All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Has Anyone Ever Felt This Way???
      #118006 - 11/02/04 08:31 AM
JldDolphin

Reged: 10/12/04
Loc: Long Island, New York

This is the third time this has happened to me this year and I was wondering if anyone else ever feels this way. I wake up, usually right after I fall asleep and I think I'm going to throw-up. I get very dizzy, think I'm going to black-out, but never do, have D, and than the chills for a while. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? I'm making another appointment to see my doctor, but when the same thing happened at the beginning of this year, they did all the tests and found nothing wrong, except that I of course still have IBS. Well that doesn't help me any. Any thoughts??

Jen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has Anyone Ever Felt This Way??? new
      #118011 - 11/02/04 08:42 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Jen - welcome to the boards!

Just a few questions so that maybe we can help you better. When you wake up, do you have abdominal pain (spasms)? Is it maybe something that you had for dinner or right before bed that might have caused the attacks?

I used to have a problem with waking up in the middle of the night with abdominal pain and D. And unfortunately I'm a fainter so all that pain would definitely make me dizzy during attacks and sometimes I'd pass out. I'd get nauseous occasionally if the pain was really bad, but I believe that was just from the pain.

I talked with my doctor after getting these and was prescribed an anti-depressant which has helped tremendously. Also talk to your doctor about having him prescribe you an anti-spasmatic that will help with the pain.

The only other advice I can give you is to follow Heather's diet and look at what you're eating the night before. Make sure you're eating the right things, getting enough fiber and water in your diet, and exercising!

Hope you start feeling better!

--------------------
- Jennifer

when I mess up... new
      #118014 - 11/02/04 08:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I wake up to cramps and D and sometimes such severe bloating and pain that I'm nauseaus.. not sure on dizzy.. but the rest of it yes..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#118019 - 11/02/04 08:52 AM
JldDolphin

No there is no pain involved. It is very rare that I ever have pain. I've been very lucky. My doctor says I have a mild case of IBS and if I just eat right and excercise I should be fine. I already take Donnetal (SP?) if my stomach is bothering me, but I only take it if I really need it. I used to take it all the time in the beginning, but that was 4 years ago and I've have pretty much kept it under control. I've been eating very well lately, so I don't see how it could be anything I eat. I had chicken, baked potatoe and broccoli for dinner last night. I'm usually pretty safe with that.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm feeling better today, just really tired, because I have a hard time sleeping after that happens to me.

Jen

#118025 - 11/02/04 09:04 AM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

I had chicken, baked potatoe and broccoli for dinner last night. I'm usually pretty safe with that.

It might be the broccoli! Broccoli can cause excess gas, which might be what is triggering the D! Unfortunately IBS is changing constantly so something that might have been okay for you a month ago, might start giving you problems now.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#118026 - 11/02/04 09:06 AM
JldDolphin

What would be a safer veggie to eat? I love my broccoli, but if I have to stop eating it I will.

#118031 - 11/02/04 09:12 AM
Jennifer Rose

The following vegetables are safe for most people to eat: carrots, yams, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, beets, squash, and mushrooms. Make sure you cook or purree them first!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#118035 - 11/02/04 09:16 AM
JldDolphin

I only like carrots raw. Is that bad? And the only other veggie that I would eat on your list is mushrooms. That stinks!

#118058 - 11/02/04 10:47 AM
Jennifer Rose

Certainly try other vegetables, but if you start getting attacks afterwards it might be because of the vegetables.

People are different - which means that IBS symptoms and triggers are different for everybody.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: when I mess up... new
      #118063 - 11/02/04 11:06 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

this is my major symptom - whilst I don't black out or get too dizzy, I know an attack is on its way because of terrible nausea, followed by a sloppy D poo, which creates more AWFUL nausea. It can wake me up (when its terrible) too. Nausea is the first symptom of a terrible night ahead. I esp hate the nausea just after the poo has come out, its from spasming inside and the sudden emptying of the gut. I also hardly ever get pain, and I never get pain and nausea together....just get pain from trapped wind.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 930

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review