All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
newbie q - "D" now
      #114599 - 10/21/04 08:59 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

newbie q agai...starting taking the acacia - only 1/4 t this morning..had some peppermint t..then the o soy yogurt..starting having "D"..(on zelnorm for a week now)..is this normal? My back is starting to hurt..I guess I should have started on the "boring" diet first..didn't think I had to since seeing such great results following all the other rules. (I am usually IBS - pain predominant since July (severe and constant)/IBS - A.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Lisa Jacob

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: newbie q - "D" now new
      #114683 - 10/21/04 02:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hmm... Zelnorm, if I'm remembering correctly, is for IBS-C **ONLY**. I'm not a C, I'm an A, so I've never tried it, and I don't know exactly what's normal as far as side effects go - you might want to do a board search on Zelnorm and see what comes up. I would definitely call my doctor, though, and confirm that he/she understands your symptoms and really feels this is the best prescription for you.

The acacia dosage you started with (very good, by the way - starting nice and low!) shouldn't have caused D, and the peppermint tea wouldn't have either. Not sure about the soy yogurt. Definitely start over with the "boring" diet for a few days.

Good luck - hope you feel better!

#114767 - 10/21/04 05:45 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

soy, does not work for some people, it doesn't work for me, especially in the morning. In the morning start off with something safer, like oatmeal or a bagel. I start off every morning with oatmean (brown sugar and blueberries added to it) and toast and peppermint tea. And I do very well with that. I am IBS-D and morning used to be the worst time for me, but the oatmeal usually calms things down, it also kind of helps things move along. Since we aren't shy to say gross things on this board....after I eat my oatmeal and toast and tea, I have a normal Bowel movement and then am okay for the rest of the day. Previously before heather's diet I ate nothing in the morning and still had like 5 bursts of D and took 3 Immodium ADs before I could even go to work.

Again, be careful with soy, it doesn't work for everyone and sometimes soy products have carageenan in them which can upset some people tummies.

I agree with Casey! Why are you on Zelnorm???? - nt new
      #114826 - 10/22/04 01:55 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

#114894 - 10/22/04 09:10 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I am IBS-A, and when first diagnosed I was placed on Zelnorm.

For the first 5-7 days I had D, then things started to firm up, know what I mean?

I stopped taking it because of the bad reviews regarding ill affects. I still have four refills on the Rx.

I would suggest that you call your doctor and let him know what's going on.

Feel better soon.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#115048 - 10/22/04 04:09 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

When my doctor first started me on Zelnorm, the first thing she told me was that it could cause D for the first two weeks. If it went beyond the two weeks to give her a call. I had D for the first two days, that I took it. Then everything was normal, For the first two months on it. She took me off of it this week because of other issues.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 545 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review