Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Surviving the Wedding
      #11532 - 06/12/03 01:37 PM
Krysiana

Reged: 05/17/03
Loc: NY

Hi all,

I have a wedding to attend on Sunday for a relative of mine. I'm not really close with this relative, but I am obligated to go since it is family (and besides, I just *love* a good wedding!). I have no idea what will be on the menu. What would be the best way to prepare my body for this event?

Normally when I go over to friends or families homes I just bring my own food. Outside at restaurants I insist on getting the food the way I want. But at a wedding I know they have all the meals pretty much premade. If I eat nothing I'll have insulted the family, go hungry for 6-8 hours, and wasted a 60 -70 dollar meal. On the other hand the last thing I want is to keel over during an important moment!

Should I drop down to white rice, oatmeal, pasta, white breads, peeled potatoes, etc. the day before or something? Drink more peppermint tea the morning of?

I know this is kind of covered in the books, but I feel particularly limited when it comes to a wedding. Any advice you can throw my way would be useful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Surviving the Wedding new
      #11534 - 06/12/03 02:26 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Got a cooler? Fill it with safe options. Take a couple bags of peppermint tea with you - caterers are usually very willing to oblige requests for hot water. Have a cup before and after the meal.
As for the cooler - plain white buns, snack sized applesauce, anything you like. That way, you can go outside to your car, sneak in a safe snack (or eat a bit before you get to the reception). Ie crackers, rice cakes, any type of snack you like - preferably soluble fiber.
I ALWAYS have a bit before going in for a questionable meal. That way, your stomach is slightly prepared.
As for the meal, choose safe options and eat what you can. DON't be tempted to eat it anyway - you may not be able to enjoy the reception then.
If the meal is a disaster, you can always go back to the car during the reception and fill your belly.
Heather also takes fiber supplements in the pill form for occasions like this - take a dose right before you start to eat. Just a few ideas.
As for the drinks at the reception, try sipping on cranberry juice mixed with a bit of ginger ale - if you can tolerate that. Otherwise, stick to water or tea and be a designated driver.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#11558 - 06/12/03 06:02 PM
jo1978

Reged: 02/26/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

I just ask for vegan meals.. Not sure about the State, but Aussie caterers are doing some great things now & are usually v accomodating. Guess you'd have to ask beforehand though... A couple of SF pills & maybe bread before and keep off the booze??? Hope this helps.

#11583 - 06/13/03 06:05 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Another couple thoughts - yes, eat carefully the day before and the day of, just to make sure you're not setting yourself up for an attack.
Secondly, you have NO obligation whatsoever to eat what is given you. You have a VALID medical problem which limits what you can eat. If anyone questions you, you can say just that. Or, that you have "food allergies" and that some foods make you very sick. Either way, do not feel guilty about not eating the food if you can't. Also, be wary of what we consider normally "safe" ie- mashed potatoes. Plain, they are great, but catered ones are probably full of fat and dairy. Pack yourself a backup meal and leave it in the car. Do as I suggested - eat a little bit of stabilizing food before the meal, and then if the meal is a disaster, head back out to the car at the beginning of the reception.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#11622 - 06/13/03 02:16 PM
Krysiana

Ok, I'm going in armed and ready! Thank you, thank you!

#11623 - 06/13/03 02:24 PM
Krysiana

No alcohol for me! Never liked it, so that's at least one monkey off my back. Fiber and a mini meal in advance sounds like a good idea.

I'll definitely try to get the best meal I can there though... but knowing my family taste in food though I suspect there is going to be a lot of dairy and fatty foods around (you say vegan and they'll look at you like you have a third eye on your forehead) - but I'll be crossing my fingers and toes (and quietly making a small nuisance of myself with the wait staff).

Thanks a bunch!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1939 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 837

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review