All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS-C - Constipated after eating 'safe' foods for 4 days...
      #114864 - 10/22/04 07:45 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

Hi.. I have recently started the adjusting my diet (removing fats, dairy, red meat), and eating only insolubles for 3 days. I then started in on the fish and chicken slowly. However, was still very constipated and had to take a laxative, as was very full after using fibre supplement. Should I be constipated still as this stage?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C - Constipated after eating 'safe' foods for 4 days... new
      #114866 - 10/22/04 07:49 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Did I read your post right, you are only eating INsolubles?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#114881 - 10/22/04 08:24 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Are you eating any SOLUBLE foods. Your post indicates INSOLUBLE?

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#114882 - 10/22/04 08:31 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I hope you meant "soluble" foods, not "insoluble". Soluble is what you need to base ALL your meals around, no matter what. As a C, you also need to consume insolubles but ONLY AFTER you've had soluble fiber first.

Take it easy on the fiber supplement as well. That should be very gradual. The idea is to let your bowels relax while they heal.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#114891 - 10/22/04 08:51 AM
KimGun

Sorry ... I did mean soluble fibre .....
Have lost weight without the fat, dairy, meat.... and I don't need to lose any as I am thin enough already. Just wondered how long it would take to start feeling better...

#114903 - 10/22/04 09:34 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Constipation takes weeks or more to resolve. Just start adding in insoluble fiber gradually with the soluble fiber and make sure you're getting enough fluid and exercise (yoga twists are great!). Alas, patience is a key virtue with C.....

--AC

AstroChick.. question for you new
      #114946 - 10/22/04 11:47 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Hi AC,
I've been browsing around a little again lately, and noticed that you mentioned a few times how you're a C, but it seems to be that you're doing well, and have some great advice. Now, I have a somewhat strange question, I guess.. would you mind posting (or emailing me at nickyvb@yahoo.com) like a few meals that you usually eat, not just general suggestions, they don't seem to be sufficient for me I like to get very specific pointers esp. from people for whom what they're doing seems to work! If you could like maybe let me know what you ate yesterday, or so, or any other day (or a few days if you don't mind), all the stuff over the entire day, that'd be sooooo helpful!!!!
Thank you much in advance!
-nicky-

--------------------
nicky

#114950 - 10/22/04 12:11 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

You MUST start adding in more insolubles into your diet. Until than, your C probably won't get much better! Try adding in some veggies with your chicken or fish. Try eating some fruit. Insoluble fiber isn't bad, your body needs it, especially if your C, you just have to have a soluble fiber base first!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#114960 - 10/22/04 12:52 PM
KimGun

Thanks Michelle for the advice. I will start adding some soluble fibre... do I add just one at a time per day. I did have a little lettuce with my fish today at lunch.

However, the soreness in my side is still coming and going.

#114997 - 10/22/04 02:46 PM
AstroChick

Strong peppermint tea and a heating pad will help tons with aches like that!

--AC

Meals for the IBS-C contingent - my faves new
      #115001 - 10/22/04 03:02 PM
AstroChick

Sure, I'd be happy to overshare some of my meals.

Weekdays:
* heaping tablespoon of acacia in water & multivitamin & fish oil capsules at 6 am
* pumpernickel bagel with peanut butter (spread thin!) and preserves & a banana & peppermint tea at work at 8:30ish - I've started substituting toast and soy yogurt for the PB&J bagel a few days a week to get more probiotics in me
* lunch of leftover spaghetti or pita with hummous or a turkey sandwich with good thick bread and mustard and some veggies or instant lentils and couscous along with an apple or maybe a small amount of green beans or whatever is in season
* dinner is the heaping tablespoon of acacia in water again with whatever my husband feels like cooking: pasta tossed with some veggies and anchovies, roasted chicken and potatoes and kale, beans and rice (extra rice for me)
* dessert for me is often just some peppermint fennel tea unless we have some No Pudge brownies about

Weekend:
* acacia along with bagels & smoked fish or maybe just tea and toast and egg beaters if we are eating out
* lunch could be soup and toast with maybe a little applesauce or some blueberries
* dinner is again husband's choice avec heaping tablespoon of acacia - I demand grilled salmon during the summertime, but broiled mackeral is yummy too. There's always vegetables involved as well. Dinners out are sushi or pasta or Thai/Vietnamese.

I am drinking water or herbal tea all the time at work, and I feel the best if I do the same on the weekends. I'll snack on stuff like low-fat graham crackers or toast or gummi Ginger Bears (yum!). If I feel crampy, I go for Equilactin and/or a heating pad.

Does that help at all? You can see I'm really not straying that far from the canonical IBS diet outside of trying my best to get some fruits or veggies at every meal, and not being too worried about beans or whole wheat bread or cooking the fruits/veggies a lot. There's lots of liquid and lots of soluble fiber there.

--AC - wanna know my political views now?

Edited by AstroChick (10/22/04 03:04 PM)

Re: Meals for the IBS-C contingent - my faves new
      #115365 - 10/24/04 10:49 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Hey AC! Thanks a lot, that helps!!!!! I will modify what I eat, and see what happens!!!
On the political views.. nay.. let's not get into that here! ROFL
Have a good one!
-nicky-

--------------------
nicky

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6688 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1136

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review