Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Accacia Fiber - Concern about Residue
      #115828 - 10/25/04 06:57 PM
Sheryl

Reged: 10/04/04
Loc: PA

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have had a similar experience. I have been recently working with the Accacia Fiber and one time after taking it, I put my spoon down on a napkin and the gel reside that was on the spoon formed a glossy thin veneer onto the napkin. When I went to try to peel it off...it was permanently stuck to the napkin. My concern is...is this what is happening to the inside of my body when I take this fiber? Does this fiber turn into a glossy glue-like substance and adhere to the sides of the intestines as moisture dries up inside the intestines?

Also I'm concerned that oatmeal and the white flour may also be coating my intestines and clog my intestines eventually as well...it being gluey as well?

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

I'm also very constipated right now...with the Fibercon, Accacia and Citrucel (which I've been alternating)...and I'm taking 32 - 64 oz. of water a day. Ugh.

--------------------
To every problem, the answer is love.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Accacia Fiber - Concern about Residue new
      #115833 - 10/25/04 07:23 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hi Sheryl!

None of these things will "coat" or "clog" your intestines, so fear not. To read more about how soluble fiber works in your system, click here (and scroll down past the food list for the relevant paragraphs). Basically, that "gel" is exactly what helps your intestines' function normalize, giving them something easily-moveable to "grip" onto as they contract... not causing anything to stick on the way out.

As a side note, 32-64oz is not really enough water, especially if you're C. I would drink 64oz a day at an absolute minimum; you should be aiming for more than that. That's the tricky part about this soluble fiber stuff - it needs a lot of water to work properly.

I'm not sure how long you've been following the diet, but have you started working insolubles back in, safely? That will definitely help the C, too.

Good luck!

#115861 - 10/26/04 02:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It NEVER gets that dry inside you, so don't worry about that! The idea with SF is that it protects your GI tract from the bad effects from stimulants, which is why is helps.

IMHO, I'd stick to one SFS or at least take the same two all the time. I'd have thought your body wouldn't acclimatise as well if you're constantly switching them.

#115888 - 10/26/04 07:45 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, thats not very much water!! Try adding in some more insolubles into your diet as mentioned. Another thing to try, if you contimue to be C, try some stool softners. They are ok to take either just as needed or on a regular basis. They are not a laxative and you won't become dependant on them. Also, I can not emphasize how much exercise helps! I am also IBS C and just went through a REALLY BAD 6 weeks. I take miralax, which is a laxative and you can become dependant on, so I trypically don't get C anymore. But, I had SEVERE pain, it was so bad I was taking Vicodin and Xanax just to get through the day without crying from the pain. Anyway, once I started working out again, it really got much better. I used to work out about 5 times a week on an eliptical trainer at home but this past summer I've had some other medical things going on and I stopped working out. By tummy snowballed into a severe attack. After 6 weeks, a ton of drugs, two dr's appts, I finally FORCED myself to work out and within a week, I started to feel better. Even taking a long walk in the morning or after dinner will help. I know its hard to do when you feel sick but it does help.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#116111 - 10/26/04 05:30 PM
Sheryl

Hi Rose,

Thanks for allaying my fear. I went to presentations by Dr. Joel Furhman, Dr. Gabriel Cousins, Dean Martens, Brian Clement, Dough Grahm, and recently Gary Null. All of these men are big names in the alternative healthcare field. And they all say that oatmeal is like putting glue into your body and that white flour products are baked which means they create accrilyides which (long term) causes the system to become clogged. They all shun white flour very vehemently. And then when I saw the Accacia when it dried up...stick to the napkin like that...my eyes got big and I said to myself....Geezzzz what will this do inside of me if this is what it does on the outside. But I do hear you about the water consumption. I'm probably not drinking enough water. So I'll up the anti on this. And then I think I went in the opposite direction and have severely limited my insoluable fiber. So I think I'll add my home-made fruit shakes again to the diet. I took Triphala last night and tonight to get myself cleaned out. This is a very, very gentle and natural Indian laxative that I picked up at the Health food store.

And I hear you...I shouldn't be jumping around with the fiber supplements. I'll try to be more judicious about using the Accacia for now and only taking the Fibercon when I forget to pack the Accacia with me when I go to work.

Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions and allaying my fears.

--------------------

#116115 - 10/26/04 05:38 PM
Sheryl

Hi Michele,

I'll try to be more consistent about the exercise. I have an Elliptical trainer in the basement...but I'm not consistent with using it. I did some yoga this morning. That felt wonderful...so I think I'm going to try to do that in the mornings...and if I'm able to...do the Elliptical trainer at night before I make dinner. But I'm a technical writer. Even though I'm full time...when I'm off assignment...life is a basic 40 hours...but when I'm "on assignment", then I work 45 minimally...then I get to bed late...you know the drill. And on this new diet...I'm gaining weight now. I have to get a hold on the eating or I'll be a blimp. I'm really enjoying that Sour Dough bread and the low fat Grahm crackers and white rice. All of these foods were absolutely off limits when I was on the raw food diet...but of course..my stomach always looked like I was pregnant most of the time and the pain was excruciating. So I'm still finding my way to creating balance. I've been on Heather's diet now for three weeks...so I'm a newbie to her program.

So grateful to have you guys here to talk to. What a God-send.

So you are O.K. now? When you are exercising, you are in balance?
Thanks.

--------------------

#116116 - 10/26/04 05:41 PM
Sheryl

Good point, Linz. I have been bouncing around between the three fibers..and that could be setting me off. I found that my body required less water, perhaps, with the Citricel...but may require more water with the Accacia powder. I never considered that. I guess I'll just spend the day running back and forth to the Ladies room. Hopefully I'll get some work done inbetween. )

--------------------

#116194 - 10/27/04 02:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you keep a high water intake going, you're body will adjust so that you're not running to the ladies all the time!

And please ignore those HF gurus! They don't have IBS!!!!!!

I was just going to add that... new
      #116204 - 10/27/04 04:14 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Please, please, *please* ignore Gary Null and all those so-called "experts". They don't have IBS. Fergodsakes, even the average gastroenterologist can't give appropriate dietary advice for IBS. A soluble-fiber-based diet works. There are a lot of us here who are proof of that.

Oatmeal makes me "go", in a big way... I'm still laughing at the idea that it turns into "glue" in your system. I wish.

Anyway, feel better!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 397 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1284

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review