermint caps are my lifeline.. I am basically off the meds- I still have Hyoscyamine for attacks but haven't used it in a MONTH! and I have consistant mostly formed stools without the urgency of D... yes- I'm an A... the only times I've had C or D where when I screwed up on the diet AND forgot my SFS... with just a screw up on the diet I have had softer stools or slight constipation but nothing like what I called an attack before... and the same when I miss the SFS.. diet alone isn't enough for me.. but the combination is so effective that I can't imagine life without it!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#118571 - 11/03/04 12:30 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

SFS made the biggest difference to my IBS after Heather's diet. My lovely GP at the time put me on a SFS even before the diagnosis had been confirmed. It was psyllium based, I went straight onto the full dose (not recommended), it contained artificial sweeteners and was absolutely gross, but IT STILL HELPED ENORMOUSLY. That's how cool they are. It was my first indication that my life wasn't over because I had this!

I've now switched to ACacia and you'll never get me off it now. I get NO side effects whatsoever from it: no bloating, gas, nausea - all the things I did get from Fybogel. You can put it in anything - I put in on my cereal in the morning, in soy milk at night and sometimes even on pasta! It's AMAZING! Get some!

#118577 - 11/03/04 12:35 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I agree with Linz.It has changed my life (along with adding insolubles and acidphilus). I am also taking Acacia. I would never go off of sfs!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#118754 - 11/03/04 06:22 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

I have taken a sfs for 27 years and when I don't I will have either D if I eat any trigger foods or C (which means very small hard stools but I will go several times a day.)if I eat safe foods. I will never be able to go off them. I have an extremely spastic colon.

#118767 - 11/03/04 06:55 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I don't know if you wanted just Acacia success stories or just SFSs in general? I can tell you that I'm DEFINITELY staying on an SFS for as long as possible, unless my body somehow starts rejecting it or something! I kinda thought the same way you do, I figured I would just follow the diet and I didn't want to be bothered by taking fiber drinks everyday. So I didn't for a long while, but then I gave in and did it. It took awhile to find the right one for me (Metamucil), but since I've started it, I don't think I've had ANY attacks!! Seriously, I can't remember having one attack since being on it Very cool. I am still C though which bites, but trust me, I'd rather just be C, then have pain/bloating/gas/unable to eat many foods ontop of the C. Since I've been on it, I can eat a much wider variety of foods. There are some things I still avoid, just cause I really don't care to see if I get an attack or not, I just figure better safe then sorry. But so far nothing I eat gives me attacks, maybe a little gas from time to time, but no biggy. I know others here don't get quite the same reaction as this, so I'm not promising you will be able to eat anything, but still, it really can work! And if one type doesn't work, try others! Good luck~

--------------------
IBS-C

YAY...SO HAPPY!! new
      #118794 - 11/03/04 09:32 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am so excited to start on them..I am hoping this is going to be the thing to bring me to a level where I can expand my diet...I am so disciplined with my diet and never cheat (a geek I know...just terrified of attacks)...will let you all know how it went...keep the stories coming!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 698 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review