All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Osteoporosis Treatment
      #116419 - 10/27/04 02:23 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I just found out that I have severe osteoporosis at only 40 years of age! My doctor has recommend Actonel, or the possibility of taking Estrogen. I'm afraid to take either of these , as the side effects are bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea... Yikes! I hurt all the time already and I am battling alternating c and d, and usually look 9 months pregnant by the end of the day. But I'm scared about my bones. The osteoporosis is severe with high risk of fracture. I don't know what to do? My body is so sensitive to all medications . I'm on my 5th antidepressent (desipramine and only 10mg) because my body just can't handle the GI side effects. Can anyone provide any advise on what treatment may help with the least amount of GI pain and aggravation?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Osteoporosis Treatment new
      #116425 - 10/27/04 02:43 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi and Welcome,

I am 60 and have Osteopenia which is the potential for osteoporosis. I have been scared to take anything that will affect my stomach, too. The doc gave me something in the form of a nasal spray and the only side effect could be a possible headache. I have been scared to use that, too, because I have been having sinus headaches lately. It is just sitting on the counter. I am going to get brave soon and try it, though.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#116429 - 10/27/04 02:50 PM
NikkiZ52

Reged: 05/16/04

I have found out that I have osteoporosis at the age of 28. I have done a lot of reading on it because the actonel and fosomax both upset my stomach. I now take calcium supplements (caltrate), and am going to start lifting weights. Weight lifting is a sure way to build back some bone mass.

#116447 - 10/27/04 03:58 PM
Augie

How much calcium do you take a day? I'm afraid to take a lot because it is constipating and that in itself can be painful! Do you take it in divided doses? Do you take the kind with magnesium? Thanks for your response.

--------------------
~ Beth

#116453 - 10/27/04 04:17 PM
NikkiZ52

Reged: 05/16/04

I take an extra 1200 mg of Calcium a day. I take Caltrate Plus which has magnesium, vitamin D, zinc, copper, manganese, and boron in it...the minerals and vitamin D are supposed to help in the absorption. I take one tablet twice a day. I have IBS-D though, so I was not too worried about the constipating effect.

Augie, you poor thing *hugs* new
      #116458 - 10/27/04 04:29 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

1st, welcome to the boards!

2nd, you poor thing you!

I am guessing that at this point calcium is not the answer? Are you doing Heather's diet? Have you tried probiotics? Do you get enough rest, water, exercise, soluble fiber, relaxation time, and everything else you need to take care of yourself?

If you aren't on Heather's diet, I beg you to start....if calcium will help, take tums and/or a calcium supplement. Solgar's makes good vitamins and I got calcium from them at Whole Foods (I'm 25 so I am trying to avoid osteoparosis).

If you want to try the meds the doc recommended, keep an open mind that maybe the side effects won't happen to you. They have to list them as possibilities...but they are not guarantees.

Gosh, I'm so sorry! *hugs*

On the up-side, you're so young...that will help you cope with this with more strength than if you were older. I think you can use this to work for you (although I must admit I don't know enough about osteoparosis to kknow if that's true..).

Wishing you a lot of luck, health, strength, and determination....and of course prayers and hugs!

Love,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Magnesium and calcium new
      #116459 - 10/27/04 04:34 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Augie,

If you're IBS C take the calcium with magnesium...

If you're IBS D take the calcium with less magnesium.

You will prob have to take some time to find a dose that works best with your bowels. I'm IBS C and if I take equal amouints calcium and magnesium it does nothing for my bowels. You'll have to tr it and see...who knows, maybe this'll help your tummy too?!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#116473 - 10/27/04 05:09 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Can you modify your diet to allow you to take the meds - sounds like you really need them. I would avoid all foods and drinks that could produce gas. This means anything from pop to onions and broccoli. Also, fennel tea is helpful for bloating. Steep a teaspoon in a mug of boiling water. This is by no way a cure, but it really can help with the bloating. Make sure you chew your food thoroughly and eat slowly - no gulping.
Hugs, Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Magnesium and calcium new
      #116660 - 10/28/04 09:57 AM
Augie

Thank you so much for responding to my post! I have been using Heather's website for a year or so now, but was always afraid to pose a question. I guess I felt like I would be intruding or something since you all seem so close. But now, I cannot believe how caring and welcoming you and the others who responded have been. It is so nice to have people who generally want to help totall strangers. And I have been browsing the sight so long it feels very weird to have people I have known from the sight actually writing to me!
Anyhow, on to the question. What type of calcium/magnesium do you take? Do you take a combination form or separate tablets? When do you take them, and how much at each dose? 1200 or 1500 mg of calcium sounds like a lot. I'm just so afraid of being even more constipated. I tend to alternate between c & d but more often c.
Thanks again. I'll definately have to try this posting thing again. It's great. And I need a lot of help as my symptoms are totally out of control and the pain is pretty severe as is the depression from dealing with this. Are you on an antidepressent, if that isn't too personal a question.
Thanks again,
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

For Nikkiz52 new
      #116662 - 10/28/04 10:00 AM
Augie

Does your doctor feel that the calcium is enough for you. My bone doctor feels that I need a more aggressive approach. Plus the calcium is so constipating.
Thanks for your response

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (10/28/04 10:08 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1622

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review