All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hot chocolate or Chai tea latte with soy?
      #116137 - 10/26/04 06:59 PM

Unregistered

I have ibs-c and was wondering what everyone's thoughts on these two drinks are. Also, anyone know of a hot cocoa that is safe? thanks!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hot chocolate or Chai tea latte with soy? new
      #116139 - 10/26/04 07:11 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

There are a couple of safe hot chocolate recipies on the Recipie Board. As for the chai tea latte, I know Heather reccomends that we only drink herbal teas since regular tea (even green tea) contains GI stimulants. Maybe someone else will have some better advice .

Meg

#116155 - 10/26/04 08:27 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

hi! I know that the Ghiardelli hot chocolate is safe! Hope this helps. It's yummy too!

#116199 - 10/27/04 03:49 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I've had a "white" hot chocolate and make it with soy milk. It has a different taste than regular chocolate milk but no caffeine.

#116214 - 10/27/04 05:24 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Funny I was just going to post that- make the chiradelli hot chocolate mixes with hot soy/rice milk if you want a quick solution.. I use other things and make my own for the most part, but keep one in the cupboard for a fast treat anyway!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

low/no caffeine tea is OK for most people! new
      #116217 - 10/27/04 06:10 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

As for the chai tea latte, I know Heather reccomends that we only drink herbal teas since regular tea (even green tea) contains GI stimulants.

Actually, Heather has several green tea recipes in her cookbook! Green tea doesn't have all that much caffeine, although you could get decaf green tea if you're not very stable or if you're particularly sensitive to caffeine.

As for black tea, I drink decaf black tea all the time and you can get decaf chai at most grocery stores. I do indulge in regular black tea and chai on occasions, but no more than once a week and only if I'm stable (and I'm IBS-C, so sometimes a little extra stimulation is needed ). Note that some people react badly to the tannins in black tea, so it's not guaranteed to be safe.

The two things you do need to avoid are pop and coffee, even without caffeine. Carbonation is problematic, and coffee contains enzymes that are really tough on the tummy.

--AC, trying to decide between decaf Lady Grey and decaf Tazo Chai for this morning's beverage

#116340 - 10/27/04 12:06 PM

Unregistered

Thanks everyone! I wonder where I would purchase the Ghiardelli? I don't think there is a store near me. Great advice though

#116350 - 10/27/04 12:34 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I just buy Silk chocolate soy milk and warm it up in the microwave. Tastes very good!

Leigh

Re: low/no caffeine tea is OK for most people! new
      #117224 - 10/30/04 07:54 AM
tribarkin

Reged: 03/30/04
Loc: Holden, MA

One thing that I really love is the Tazo Chi Tea Latte made with Soy Milk. I too allow myself a treat once a weekend by going to Starbuck's or Barnes & Noble with my hubby. I do have the Tazo Chi teabags at home as well as Good Earth brand in regular & decaf and drink those once and a while, but mostly stick to my herbal teas. I'm drinking my fenel tea as I write, but dreaming of the time when I'm over my C to be able to indulge myself with a Chi latte one of these days.

--------------------
Jody Champlin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2146

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review