All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Colonscopy soon
      #11430 - 06/11/03 06:12 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I am having a colonscopy done Friday and I'm a little nervous about it. Although my stomach hurts so bad, I just want to get it over with so that the doctor will know why. My husband is out of town so a friend will be taking me so that she can drive me home. I hope I'm not too groggy when I get home, because it will be Friday night and I will be at home with 2 teenagers! I'm afraid they may ask for permission to do something insane and I'll say yes and not remember later. Tomorrow I go on the liquid diet and get to drink that nasty stuff in the evening. Please give me some encouragement. I'm really dreading this especially with my husband gone and no family in town. I'm 43 years old, but this is when I wish my mom was in town!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonscopy soon new
      #11431 - 06/11/03 06:14 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I just had this done in February, I was dreading it too but it's not so bad. The worst part is drinking that stuff! After that it's really no big deal. I slept a lot afterwards as the sedative wore off so you might want an extra set of eyes/ears on your kids! Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#11432 - 06/11/03 06:34 PM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

When you are drinking the preparation liquid, it might help you to have some lime wedges to suck on. Katie Couric gave this tip on the Today Show. Hope this helps you. Take care.

#11433 - 06/11/03 06:55 PM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

Hi,
I, too, was dreading my colonscopy, but the fear was far worse than the procedure. The nice thing about a colonoscopy rather than a flex sig, is the anesthetic they gave me caused me to remember NONE of the procedure! I've heard from other people that they remembered it but it wasn't bad. All I remember is talking to the nurse one minute, and the next minute the doctor saying he was finished!

However, the prep wasn't fun. What a great idea about sucking on lime wedges! Wish I had known that tip. I don't know what kind of stuff you have to drink, but I had a powder that I mixed with Crystal Lite pink lemonade powder and that made it more palatable.

One hint (sorry to be somewhat indelicate) that I wish I had known was to buy some wet wipes and use those rather than toilet paper. It gets a little raw down there!

Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll do great!
Barb

#11435 - 06/11/03 07:23 PM
Chris

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Kansas

The actual Colonscopy is very easy, they give you some kind of sedative, the only pain I had was after it was over with, because they have to put air in the colon you can get some bad gas, but that comes out when you first sit up, loudly I might add. The gas part can be embarrassing , especially with the doctor, nurse and your mother in the room The prep is the worst, the stuff I took tasted a little like plain milk. The doctor my tell you you can eat jello or Popsicles, DON'T. That keeps you going longer, also take the emima a little early, I got to the hospital and was still going.
Good Luck and I hope everything comes out okay

#11437 - 06/11/03 07:37 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I had this done a year ago and wasn't too bad. The worst part was the prep, but with some good drugs you won't remember a thing. I still don't remember my car ride home. I agree with Michelle - make sure someone is with through the evening to help out.
Good Luck!!

Thanks for the colonscopy support!!! new
      #11443 - 06/11/03 08:35 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Thanks for your suggestions and support for my colonscopy. You guys are great! It's so nice to be able to talk to someone who understands. It's not exactly the type of thing you want to discuss in detail with just anyone. I am not looking forward to drinking the yucky stuff tomorrow night, but I keep telling myself that it's just one night, that I can do it! I have already told my teenage boys that they will have to stay home Friday night since I may be out of it. They are not happy about that but their social lives will just have to suffer one night. Ha! I will have to try the lime wedges and wipes (not together----you know what I mean.) Thanks for the tips.

#11445 - 06/11/03 09:27 PM
Georgette

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Kamloops B.C.

Hi beaglelover

I have heard that you can mix the nasty stuff with Gingerale You might want to check with a Pharmacist. It's a thought, hope that you can do this because this is the worst part. When I had mine I just about threw up the stuff my tasted like pure salt. I was fine after. Hope this helps.
Georgette

#11447 - 06/11/03 10:36 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Oh don't be scared, please. You'll do fine. I guess I'm the only one here so far that had a worse procedure than the prep. I actually was anticipating it the other way around. Did I ever prepare for the prep! This will make you laugh. I set up my bathroom like a mini-condo, complete with all the old magazines I'd been planning to go though, and strung a LONG cable wire in there so I could have a little TV, not to mention the ice chest to keep the "stuff" cold, bottled water, etc. Ok, didn't really have to make my bathroom my cell after all. Started at 5 PM and by 8 it was all over. What the pharmacist told me was that when what comes out is what went in you're over. One tip: I had to drink a cup full of the "stuff" every 15 minutes (watch your time on this one as time goes fast at that route). I knew I wanted to get the liquid down fast so I drank it with a straw and put the straw back in my mouth as was comfortable then quickly and continuously sucked until it was down with only a few gulps. I hardly had to taste the overly salty stuff.
I didn't use wet wipes as suggested here, but a swip of neosporin once clean after a "go". It helped.

Now MY procedure I won't go into, since I think I was unique and it was not pleasant. Let's just say I was way to awake, saw to much and felt even more---but then it turns out I developed some sever hypersensitivity to pain issues with the onset of IBS.

Hope this helps....Kandee

--------------------

Re: Thanks for the colonscopy support!!! new
      #11456 - 06/12/03 03:38 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I just had mine in January. The prep was the worst part, the procedure I don't really remember. I was knocked out, but I remember having some pains, almost like gas pains, that seemed like they would start to wake me up, then I'd just fall back asleep.

After, I was pretty out of it. My boyfried brought me home, and got me all situated, got me something light to eat. Then when I was okay, he went back to work, and I took a nap. When I woke up, and I was fine.

Good luck to you! Don't worry, you'll be just fine, because if I can do it, anyone can--I'm a big chicken when it comes to doc stuff.

Oh, and don't worry about "letting the air out" (as they put it at the doc's). They won't let you leave until you do, and you're so drugged up, you shouldn't care anyway...just let it go! The sooner you do, the sooner you can get outta there!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2581 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review