All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm sick of this anxiety that comes on me in public places (m)
      #115705 - 10/25/04 01:23 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

today I'm at the mall with my 3 year old son. I'm shopping for comforters and I have one to purchase. I'm in line and it's SLOW! I get that familiar feeling in my belly, and I start wondering where the ladies room is. I'm ready to ditch my stuff and just leave the store when it's my turn. As we're leaving, I'm OK, even could pass by the bathroom. I absolutely HATE when this happens. When I need to, I'll take an immodium for the "just in case" but don't want to be popping them all the time. I'm waiting to see if the anti-spasmodics will help.

We'll see.
Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm sick of this anxiety that comes on me in public places (m) new
      #115714 - 10/25/04 01:34 PM
itgreyhound1

Reged: 07/27/04

Sandy, I'm with you. There are just some things that set me off, no matter what.

For example, when I call my mom, I can only last about 10-15 minutes before my IBS kicks in. Wonder what that says?

Other places/times I know it will kick in:
1. When I have to speak publicly (and this never was a problem before, I was in all kinds of theater and debate in HS)
2. At the mall or grocery store(Now I just run in, buy stuff and leave)
3. At my wedding (I took 8, count em, 8 immodium between 8am and 2pm)
I'm ready to try the hypnosis thing--I do the diet thing, and it's helped, but clearly these events are not diet related!

Meredith

#115715 - 10/25/04 01:34 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

This used to happen to me ALL the time, Sandy! Luckily I've taught myself to calm down since then and don't experience much of this anymore.

However, I'd recommend checking out the hypnosis CDs in the store on this site. They've worked wonders for others here and were created just to help IBSers with situations like yours.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#115751 - 10/25/04 03:03 PM
Sandyg

I didn't have IBS when I got married but if I had, I'd probably would have downed just as many!!

Stress for me is the greatest enemy, more than diet.

Sandy

I am the same way new
      #115782 - 10/25/04 04:40 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

In fact I posted a "crazy" anxiety post in the living room about my upcoming trip to Philly. This is what I am doing to try and get things under control.
1. seeing a counselor
2. taking medication which helps for the IBS-D nortriptylene and just filled a prescription for Xanax to take when needed.
3. listening the the cd's and learning to relax
4. following Heather's diet and exercising

So trying my hardest to do all of the above I am learning to manage my anxiety. Today at my session we discussed how anxiety is just like any other disease you have to take care of yourself and work at it everyday, not just when you feel like it. So I am following the above steps and hoping that my day on Saturday will go pretty smoothly, even though I know the morning will be probably be hard. One other tip, I always know where the bathrooms are out in public, it just is one less thing for me to worry about.

--------------------
IBS-D

I understand 100% new
      #115830 - 10/25/04 07:05 PM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I kinda want to cry knowing I am not the only one that goes through this. I get the same way at the stores and in line at the bank or at the stop lights. It is very frustrating if you have one second to think its all over with. My heart starts pounding my stomach drops and I think the same should I throw my stuff down or leave this buggy full sitting there.

That is actually one thing that calms me down I think so what! if I have to throw this stuff down, or leave a full buggy or run like a crazy person to the restroom for a false alarm that won't hurt anyone so calm down! is what I tell myself.(plus I think if I go home and hide I will have to come back and do this all over again). I told this story before so I won't go into detail but I did have a accident in the middle of the mall. (THE BIGGEST FEAR CAME TRUE). Panic attacks started after that. My docter gave me some Klonopin which desolves in your mouth and takes the panicky feeling away. I don't usually use it, but just knowing it is there when I need it is helpful.

This is very embarrasing but I usually spend 1/2 a hour on the toilet before I leave the house making sure I will be able to make it to where ever I am going. I have to be late to everything because I can't take a chance on waiting on anything. It stinks you have to go through this too but you are not alone! Fembeth

Welcome to my world... new
      #115849 - 10/25/04 08:50 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

Hi- can you imagine? I waited on a line for 1 1/2 hours today to vote early---needless to say, there were some moments of feeling that feeling--but I made sure I knew where the bathroom was before I got on line, and I began to talk to people which took my mind off my stomach--practice at calming myself has helped some--I usually get the anxiety to "go" when I am in the car--don't have to go in the house, of course--but as soon as I drive a few minutes--there it is!!! So--guess the point is, you are not alone--
Wish you well
carol

Fembeth... new
      #115905 - 10/26/04 08:14 AM
Sandyg

As you can see from the other posts too, you're definitely not alone! I had an accident once too at work. It was before I even knew I had IBS. It's almost been a year I guess. I'm sure that's why the anxiety comes. And you described it perfectly! It happened today at the grocery store. I breathed deeply and the urgency went away. Half the time I don't go even if I tried. It drives me nuts! I may ask about Klonopin. I have an anti-spasmodic and an anti-D prescription thing. It makes me feel better knowing I could pop one in if needed. One day I hope to be able to go somewhere and NOT scout out the bathroom. Wouldn't that be wonderful??
Sandy

#116017 - 10/26/04 12:52 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I can related all too well. I had an accident at work and called in sick for 5 days thinking I might have another one. Since I have a mortgage and other bills to pay I knew I had to retun and deal with it. I returned to work, but along with me came a change in underwear and pantyliners.

I am much better now, I don't get the panic attacks too often.

Hang in there, this too shall pass.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#116235 - 10/27/04 07:29 AM
NikkiZ52

Reged: 05/16/04

I had extreme anxiety about the bathroom too, which came after having a couple of accidents (at work and in my car). I actually ordered the Attacking Anxiety CD's from the Midwest Center, and went through the program. It taught me how to relax myself. I won't say that I do not panic every now and then, but now I know how to calm myself back down.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2518 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1846

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review