All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Does anyone else have a family member who is a trigger for your IBS? new
      #11962 - 06/18/03 03:13 PM
michaelle

Reged: 06/05/03
Loc: Texas, U.S.A.

I'm not sure that is the answer, act like you don't have an interest in what one is saying around you. When I was little, I learned how to shut off being mad. When I got mad, it was only for a split second and then nothing....I'd feel nothing. I believe that I have done myself more harm than good. I have had this IBS since I could learn to shut off emotions.
I realize that putting up with someone's else's emotions is a great strain on those of us who have IBS. But if you have people around you who have a way of calmly discuss things around you, you would be better off than just letting it roll off your back and going on. Because sooner or later, you are going to have to deal with it one way or the other.
We are sensitive people, and a lot of people don't understand why we let things get to us. It maybe something minor to them, but it isn't to us. Congratulate yourself if you do have someone who will talk with you. It's the best medicine.

--------------------
EVER THOUGHT WHAT TOMORROW WILL BRING, WHAT YESTERDAY HAS BROUGHT AND WHAT TODAY HAS GIVEN YOU?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#11963 - 06/18/03 03:48 PM
Sherry1

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Alberta Canada

Thanks for you guys being out there!!! It is mainly my husbands family who appear to have a hard time accepting my situation and sometimes even my husband. My quilting friends however all have a healthy understanding. There are many events and activities that I have not been able to attend. I also have Fibromyalgia - which until recently has been the biggest obstacle. Lately, my IBS has held top spot.
The end result is that the tension & stress that occurs often sets up the vicious circle. As knowledgable as I think I am - I do not handle strees very well!!!!!!!

Can anyone guide me on ways to help handle STRESS. Any advice will be helpful.
Sherry Lynne

Re: No, but my friends are... new
      #11964 - 06/18/03 04:20 PM
Jenn

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: NJ

All of my friends, family members, and coworkers know I have IBS. In fact, so do my husbands friends, my in-laws, and various other people. I'm one of those people who has never been too embarrassed to discuss bodily functions, even before I was diagnosed. I find that when I do discuss it, people tend to open up more about their own issues. I gave my in-laws the lists of good and bad foods from Heather's book, so she knows what to cook for me when I go over there. When people know, it makes things sooo much easier and it is a big relief to know I don't have to hide anything.

#12007 - 06/19/03 07:20 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Stress is a big factor for me, too. I tend to keep things in until it becomes too much to handle and I "explode". Although I don't do it as often as I should, Yoga helps alot with stress. I have video tapes that I do yoga to at home. Also brisk walking helps. I read once that exercise helps to release a chemical in the brain called Seretonin(sp?) which in turn helps reduce stress and depression.

#12008 - 06/19/03 07:22 AM
Nugget

Thanks for reminding me that the attacks are a product of how I react to different things. It helps to keep that in mind. It also helps to know there are others who go through the same thing. {{{{hugs}}}}}

Re: No, but my friends are... new
      #12010 - 06/19/03 07:26 AM
Nugget

I, too find it easier when others know what I am going through. They can't cook the "right" things and such if they don't know what's going on.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5003 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3818

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review