All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Weight loss
      #1170 - 02/20/03 05:49 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

I have been on my IBS diet for nearly 2 months now and I don't think I have lost any weight. I have cut out all junk, I don't even eat chocolate anymore does anyone have any ideas as to why this has happened? I am eating so much more healthy and am sure I have cut my food intake a fair bit as well.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight loss new
      #1174 - 02/20/03 09:52 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Just wondering - are you getting 30 mins aerobic exercise each day? It really helps.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1179 - 02/21/03 03:40 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I was on the diet for almost 4 months before I saw any noticeable weight loss. Since then I have lost 35lbs. Just don't give up. Exercise is a key as well. I started doing yoga and it was an absolute life saver.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#1183 - 02/21/03 06:54 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi Trish!

I am in the same boat as you - I have had no weight loss yet, I don't exercise though and I guess I really should start. It seems to be the key to success.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#1221 - 02/22/03 07:39 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Trish - portion control--it's all about portion control.l I've been on WW (Wt Watchers) for about a year and a half and I eat almost anything as long as it low in fat, sugar and watch my portions. I've lost almost 44 lbs. I'm at a plateau now and can't seem to get past. Guess I'll have to throw the towel in and start w/the exercise. Luckily the weather';s been great so I've started gardening, which is good exercise. If you want some suggestions on portion sizes, let me know. Good Luck.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1289 - 02/23/03 04:38 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03

Hi Sharon

I would love some advice on portion size. I feel so much better and I am not exercising either which will help when I eventually do! Does gardening count as exercise?

Trish

#1292 - 02/23/03 06:15 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

yes, gardening does count as exercise. Anything you can do to get some movement , no matter how muchn does count.

#1320 - 02/24/03 08:01 AM
SharonMello

Trish - yes, gardening does count as exercise. When I garden, I'm usually pulling weeds or planting so it is light exercise--but it's activity. And I feel better emotionally when I'm done for the day--you know, being one with Mother Earth and all that!

Anyway, portion sizes--Are you on Weight Watchers? If not, here's some guidelines:

Fist = 1 cup or 1 medium whole fruit
Thumb tip to base = 1 ounce of meat or cheese
Thumb tip to 1st joint = 1 tbsp
Fingertip to 1st joint = 1 tsp
Index finger 1st and 2nd joint = 1 inch
Cupped hand = 1 to 2 oz of nuts or pretzels
Palm minus fingers = 3 oz of meat, fish or poultry

Okay...rice: 1/2 to 1 cup per serving
pasta: same
(I usually have 1/2 cup with something else over it, like Tess Louise's cabbage stew).

Before I go on, why don't you post back and tell me if you're on WW or not or if you're trying to lose or gain? That'll help me a lot. Also Heather's books should be able to help w/portion sizes. You don't want to eat too much because then you'll really feel uncomfortable. I'll wait to hear from you.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#1321 - 02/24/03 08:20 AM
SharonMello

Trish - sorry about the question--it was right in your subject! Well, duuuhhhhh!

Anyway, WW is a great "eat for life" program. Because it is a healthy way to eat for the rest of your life, except for ibsers (I make the appropriate exchanges), I do feel better. And my husband gets the benefits because I'm the cook...so whatever I cook he eats or he goes out to eat!

So depending on how much you weigh, you are given a points range to stay within for each day. Then when you drop to another range in weight, you decrease the points accordingly. For instance, if you weigh less than 150 lbs your daily point range is 18-23. Here are the rest:

150-175 lbs 20-25 pts
175-199 lbs 22-27 pts
200-224 lbs. 24-29 pts
225-249 lbs 26-31 pts
250-275 lbs 28-33

This goes for men or women. So the only thing you need to know now is how many points certain foods have in them. I'll try to do ibs foods for now and when I post recipes, I try to put the points/serv w/them.

0 pts
1 c beets cooked
1 c canned tomatoes
2 tbsp tom paste
1 c turnips
1 c salsa
1 c bouillon any type FF (fat free)
1 c broth any type FF
1 c spaghetti squash
1 c summer squash
1 c zucchini
2 tbsp FF italian dressing
1 c fresh mushrooms
1 c pumpkin
lemon juice
garlic

rice = 1/2 c = 2 pts
1 c = 4 pts
pasta = same
1 banana - 2 pts
1 egg beater = 1
1/4 c cranberry sauce = 2
1 - 6" flour tortilla light = 1
1 - 6" flour tortilla reg = 2
1 english muffin light = 1
1 english muffin reg = 2
2 gingersnaps = 1
1 c unsweetened applesauce = 1
7 no fat crackers = 1
1 tbsp jam/jelly = 1
1 c puffed cereal = 1
1 pita, 1/2 lg or 1 small = 1
2 sl reduced cal bread = 1

1/2 cup bay shrimp = 2
1 small reg cookie = 2

1 chicken breast no skin 3 oz. = 3 (usually white meat poultry is 1 point per oz.)
1 small bagel or 1/2 large = 3
1 oz baked potato chips = 3
2 small cookies = 3

Why don't you give me the particular foods and I;ll give you point values.

Also, if you know someone who is going to WW, maybe they could get you one of their books that has billions of foods in them w/their pt values. I can do it, too.

Waiting to hear from you...Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#2653 - 03/13/03 02:57 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03

I found that I had put on weight with the ibs which is a real pain considering a lot of people lose weight. I've cut out all fats and am doing exercise. I've lost 7kg's in 3-4 weeks and have stayed on this for a further 3 weeks. Seems like I can't get beyond it!

#2655 - 03/13/03 03:35 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Sharon, thanks to you, I've re-joined WW. I've only been on it for officially 2 days but it really feels great!

Their online program looks awesome - and its perfect for people like me who can't get to meetings.

#2673 - 03/13/03 06:43 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I normally dont ecourage people to lose weight (I'm a fat accpetance activist!)...but since you asked...

I dropped 100 lbs without intending to. It was a side effect of trying to treat my IBS. This is what I did:

I cut most fat from my meals
I drink only water, occasionally pure fruit juice and skim milk
I exercise daily (exercise regulates the bowels)
I eat smaller portions, and switched from 3 big meals to 6 mini-meals a day
I dont eat after 6 PM because when I do it wakes me up around 4 AM with nightmares and stomachaches.

Maybe if you do what I did it would work for you?

But remember, some people are genetically meant to be big. Not sure if you knew that or not. I know I'm not because I was quite skinny when I was in my teens and early 20s. But there is a gene that makes some people heavy, esp. if they have always been heavy even as little kids.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

#2674 - 03/13/03 06:48 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

Weight Watchers leaves a very bad taste in my mouth...as a skinny kid growing up I saw my mom almost destroy herself mentally on WW. Seeing what it did to her made me forever swear off dieting (even though at the time I was thin and never had a reason to diet.)

I know another woman who said WW made her anorexia worse...she went to them seeking help to lose weight even tho she was thin. Instead of sending her to someone who could help with her eating disorder, they let her join and her anorexia became worse.

If someone really wants to lose fat, diets are not the way to do it. Diet centers know you will gain it back plus some, and its the return clients they bank on to make money.

I'd recommend just eating normal portions, healthy food and exercise. That's it. Worked for me, and I was not even trying to lose weight either.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2891

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review