All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Helllo AGAIN.. Everyone must be getting fed up of me!!!
      #116951 - 10/29/04 05:36 AM
Sophia

Reged: 10/27/04

I dont mean to bother ayone again. But I just feel like I am struggling. I do not know what to eat- I cant think of meals and stuff. I can not afford the book as I am student and i am way short of cash...

My main problem is breakfasts - I dont like Oatmeal and Rice crispies and stuff. I like boiled eggs (whites) and bread which is the only thing I can think of.I miss yoghurts (even though I dOnt think they were teh cause of my IBS). I am goin shopping on saturday but I just dont know what to put in my trolley...I love rice and chicken and noodles. But if I was to put a list of foods together for my grocery shopping I wouldnt know what to put in...?!?!

A lot of the recipies on here are American and me being BRitish we dont have those ingredients...

Eekk. i feel like a pain now asking..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Helllo AGAIN.. Everyone must be getting fed up of me!!! new
      #116960 - 10/29/04 06:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Try rice cakes, soy milk, bread fresh from a bakery (no high fructose corn syrup), soy/veggie/rice cheese (I can't eat it so if you can't no biggie), LOTS of rice, fruits and veggies to be pureed/steamed later when you get home.

You can make soups, eat the rice ceakes/pretzels for a snack, add the fruits/veggies to rice dishes or soups (you can also add veggies to your eggs in the morning), and of course pasta. Do you get Odwalla in England? I buy their juices and add em to my noodles/rice/chicken for flavoring...yum!

Hope this helps, I'm sure othes will have better suggestions!

Love,

Ruchie

P.S. You're never a bother!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#116966 - 10/29/04 06:50 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Sophia, we all ask lots of questions when we are brand new to the boards but I'm only here 2 months and I can answer questions now!

Check out the Recipe Exchange for recipes, a lot of the ones in the book are on it.

Check this link out where we have talked about this before:

UK Brands

When I go food shopping I buy: turkey mince; chicken breasts, chicken or turkey sausages, vegetable fingers, carrots, potatoes, rice, Dolmio stir in pasta sauce, mushrooms, and noodles. Also mint tea, pitta, tortilla wraps, fish (cod or salmon) Hellmanns Extra Light Mayonnaise. Try smoothies for breakfast with a banana a handful of frozen strawberries or raspberries and some soy milk, whizz it in the blender. I also like bananas on toast for brekkie.

For cooking I buy Tesco own brand applesauce, normal flour. The US recipes require a lot of baking powder, bread soda (they call it baking soda) and cocoa. Cornstarch is cornflower and you can use sunflower oil instead of canola.

Check out this thread: UK ingredients

Also I bought measuring cups in Debenhams (for a fiver) to measure the recipes or you can get a cheap plastic jug that has cup measurements on it. Now I NEVER use my weighing scales to bake anymore! (There are also website that convert cups to ounces for you)

If you have any more questions just ask!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Never! new
      #116967 - 10/29/04 06:50 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

We welcome questions! We'll never get sick of you - promise!!

I'll try to make some suggestions, but being that I'm American, they might not be the best of suggestions. I'm sure someone will come along who can help a bit better.

Egg whites and bread are fine for breakfast. Just make sure you're getting a good-quality white bread that doesn't contain dairy products. Can you get soy yogurt over there? You might have to look in a health-food or natural-foods store to find it, but that would definitely be a safe way to curb the yogurt craving!

I'll tell you what I always keep on hand, and try to stick with what I think you'd still be able to get over there:

- Chicken breasts, skinless/boneless and bone-in
- Turkey, whole breasts, split breasts, and ground
- Pasta, and lots of it
- Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Carrots
- Frozen peas
- Canned fruit, mostly peaches and pears in juice or light syrup
- Cereal, mostly for snacking (I'm not a cereal-for-breakfast person either)
- Bread products: Italian bread, sandwich bread, bagels
- Vegetarian "meats" - veggie burgers, soy breakfast sausage - read the ingredients before buying!
- Bouillion and chicken broth

Out of all that, I can honestly say that I live on potatoes. I make a potato soup (I posted the recipe over on the recipe board) that I end up eating for lunch all week. I eat oven fries, "skinny" mashed potatoes (made with broth instead of butter & cream), baked potatoes, potato pancakes - you name it! - every single day.

