All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why do I get attacks even when I havnt eaten?
      #116863 - 10/28/04 05:30 PM
shannon s

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Victoria, Australia

Even when I havn't eaten anything, for example, when I first get out of bed in the morning I still get the attacks why would this be happening? Sometimes I get them during the night as well, it has started to affect my social life, as i always have to be near a toilet as the attacks can happen at any time of the day, I am at my wits end.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why do I get attacks even when I havnt eaten? new
      #116866 - 10/28/04 05:39 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Oh the joys of ibs...let us count them!
looks like your ibs is at a bad stage ie it is spasming a lot, causing the attacks....
what are you eating? what we eat can effect us up to 76 hours later!!! letting yourself get hungry and empty is also a bad trigger for attacks...heres what I keep next to my bed: crackers, crystallised ginger, bananas, water...I always make sure the kettle has water in it incase i need to boil it quickly and teabags are close at hand.
so please elaborate about your diet and lifestyle.....it WILL get better!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#116896 - 10/28/04 06:51 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Like Dalia says, it will get better! Take me for example - five years ago I couldn't go to a store 5 min from my house. Two weeks ago I flew out to Vegas for the Fall Sprawl with no problems!

Anyway, like Dalia suggested, elaborate more on your situation and hopefully we can help you out.

#116905 - 10/28/04 07:38 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Shannon, if something doesn't affect me right after I eat it, than I will be sick something like 4- 6 or sometimes even EIght hours later. Crazy, isn't it? I know this for a fact, since I was keeping a food journal for a while (too lazy lately )
I noticed that fatty foods will affect me later rather than sooner, but dairy is usually instant. Sometimes an empty tummy can make me sick, too.
My advice is, if you NEED to make sure you don't get D on your big night out, do what I do for that day, eat only white bread (french), white rice, and pretzels. Sometimes I will add a little soy or something in, but nothing fancy!
This is only a once in awhile soloution, it is not healthy to eat just bread for a day.
make sure you are drinking your teas and stuff, too, to make sure that everything is out of your system before you go out.

--------------------
-Sheri

Btw.... new
      #116932 - 10/29/04 02:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...a too empty tummy can actually cause an attack!

Linz is right! new
      #116984 - 10/29/04 08:15 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

...a too empty tummy can actually cause an attack!

I find that if I don't eat (which often happens with my hectic schedule), I'll have an attack in the middle of the night. I've had some of my worst attacks because I didn't eat dinner the night before.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#116995 - 10/29/04 08:57 AM
shannon s

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Victoria, Australia

Thanks for all of your answers, as I said I have just found out in the lst couple of weeks that I have it, and was ment to see a dietian next week but had t put it off as I am going into hospital to have my tonsils out now cant go for another month. but however today after looking at all this info i now know what I should/should not eat.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3965 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review