All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
newbie here/gastric bypass
      #114003 - 10/19/04 07:54 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

goodmorning - My name is Lisa. I have two little girls - ages 7 & 5..married 9 years. We live in CT, soon to be transferring to Georgia. Hoping to settle in Coral Springs Florida when hubby retires from the Navy. I am so thankful that I have found this awesome site..ordered all the books, teas etc. Can't wait till it arrives. I guess I have always been constipated/sometimes diahrea..didn't really bother me till I had the violent spams/back spasms this July. I had every test known to man..finally just being diagnosed with IBS. I just read a post yesterday by someone who had gastric bypass as I had..I had mine 2.5 years ago - 110 pounds. Like the other poster said the IBS diet goes against what the gastric bypass "diet" suggest. I haven't received my literature yet so forgive my ignorance:-)...I really need protein first..but with IBS I need soluable fiber first (starch). Our protein drinks have whey..seems to be bothering my stomach (gas and slight back pain). So I asked someone does protein drinks come in soy? waiting on that answer.

My real question (among the many) is: I have been having a bowel movement almost after I eat. Maybe two or three a day now. Is it cause I started taking Zelnorm or is it that I am not used to eating soluable fiber? or am I eating to much soluable fiber with each meal. I do know that I haven't been in pain for two days now - thank G-d.

Thank -you all if you have been able to read this far, and, I look forward to getting to know alot of you and learning from you.

Lisa Jacob
BJake66@aol.com

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: newbie here/gastric bypass new
      #114050 - 10/19/04 10:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Welcome!

You can get soy protein powders to make into drinks. Lots better for you! And protein (in the form of soy, chicken, turkey, fish) isn't bad for IBS, so keep eating it - just eat SF as well.
Ask your doc about the Zelnorm. If you're getting D, then ask ASAP. SOrry, I don't know more.

#114082 - 10/19/04 12:08 PM
JldDolphin

Reged: 10/12/04
Loc: Long Island, New York

I was put on Zelnorm about 8 months ago. I am mostly IBS-C and my doctor said it would help me balance things out. At first you will get D, but that is supposed to stop after the first 2 weeks of taking Zelnorm. It finally had stopped for me. I have since stopped taking Zelnorm, because it only bothered me more during and right before my period. I'm not telling you to stop taking the Zelnorm, but you might want to do your own research online and on this site about Zelnorm (sort or seach on Zelnorm in this site). It hasn't been around for that long, so you might want to research it more.

Really try Peppermint tea, it really does help out. I drink it everyday.

Good Luck & feel better.

#114091 - 10/19/04 12:34 PM
Waverider

Reged: 10/18/04

What do you mean a bowel movement after you eat? If it is a normal bowel movement, then maybe that is a good thing. If it is a violent episode, then I don't know what to tell you. Also, I know that Whey, although some people say no, has a large amount of lactose. If you are lactose intolerant, then whey is not the best way to go probably.

I read this:
You won't see the lactose listed as part of "Nutrition Facts." Steer clear of lactose by investigating the "Ingredients" that are listed just below the Nutrition Facts. Since lactose is milk sugar, the most obvious sources are dairy products (such as milk and whey). See the chart below for common sources of lactose.

This website has some more info
http://www.wegmans.com/kitchen/diet/lactose/tips.asp

Good luck,
Matt

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3406 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 610

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review