If there's a recipe you want to try, post to it and someone might be able to help you find substitutions. In some cases, you have the ingredients over there, but we just call it something different over here. I know there's a few UK people on here, and I know they cook and bake. Someone will be able to help!

Good luck - and like I said, I'm sure someone will come along who can help a little better than I can.

LINZ YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP BETTER!!!!! new
      #116968 - 10/29/04 06:51 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Don't be silly your not a bother. We have all been ther and staring is the hardest part. I cried the first time I went grocery shopping for my new IBS diet. Now I just breeze through the store. No Biggie!!

Breakfast is not one of my fav meals. I rarely eat it. Try some apple suace, or take some fruit and soy milk and make a smothie!! Eat some toast first!! I don't know if you get honey comb over there but that is good with vannilla soy milk!!

Linz is in the UK and she would be able to help you more I think!! So that is why I put that as the subject. to grab her notice!!

Good Luck!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#116975 - 10/29/04 07:11 AM
Sophia

Reged: 10/27/04

Wow thanks Guys!!

I get really blown away with the constant support on here. It does get hard and I get quite low cus I have had a lot of problems in my life and its all about starting form scratch..I have been on countless diets to lose weight- I have like a stone to go at least and it hasnt been easy. I think all the crazy diets damaged my tummy!!!OOpps

I wouldn't be surprised! new
      #116989 - 10/29/04 08:33 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was very, very sick this past spring and summer... my IBS got so bad that I was basically bedridden, couldn't eat, and my doctor was threatening me with hospitalization if things didn't improve. I've had IBS most of my life, but I've NEVER been that sick before, and I'm absolutely convinced that low-carb dieting nearly killed me. Never, ever again!!

Anyway, just glad we can help, even if it's "just" being here for support on bad days. Don't worry - the shopping bit does get easier! Once you've been on the diet for a little while, it's second nature.

Hey Sophia..Im a student in the UK too!! new
      #117025 - 10/29/04 10:42 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey sophia,
Just wanted to let you know that Im also like you...Im a student studying interior design at Leeds Metropolitan...what uni are you at? This website is amazing Ive been using it since christmas last year but am only at the moment just getting properly stabilised! I know exactly what you mean about being skint...I actually only have pennies left in my purse and owe money to my credit card so I know exactly what its like. I dont think alot of people realise how hard it is having this so young...I wish Id got it when I was older...I know I probably wouldve coped so much better...Ive had it since I was 15! If you have any questions that you'd rather ask privately you can email me at nlc14@hotmail.com. Hope you are feeling better soon xx

--------------------
Natalie

This website has most of the information from new
      #117069 - 10/29/04 01:36 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

the book plus more US! See if your local library has a copy or sometimes you can buy it used through the internet like amazon.com. I think the boards and don't forget Heather's newsletters, have been so helpful because you can bounce ideas off one another and see what has worked for some people and what hasn't.

--------------------
IBS-D

#117175 - 10/30/04 03:07 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi there. Email me or chat on messenger anytime you want.

Here's a sample of what I get from Tescos for meals:
Rice
Pasta
Potatoes
Mushrooms
Courgettes (zucchini)
Butternut squash
Pasta sauce - tomato ones and a creamy white mushroom one from the free-from range
Mushy peas
Frozen peas
Noodles
Quorn burgers/nuggets/sausages

With that lot you can have...
mushroom or zucchini risotto,
Butternut Squash sauce with pasta,
pasta sauce from jars with pasta,
Quorn something wih oven fries/baked potato/rice and peas,
stir-fried mushrooms and zucchini (if you peel them they're even safer) with spices and noodles,
etc, etc, etc

There's LOADS of stuff.

In my experience Tescos is the best supermarket as it has a great free-from range, nice soya milk (make sure you get the sweetened and calcium enriched one for drinking!), baked crisps (the brand name's Sakata and they're in big bags somewhere near the kettl chips), etc.

Good luck!

PS. rice and pasta and veggies are very cheap, so are great for students!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2593 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2352

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review