All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Less Owww-y Sources of Insoluble Fiber
      #116625 - 10/28/04 08:10 AM
Bilbo

Reged: 07/27/04

I am progressing well with my SFS and it seems to be getting rid of the straining needed to accomplish a BM. However, I still think I need more insoluble fiber. Usually I will get about 15-20g of soluble fiber and feel like I should at least match that amount with insoluble fiber, perhaps get a bit more.

However, many sources of insoluble fiber bother me. Beans turn my tummy inside out - is that something you get used to, or should I just avoid beans? Tortilla chips taste great but, and it could be the hummus, give me a stomach ache. Whole wheat? Not sure if it bothers me.

I know Clif Bars are great for me and get 4g of insoluble fiber (and 1g of soluble fiber), so I try to eat two a day. Any other good sources that don't hurt the tummy?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try veggies and fruits new
      #116627 - 10/28/04 08:15 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not sure if you're eating fruits and vegetables yet, but if not, you should be. Start with canned fruits (I found peaches and pears to be good) and well-cooked vegetables (I started with carrots, then added peas and spinach). Don't do anything raw yet! Then, gradually start trying other fruits and vegetables, one at a time. Everyone's different, so unfortunately, you just have to try them and see how you do! Same for whole wheat.

You might want to go easy on beans. Your body can get used to them, but if they're really making your system go crazy, I'd skip them for now. And about the tortilla chips - are they baked and low-fat? If not, that could be why they gave you a stomachache!

Re: Less Owww-y Sources of Insoluble Fiber new
      #116634 - 10/28/04 08:35 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Try some of the smoothies on the recipe board or in Heather's cookbook. I make them w/ berries, peaches, bananas, and pineapples. The fruit is peeled and pureed so it makes it a safer form to eat them. Try other veggies such as tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers but peel and seed them and preferrably cook them. That usually makes them safer. Also I have a problem w/ beans giving me gas so I take Beano before I eat them. I don't know if that would help you. But it is OTC and they sell it by the fiber and laxatives in most stores.

Good Luck,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Re: Less Owww-y Sources of Insoluble Fiber new
      #116636 - 10/28/04 08:39 AM
Bilbo

I will check out the recipes for smoothies. I had gotten frozen mango pieces from Trader Joe's but realized frozen does not go well with an old blender! Will thaw them in the fridge and try to find a recipe for them...

Oh I forgot..... new
      #116637 - 10/28/04 08:40 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

try to get a good layer of soluble fiber in your tummy before eating the insoluble fiber. And eat the insoluble fiber in small portions to lessen the chance of an attack. And always try to skin, blend, puree, peel, and cook veggies and such to make them safer.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Re: Try veggies and fruits new
      #116638 - 10/28/04 08:40 AM
Bilbo

Do you know if hummus is made with raw chickpeas? If so, that could be why my stomach is reacting!

Nope... new
      #116645 - 10/28/04 09:07 AM
atomic rose

The chickpeas in hummus are cooked. But I bet the garlic in it is raw.

Re: Nope... new
      #116649 - 10/28/04 09:22 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

the garlic IS raw....you can try making homemade hummous in which you just take canned chickpeas and then you can roast some garlic yourself (to make it less potent)...that means you can also watch the olive oil content, depending on how much oils upset your tummy.
good luck!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Nope... new
      #116657 - 10/28/04 09:37 AM
Bilbo

Hmmm... tis a good idea. I'll check out if Trader Joe's has any garlic-less hummus and if not it's off to cook some for meself...

Ooh, and will switch to baked tortilla chips while I am at it.

Even better... new
      #116665 - 10/28/04 10:10 AM
atomic rose

Hummus is traditionally eaten with pita bread. If you're looking for crunch, pita can be split and oven-toasted, to make pita chips. Fat-free, too!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1354

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review