All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help! I'm 25 lbs. underweight
      #114193 - 10/19/04 05:04 PM
david8463

Reged: 10/19/04
Loc: Florida

I desperately need recipes that can help me to gain weight. Triggers for me include the usual: chocolate, red meat, wheat, high fructose corn syrup, most anything with fat, fried foods, etc. What foods are high in calories but low in fats, and are less likely to trigger episodes? Any recipes would be greatly appreciated. I feel like the incredible shrinking man.

--------------------
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will we not fear.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! I'm 25 lbs. underweight new
      #114205 - 10/19/04 06:07 PM
puddytat55

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: New Jersey-dont laugh!

what a shame....you want to gain weight and have to follow an IBS diet....kinda like damned if you do and damned it you dont!....but seriously now, if I were you I would consult a nutrionist..they would know how to give your body calories without the fat....since sugar isnt a trigger, perhaps certain not-too-high-in-fat desserts might fit into your diet. This is a tough one I might say....I wish I could mail you some of mine (fat, that is)...good luck to you!

--------------------
Puddytat55-I tawt I taw a puddytat!

#114253 - 10/20/04 02:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh, this is easy! Sugar and carbs! Check out the recipe boards - brownies and Heather's breads are all very calorific. And eat lots and lots of pasta with chicken or fish!

#114254 - 10/20/04 02:48 AM
david8463

Reged: 10/19/04
Loc: Florida

I forgot to add that I don't digest wheat (pasta) well. It sits in my gut like a ball of ferment, causing me the most horrific gas. I've tried some of the rice-soy-based brands of pasta and have found only one that slightly compared in texture to wheat pasta. So, overall, pasta is out for me.

--------------------
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will we not fear.

#114257 - 10/20/04 03:16 AM
UrbanRain

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley), Calif.

I would talk to your doctor. Being underweight can be a sign of serious illness, not just something nutritional. Don't take my word for it, see a professional. "Better safe than sorry."

Sincerely, Bob.

--------------------
Life is transitory, love is not!

#114269 - 10/20/04 05:15 AM
court10

Reged: 10/06/04

It's not whole pasta is it? You don't want to do whole wheat. If you have some protein with your pasta it may feel better than just a big bowl of pasta, don't have more than a cup at a time and you should be okay with it.

#114395 - 10/20/04 02:38 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you have a problem with white pasta in smallish amounts then you should def. ask your doc about getting tested for celiac/wheat-intolerance. That's not an IBS problem.

Also, have you tried eating it with nothing on it? This might be obvious to you, but some people think they have a problem with pasta when they actually have a problem with the oil they have on it or something!

#114403 - 10/20/04 03:10 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

David,
Such extreme weightloss really isn't typical of IBS. Have you seen a GI to rule out everything else?
If you and your doc are sure it's IBS, then I would say just try to eat as many medium-sized meals throughout the day as you can. Remember, too many calories in one sitting can be a trigger, even if what you are eating is safe.
If you can't have wheat, try to load up on rice and lentils (in moderation, as lentils do contain isf). If you can tolerate soy, buy some soft tofu and make some smoothies. Just make sure the tofu is low fat. Poke around the recipe archives and I'm sure you'll find lots of ideas.
Feel better,
Amanda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#114404 - 10/20/04 03:29 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'll echo what everyone else has said - if you haven't had the full range of tests, I would definitely do so. Extreme weight loss, if that's what you've had, isn't a usual sign of IBS... and an inability to eat pasta could be a sign of celiac.

I've been needing to gain weight, too - in a nutshell, I developed an eating disorder as a byproduct of a really bad spell of IBS, and I ended up slightly underweight. What I've found that's actually helped a little, believe it or not, is potatoes. Lately, I've been eating the equivalent of 3 large potatoes a day - I eat a big bowl of potato soup for lunch, and then I make 2 potatoes into oven "fries" to go with dinner. I'm not sure of the calorie content in potatoes, but I swear that's what's helped me gain 5lbs in the past couple weeks.

Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1043 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 931

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review