All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question about celevac
      #11748 - 06/16/03 05:00 AM
nic1979

Reged: 06/16/03

i read about celevac on this board for my loose bowels and went to buy some but on the box it says to have a small sip of water when you suffer diarrhoea but i read somewhere else you have to drink a lot with them, which is right? drink a little or lots?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about celevac new
      #11749 - 06/16/03 05:42 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

I'm guessing they suggest to take it with AT LEAST a small sip of water? Whenever you have diarrhea, you need to replenish the water you lose. I don't know a thing about the med in question...but that's what I've always been told in regards to diarrhea.

I suggest you call a pharmacy. They should know specfics about the med.

Hope this helps...let us know what you find out!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#11752 - 06/16/03 05:55 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi!
When I first started taking Celevac, I had loose stools (it was never D in the sense of sudden attacks several times a day but just once or twice). Anyway, my GP knew that and still she told me to take the Celevac with lots of water. I remember asking her about it and she said, no, take it with lots of water (she never gave me a reason, Doctors never seem to do...). Maybe because she felt the purpose of the product was not so much to soak up excess liquid but to bulk up the nervous bowels - and in order to do so it needed the water. I followed her advice and always had at least one or two glasses of water with the tablets. I did however for some time take two before breakfast with only half a glass of water because I didn't want to trigger anything. I don't think that was effective. In any case I don't think the IBS-D is the same as the diarrhoea mentioned in the Celevac leaflet.

Perhaps some other, non-British, people can offer advice, I think Celvac is comparable to Fibercon?!

Susaloh

#11753 - 06/16/03 06:03 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi, Ruchie,
The sad thing with all these medications is that they never seem to be geared towards treating IBS. Ever so often they're officially meant to help with something else. That was definitely true for Celevac. It's considered a laxative and is also meant to fill you up in case you want to loose weight. No word about IBS. Consequently pharmacists often don't know either. For example, my pharmacist here didn't have a clue that charcoal might help against bloating. That's because it doesn't say so in the leaflet either. Why? Because there are just a few studies proving it does help against bloating and so the German FDA probably decided it was not enough and so it's just not mentioned. Imagine the millions of people missing out on it! If it weren't for the Internet, one could never find out certain things.
I shouldn't talk so much but do something sensible!!
Bye!
Susaloh

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 493 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2244

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review