All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm New
      #117164 - 10/29/04 11:32 PM
Amari

Reged: 10/29/04

Hi everyone,
My name is Amari and I have been diagnosised with IBS for the last year. I was told to eat more fiber and fruit. I always have nausea and upset stomach when going to the toliet. Sometime constipation and light headness. I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was thinking of going on the IBS diet, but I don't think that I can give up these foods. I'm sure that I could reduce my intake of certain foods and how I eat like having smaller and more offen meals extra. I can't drink that soy milk, I have to have my dairy. I was wondering if you would think that it would work if I could modify the diet to what would suit me and then see how my nausea goes. That is my worst problem is this persistant nausea, the doctor said it must be the IBS as they can find no other cause for it. Wow this is a long post..I'm sorry. I would appresate any help I could get.....Thank you all!!!
Cheers, Amari

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm New new
      #117169 - 10/30/04 02:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well, firstly nausea is a problem with Fibro so I guess it could also be linked to CFS.

Secondly, for me at least, dairy is the number one cause of nausea! So I'd really recommend giving it up. You really do get so you don't mind at all.

Thirdly, welcome!

#117187 - 10/30/04 05:44 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

try giving up dairy for a week or 2 and see what a difference it makes before stating you have to have it.. I thought giving it up would be impossible till i went without it for a period and saw how much better I was... then it was easy to give up.

there are decent tasting alternatives for most dairy products, especially Milks.. in soy, rice and almond based milks...

good luck!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Hello and Welcome!!! new
      #117189 - 10/30/04 05:53 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I would say try it and see!!! If your version dosen't work you may want to consider giving up the dairy!! Also I have found taking a SFS to help with my Nausea!!!
Feel free to ask anything or just vent!!!
GOOD LUCK

--------------------
Heather7476

#117198 - 10/30/04 06:28 AM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

Hi and welcome. But you are going to have to really try and give up dairy. I still "cheat" and have a little bit every once in a while, after a full soluble fiber meal and by taking a few lactaid pills. However, my stomach still bloats up. And not only does dairy effect my IBS, but it also causes me migraines, so I avoid it all I can. Unfortunately soy also causes me migraines, so if I do need a "milk", I use rice milk.

I would really encourage you to give up dairy. When I was very young, me and my sisters would not drink milk and my mom was worried about our bones. However, she asks our pediatrician and he said "don't force them to drink milk, the only things on earth that need cow's milk are calves". And none of us (6 kids) have every broken a bone. You can get calcium from other foods and from supplements.

Also, when the doctor told you to eat more fruit I hope he or she knew the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber. Read about it on this website, because some fruits will trigger an attack if not peeled or cooked. So be careful.

Sorry for such a long response, but dairy is one of my buttons.

Welcom Amari! new
      #117210 - 10/30/04 07:00 AM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

I'm glad you found this website. Everyone here is very helpful and this site is just packed with great information & suggestions.

Pain and nauseau are my worst symptoms (I have IBS only - no CFS or Fibro) and since starting Heather's diet I've felt much better. I know giving up dairy and other things that you love can seem overwhelming but it really is worth it. Everything that I loved and can't have now I've replaced with something else. Maybe you'd like rice milk instead of soy. I've also found sprinkle soy cheese that tastes just like parmesan!

Heather's books are also very helpful and can be ordered right on this website.

Good luck to you and please let us know how you're doing.

Kim

#117308 - 10/30/04 01:18 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi & Welcome Amari,

I would say keep a food diary and maybe eat safe foods and small portions for a few days. Stay away from dairy for a couple of days and just see if you feel better. Write down everything you eat & drink in your food diary and then you can go back and trace what is making you feel bad. When I had nausea a lot my doc said it was stomach acid. He had me take Pepcid and eat low fat and smaller meals. That did help. Also, when I get nausea I take pepto bismol and it does help me.

Barbie

--------------------

Have you tried a different brand of soy milk? new
      #117312 - 10/30/04 01:24 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

There are some brands that taste better than others. I like the Silk vanilla or the 7th Continent vanilla.

I just gave up dairy this week, so I don't know if it will help, but I hope so!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 559 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1098

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review