All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
IBS-C'er SEEKING SUPPORT..please don't let this get bumped down!
      #115638 - 10/25/04 10:37 AM
stephanielee

Reged: 08/31/04
Loc: North Carolina

I have been so bloated, C, and am having a lot of pain. I started taking Extra Strength Acidophilus, brand Rexall, for two weeks. The first week it was helping me; I was actually having regular BMs, but for the past week I have been back in C mode. The pain is unbearable most days. I finally gave in this morning and took dulcolax which brought some relief, but I hate laxatives. Does anyone here know how long to take Acidophilus? Has anyone had a problem with it no longer working after some time? I also made a dr appointment for this Wednsday, but every time before the doctors at this clinic have not been able (or wanting) to help me, just give me fiber and food suggestions. I am at my wits end, have tried everything over the counter to no avail! My diet is perfect and I'm active and otherwise healthy. I just don't get it. I would love any advise/empathy from other C'ers out there.

Steph

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C'er SEEKING SUPPORT..please don't let this get bumped down! new
      #115659 - 10/25/04 11:12 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi Steph!!

I feel for ya, really I do. It's seems never-ending sometimes with C. One minute something will be fine, the next minute it isn't.

What do you mean, when you say your diet is "perfect"? Are you consuming any dairy?? That for me is the BIGGEST trigger. Even something that has casein in it will cause me problems.

Are you stressed out? Stress is another big trigger.

Also, are you taking an SFS?? If so, which one? Are you drinking enough water, especially with your SFS. Are you exercising?? There are lots of things to consider.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#115666 - 10/25/04 11:36 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm sorry your having so much pain right now, I've been there, it sucks! Have you considered talking to your dr about an anti-depressant, they usually help with some of the pain after a while. Ask the dr about anti-spasm meds as well. If everything else has failed, have you talked to the dr about miralax? In the meantime, use the heating pad, it helps with the pain. I hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#115725 - 10/25/04 01:45 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I hope you feel better soon....you need to take a very close look at your diet...as far as probiotics/acidophilus goes, I take it twice a day and will take it forever!!! it never stopped my ibs, i just feel like it will strengthen my guts ability to take care of itself.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Hi RachelT new
      #115803 - 10/25/04 05:44 PM
stephanielee

By "perfect" I mean that I eat very healthy. I don't eat any meat at all, no greasy/salty foods, no "junk" foods at all except for the occasional small peice of chocolate. I do drink small amounts of milk throughout the day: in my morning cereal and in some of my teas and hot cocoa, though dairy in miniscule amounts never bothered me before (there was a time I took all dairy out of my diet but nothing had changed). I am moderately active, walk forty minutes a day with my one year old son in the stroller. As far as SFS go, I have tried Benefiber powder, Fiberchoice chewables, Metamucil wafers and Metamucil powder. None of them, even when I had worked up to max doses over long periods of time, worked for me. I am now taking Fibercon, two pills 2-3 times per day, which were helping but recently stopped. You made a good point about stress, though, for I have been having a ton of this lately. I didn't even think of that. Also, I went over everything that I have been eating in the past week and had remembered that I had started eating All Bran Cereal Bars every day this whole week, something that is new and I had never tried before. I figured they would be fine with me since the cereal itself is. I'm glad I thought of this. I'll stop eating these and see what happens. Thank you for helping me go over key IBS triggers.

Steph

Hi Michele new
      #115811 - 10/25/04 05:59 PM
stephanielee

Thank you so much for your input on this. I have read many of your posts about Miralax and am planning on asking my dr about this Wednsday. I'm afraid of ADs, though, because I've heard about losing your real feelings and about weight gain. I really don't want to feel numb. I also don't know about these, like what kinds are good. Would you mind sharing your experience with me? I've recently tried a new granola bar, All Bran, and think this may have some to do with my agony. I can't stand being like this. Everything is patience, trial and error. Thank you again. I really need the empathy now.

Steph

Hi Daliatree new
      #115813 - 10/25/04 06:04 PM
stephanielee

How long have you been taking the probiotics? Did it take a certain amount of time for it to take full effect? How many do you take? I started with two with breakfast but when it stopped working I added another two with a snack before bed.
Thank you for your support, as I need lots of it now.

Steph

#115831 - 10/25/04 07:09 PM
Sheryl

Reged: 10/04/04
Loc: PA

Hi Stephanie,

All I know is if you are taking the Acidopholus for more than a month and you don't take a break from it, that the yeast that you're trying to kill can mutate and a stronger strain develops and then that brand doesn't work for you anymore. The alternative health experts are now saying that we should go on a probiotic for fifteen days on, then five days off. I would go on it for that period of time and then get completely off of it for maybe two weeks or more and then take a different brand again.

Some of us who have IBS have it because of an infection, yeast problem, parasites, and some because of internal inflamation...others, it's hereditary....many, many reasons. I have it in my mother's side of the family...so the genetic code is strong for this type of thing.

I have problems with constipation as well. But I think that at other times I get D as well...because I tend to polarize too much swinging from one end of the spectrum to the other in my soluable/insoluable consumption. Right now I'm swinging far too over onto the soluable fiber side of the fence...and I think that's why I'm so C right now myself. I'm going to soak some organic figs tonight and have a homemade fruit smoothie tomorrow with Barley powder tomorrow (the stuff I ate when I was on a Raw Vegan diet) to get my BMs softer.

It's a balancing act I think between soluable and insoluable fiber for those of us who lean towards C. I've had this condition off and on since I was sixteen...but now being in my late forties...it's gotten more chronic....stress has been the worst offender.

Sheryl

--------------------
To every problem, the answer is love.

Re: Hi Daliatree new
      #115837 - 10/25/04 07:48 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

well the truth is, I haven't noticed a DRASTIC improvement in my IBS since taking the probiotics, but I started them at the same time as dietary changes etc...so I think it was a combination of factors that helped me get better. I take one first thing in the morning on an empty belly and last thing at night on an emptyish belly...I have no intentions of upping or lowering the dose....I am happy with the way it is right now. I have tried lots of things for my ibs and something tells me the probiotics are helping so I want to carry on, even if there is no obvious change. I feel like it can't hurt to take them!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Hi Michele new
      #115915 - 10/26/04 08:34 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Look for a recent thread titled something like Which antidepressants have you tried and have they helped. I'm not a good computer person or I would post a link for you sorry!

Anyway, I have been on several different brands of Ad's. I have never experienced the numb feeling. Personally, I like Lexapro the best and Wellbutrin the second best. I'm currently on zoloft because I'm trying to get pregnant and its the safest one to use during pregnancy. Most of the SSRI's ( selective seratonine Rebuke inhibiters) don't cause too much weight gain. Its more the amitriptaline ones that cause the sugar and food cravings.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7640 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6012

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review