All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Getting exasperated with IBS-C
      #117972 - 11/02/04 07:32 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I just started this new diet last week. I also just started taking Zelnorm last week (1.5 mg every other day). I only seem to have a bm if I take the Zelnorm. Yesterday was not a Zelnorm day, but I got the urge to go "potty." However, I absolutely could not go. Nothing. What's up with that? Do you think the Acacia could be making me more constipated?

I'll give you an example of my daily diet. I take 1 tsp Acacia morning & evening before meals. For breakfast, half a bagel with honey and a banana/mango fruit smoothy. For a snack, a couple graham crackers. For lunch, some rice, tuna, & green beans. Another snack of Kix. For dinner, chicken breast, sweet potatoes, & brussel sprouts. I also drink atleast 2 cups of peppermint tea every day.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting exasperated with IBS-C new
      #117976 - 11/02/04 07:39 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

It takes time to start working, especially when you have C, it takes even longer. No, it wouldn't cause C, it can cause bloating if you are taking too much (and adding too fast). I would wait a few weeks and then you should see better results. But, I didn't become stable until I was taking 2 Tablespoons. You will eventually get there yourself.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Do you think I need to add more insoluble fiber? new
      #117979 - 11/02/04 07:43 AM
bellshel32

Wow. 2 Tablespoons? That's a lot more. Maybe you're right. I'll have to gradually increase the Acacia.

Do you think I need to add more insoluble fiber? That part is very confusing to me. I don't want to just eat salad all the time because that doesn't sound like a good idea. But I'm a bit confused about the whole insoluble fiber issue.

Re: Do you think I need to add more insoluble fiber? new
      #117981 - 11/02/04 07:49 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hi I am a long time ibs c person!! you need more insoluble fibre from gentle sources: try some oatmeal for breakfast instead of the bagel (or alternate it). try brown rice instead of white rice. make a vegie soup full of root vegies..huge shot of safe vegetables. see if that helps....hope you feel better soon - take heart that results with ibs c take longer then d....just the way it is!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

thanks for the suggestions. new
      #117984 - 11/02/04 07:55 AM
bellshel32

I guess I'll try to make some alterations. I ate oatmeal for breakfast twice last week, but maybe I need to eat it more often.

Re: Do you think I need to add more insoluble fiber? new
      #117988 - 11/02/04 08:01 AM
Sweetd

No, I wouldn't and didn't add insolubles until I had more soluble fiber (but that's me). I was a very bad C as well. You are really supposed to add them gradually, like adding the fiber doses. It's all a slow process. Your body will let you know when it is safe to add or take away.

I started adding insolubles after 1 1/2 tablespoon (some people add sooner) but I just wanted to be on the safe side and also, I needed to experiment and find out what my "safe" insolube was and for me that is V8. I started off with drinking it after dinner and after my fiber (always after fiber). Now, I drink a large glass a night.

I also added Luna bars and other safe dairy free snack bars from the health food store.

I would really try slowly adding both. Good luck!

--------------------

that's good to know.... new
      #118003 - 11/02/04 08:29 AM
bellshel32

I never would have thought of V8 as a source of insoluble fiber. Maybe I'll try that soon, too.

I really appreciate the advice. The one improvement I've already noticed is that I'm not having alot of gas/bloating with this new diet. I used to have horrible problems with that, on top of the constipation.

thanks again!

Re: thanks for the suggestions. new
      #118024 - 11/02/04 09:04 AM
JldDolphin

Reged: 10/12/04
Loc: Long Island, New York

I'm IBS-C and I have noticed, since I started the diet, that oatmeal with a banana every morning was making me more regualar than I ever used to be. They have a lot of different flavors of oatmeal. I like the Maple with Brown Sugar the best, but there are a lot of different flavors out there.

Feel better!

#118039 - 11/02/04 09:19 AM
Sweetd

I eat the maple brown sugar or apples and cinnamon (I think that is what it is called) every morning for breakfast. They are yummy and very safe.

--------------------

#118041 - 11/02/04 09:26 AM
bellshel32

My kids eat the flavored oatmeal sometimes. I always used to think it would constipate me, so I stayed away from it. I'll have to join them & eat some!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4672 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1005

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review